PDA

View Full Version : Reinvesting 2nd season

lawnguy224
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Going into my second season, looking to expand and to be more efficient.
I have about 75-80 Red. lots and approx 10-12 comm lots. Looking to know what your thoughts are as to equipment to consider. My main question is would you go to the dealer and finance a new piece of equipment to maintain cash flow or would you try to find something used and save up the money to buy it.

Currently cutting with 2 21" mowers

Barefoot James
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM
2 men doing this? How big are the props and how big are the commericials. How many hours a week are you spending on mowing total man hours?

Assuming you have powerful backpack blowers (redmax 8050 or echo755 or sthil 650, trimmers (with www.edgit.com) and a trailer I would say to finance or get a used WRIGHT Stander 36 inch RH. You will right off the bat cut man hours in half. I would also get a lawn solutions power seeder and start seeding!

75 homes and 10 commercials? That is an awesome 1st year. Good job!

lawnguy224
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
yes 2 of us, most res are small maybe 10 fair sized 1/2-3/4 acres comm avg 1-2 acres
typical week 6 days 7-9 hours/day.
Where I am located I don't have much dealer support only a Toro dealer everything else is 40 plus miles away. I don't want to get in over my head but I need to be more efficient!
Thanks for the post....look forward to more input

Barefoot James
01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Order the Wright - I'm sure the Toro dude or somebody else can work on it.

RodneyK
01-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I would buy new and finance. With the special finance offers that are usually offered you can get a new mower with easy to handle payments. With your volume, assuming you are charging enough, you should be fine. You could continue to work right out of truck bed but it will be somewhat of a pita with the larger mower. Probably buy a small used trailer. Cutting that much with two 21s is impressive. 36" mower as someone suggested is going to make huge difference! Always like it when high profile areas are cut with 21s and bagged and rest is cut with larger mower and striped. But hey, that is just me!

djagusch
01-26-2010, 09:44 PM
With that many accounts you should be paying with cash. That being said, buy the largest size deck that fits on 75% of your accounts. If it can be done with a 48" then use that, if not use the 21".

Soon enough you'll have all the sizes if needed. Right now I have 72", 61"(main mower), 48", 36"(barely used ever, sits at home with a tarp on it), and 21"(used 30mins a week). Only you will know what sizes will work for your niche.

whitebp1
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
me personally. ive bought new before lookingback it was a waste of money to me. i buy equipment used, mowers and tractors and things of the like. hand helds i buy new. there are sooo many people out there that just "have to have new and have to have the latest and greatest" its easy to find good quilty used equipment cheap. there are some steals out there just have to be patient, do a little searching, and have cash on hand so when you find that deal you can sweep it up.

Sean Adams
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Every person and situation is different. If you are mechanically inclined and have the time to keep a close eye on and repair used equipment, it might be a better way to go. However, buying new is not a bad thing if it can be justified. From the sounds of it, you can justify a new purchase, especially if efficiency is your issue - mowing with a commercial walk behind or even a zero turn will pay for itself many times over. I know it is a cliche, but spending it to make it fits in this case.

lawnguy224
01-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I agree you have to spend money to make money, and I am looking to be more efficient, I figure with being more effecient I can also take on more customers

Grass Shark
01-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Going into my second season, looking to expand and to be more efficient.
I have about 75-80 Red. lots and approx 10-12 comm lots. Looking to know what your thoughts are as to equipment to consider. My main question is would you go to the dealer and finance a new piece of equipment to maintain cash flow or would you try to find something used and save up the money to buy it.

Currently cutting with 2 21" mowers

WOW!!!!:weightlifter: