PDA

View Full Version : BNI - Business Network Intl (anyone tried this)

twcw5804
01-26-2010, 03:24 PM
For my Verizon Wireless full time job I joined a local chapter of BNI. I've been in it for a little over a year. I'm kicking myself for not joining as my lawn company now. In the spring I got my buddy to join and he runs a full time service, he has done well, seemed to do better on snow removal.

It is fairly inexpensive $300 a year. You go once a week for 1.5hrs and you then lock out your competitors. Most groups have Real estate, banks, Mary kay, and so on as members.

Here is what I'm considering. My town has two local chapters. The other one does not have a lawn care professional in it. What I'm thinking is at the end of February joining, and in October trying to get into a officers position within the group. By doing this I then no longer have to pay the fee while I'm in my position in the group.

My goal is to go from 20 to 40 this year and cut back from full time at VZW to do more lawn care. my VZW will also give me a good winter job.

But has anyone else out there tried this. Check out BNI.com if you guys want to research more.

echeandia
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I looked into it but decided not to pursue it. The reason is that BNI is pretty strict with their rules. You must generate leads. You must bring in guests. You must attend almost every meeting. It is difficult to meet those goals as a small landscape company particularly in the spring and fall.

I do think networking is crucial to any businesses success and you should do it whenever possible (try your chamber of commerce). However, BNI was more than what I could commit to.

whitebp1
01-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Ive done it did it am doing it!! works great if your willing to put forth the effort and time. Once you get to know everyone one envolved in the group and also get to know your customer base youll be able to send referals easily. I get tons of business directly and indirectly form BNI. I would definatly recomend it to anyone who is interested in it

DLAWNS
01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I looked into it but decided not to pursue it. The reason is that BNI is pretty strict with their rules. You must generate leads. You must bring in guests. You must attend almost every meeting. It is difficult to meet those goals as a small landscape company particularly in the spring and fall.

I do think networking is crucial to any businesses success and you should do it whenever possible (try your chamber of commerce). However, BNI was more than what I could commit to.

This was my reason for not joining...I can barely get all my work done in a given week nonetheless something like this at the moment. It is a great idea, but I don't want to get into something that I will not have time for and have to bail out of which I think would hurt my name more than help it.

Big C
01-27-2010, 01:26 AM

Same here my schedule would not allow me to attend all of the meetings....seems like a good deal though from the one meeting I attended as a guest.

OrganicsMaine
01-27-2010, 08:51 AM
If any of you have read the "e-myth" series, would you say that your reasons for not joining are valid?

twcw5804
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
For you guys that have not joined because your too busy please realize I only have 20 accounts bringing in around $13k a year. My full time job starts 30min after the meeting and its just a mile away.

For you that have joined, how many referalls have you CLOSED this year, and what size is your group?

JayD
02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Same here my schedule would not allow me to attend all of the meetings....seems like a good deal though from the one meeting I attended as a guest.

I was told that you can have some one sit in for you at the meetings if you can not attend. So maybe you could still go to a few....

JayD
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I really think I would grow a great deal from this. I have attended one meeting last week and can go to one more to make sure I want it. After that you have to join or get off the pot. I really want to but the only thing that is holding me back is having to have all that money up front. There is a $100 app fee plus $330 for the year plus $25 for each quarter. I have just used up all my funds for paying for three news paper adds for three months, truck lettering, shirts and other things. So I can only hope that spot will still be open when I start getting some money coming in....