PDA

View Full Version : marketing yet again...

The Lighting Geek
01-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Ok, i read many posts about marketing here and I see a variety of philosophies and methods. I thought I would revive the topic since spring is just around the corner.
Here is what I am doing:

I have quarter page and half page ads in 2 home improvement magazines.
I recently revamped my website and am aggressively working on improving my placement in Google searches in the next weeks.
I re-wrapped my 2 trailers and re-lettered my 2 trucks.
I walk door to door and meet and greet people near jobs and use door hangers.
I network extensively with all kinds of contractors and services in my market.
I am involved in Yard Crashers, Home Crashers, Turf Wars, but it really doesn't make the phone ring, but it helps with branding.
I do a minimum of 6 home shows a year and want to do more.
I am carefully doing some radio this spring with tips and info.
I am always looking for smart ways to improve my impact on potential customers.

The people who are surviving this economy, in all forms of construction market carefully and effectively.

What are you doing?
Do you really know who your demographic is and how to reach them effectively?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Wow Tommy... you are a Marketing Machine. You make me feel really lazy, but also enormously blessed.

Perhaps you should start teaching a course: "Marketing for Niche Based Businesses". You could develop a blog and webinar format and sell memberships!

The Lighting Geek
01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
i have been approached by people to do just that, I'm thinking about it.

rnd
01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Visit RNDSIGNS.COM (http://rndsigns.com)to see hundreds of advertising ideas from lawn and landscape companies from all over the U.S. Request a FREE marketing handbook and planner.

Mark B
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I will fess up. I have gone back to work full time with a plumbing service company. This is what I did before lighting & irrigation. I still have some small lighting service. But my demographic is tiny compared to others.

I think Tommy is in the wrong business. I think James might be on to something Tommy.

BrandonV
01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
glad to hear you're re-employed sleep... your not missing much it is COLD in burlington... we'll be wrapping up plants/hardscapes tomorrow, do the lights next week.

RLI Electric
01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Tommy, how many guys is your outfit? Also, do you do interior lighting as well. I've always wondered how many stand alone outdoor lighting contractors there are. Seems that many are doing other things as well. Sleepyhead, that is a pretty diverse change from exterior lighting to plumbing. Always nice to have that diversity under your belt. I hope someday to be lighting only but until then just controlling the flow of electrons will continue to feed me.

Mark B
01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Here is the funny part. I started out plumbing/ pipefitting my senior yr (90)of high school. I did that for 8yrs. Then I got out of it, got into the green industry, self employed blah blah. Now I have went full circle back into the trade. So as the old timers say life has gone full circle for me as of right now.

Glad to hear others are busy.

The Lighting Geek
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Tommy, how many guys is your outfit? Also, do you do interior lighting as well. I've always wondered how many stand alone outdoor lighting contractors there are. Seems that many are doing other things as well. Sleepyhead, that is a pretty diverse change from exterior lighting to plumbing. Always nice to have that diversity under your belt. I hope someday to be lighting only but until then just controlling the flow of electrons will continue to feed me.

Right now it is my foreman, two part time laborers, and myself. I also offer interior design and specifications, consultations, and work with EC's to insure the installation process for my clients is smooth and fun.