PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $1000

MightyMower
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm just starting out, I have 4 customers lined up for spring. I found an investor for my company. He will give me $1000. I have printed up some fliers, so I don't need to worry about that. I have two crap mowers, two trimmers, one edger. I don't have a trailer yet, but I have a Chevy Silverado 2500. What would you do with this money if you were starting out?

punt66
01-26-2010, 07:43 PM
give it back

LushGreenLawn
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Find 29 more investors, so you have enough for equipment, insurance, advertising, ect.

MightyMower
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
I know its not much money at all. I am going to give it back, he is asking for 5% return in five years. Im asking, what would you focus on first? More fliers, Business cards, A trailer, A truck magnet. I'm looking for a prioritized list. I do have my own ideas, I just want some advise from guys who have been in the business a while.

Puddle of Oil
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
36'' wb mower, handheld blower then advertise the rest! JMO

punt66
01-26-2010, 08:08 PM
where do you live? what do you have for mowers? need more info. Have you done landscape maintenance?

Hoy landscaping
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
used commercial walk behind. you can find them under 1000. and what about a blower...

randosh4
01-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Buy more BEER

sawinredneck
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Use what you've got to get what you want and don't play with other peoples money! Two of the hardest lessons you will ever learn!

RodneyK
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Giving back the $1000 is a good move. If all they can afford to give you is a grand than more than likely they would have been on your butt wondering how their investment is coming along. Plus, the second you would have taken that cash you work for them!

First off if the mowers you have aren't going to produce a great cut than you better get that squared away. Plus a blower, can't do it without one really. After that:

Get all your equipment as clean and looking good as possible
Business cards (need these to get referrals)
Truck lettering (professional appearance plus get your truck as clean as possible and fix any little things you can on it so you are not driving a piece of **** around)
Shirts/other for professional outfit
Spend extra time at every stop every time, referrals will be your lifeline.
Any licensing if required (depends on state and could be done first depending)
Incorporate
Insurance
If you can get all this done season one and not starve great job!

This assumes you have nothing to start with besides what you mentioned for equipment and that you can't afford incorporation, licensing and insurance as the very first things.

Season Two: Trailer, other equipment upgrades and things to make you more efficient plus a possible a web presence as well as other marketing/advertising tools. Also consideration of additional service add-ons.