PDA

View Full Version : Home Shows are starting already

The Lighting Geek
01-27-2010, 04:14 AM
I do several home improvement type home shows and it helps me with branding and i usually get some jobs as well. This last couple of years have been tough for everyone at the home shows. I try to get as much stage time as I can and speak about lighting in general, drawing from my connection to Yard Crashers. Drinking a couple of energy drinks before hand usually makes for an entertaining experience. there is nothing like being educational and funny to get people fired up about lighting. It is from an educational stand point not a sales seminar. I like people so I always have a blast at home shows.

The last show here 3 weeks ago normally is a slow one but this year it was packed with people spending money and many contractors were making appointments.

How do you see the home show market in your area and do you plan to participate? Do you see or get value out of participating?

ChaseLandscapes
01-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Home shows are pretty much useless around here for a Landscaping business..

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Year's ago I participated in a retail trade show, the Cottage Life Show. It was a spectacular success. I could sell my entire installation season from that one show alone with pages of secondary contacts for follow up calls.

It takes a special kind of person to effectively work a trade show. You have to have sales ability in your blood stream. If you don't quite have it, then consider a hired gun just for the show. Your space needs to stick out too. It doesnt have to be loud or tacky, just have something really intriguing that people can see quickly and focus on.

Lite4
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a 10 day show starting tomorrow. Not sure how I feel about one this early in the year. It is either going to be a bang or a bust. I am thinking it is a bit too early and folks may not be thinking about it, but we'll see. I have 20k postcards to give out over 10 days. I am going to be very active working the aisles, handing out cards and talking to folks. We'll see.