PDA

View Full Version : Engine??? New or rebuild, that is the question

capekev
01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a Great Dane Surfer that needs new rear seals....
New engine, or should I rebuild it??? What is everyone's thought on this?
I'm leaning toward getting a new one.

jdyardworks
01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I would buy a new one, rebuilt ones are too close in price to a new one plus there are lots of other parts on your current engine that are probably pretty worn out by now.

SangerLawn
01-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I spent $1,400 to have mine rebuilt and then about a year later it went out….a new one was $2,000.

If you can do the work yourself then rebuild. If you are going to have to pay high dollar for someone else to do it then save yourself the head ach and just buy a new engine

txgrassguy
01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
What all is wrong with the motor?
If it is just seals why not replace them?
I have had air cooled small engines last over four thousand hours without significant work - conversely I have had ones at under two hundred hours grenade like the national debt.
Provided the motor isn't making unusual noises and passes a leak down test - just replace the seals.
I have a '98 or '99 Gravely PM 260 with over 2800 hours and the lower crank seal is leaking. The motor passes a leak down test so I just yanked the motor and clutch assembly and slapped in a new seal.
Total cost was $7.95 for the seal and the time it took me was slightly over 2 hours.
Beats the dog crap out of a $1800 motor.

nepatsfan
02-21-2010, 05:12 PM
drive the mower off a cliff. start fresh