PDA

View Full Version : Gravel/Dirt Driveway Repair

oOTurfmanoO
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Here is my situation:

This is regarding my own driveway.
Every Spring and every warm front that moves through the Norteast turns our driveway into a sloppy mess. In the past (about 3 years ago) I had some stone delivered and spread it as need be.

Then every winter I scrape up the stone when I plow. Then I bring it back up each Spring (as much as I can, it seems to vaporize) and spread it back out.

I don't know if I should be box blading it first or blade/grading it with a backblade on our tractor. Equally as important, what typeof stone should I be using? In the past, it has been a mix of 2B and fines to aid in compaction.

Any thoughts?

Raymond S.
01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Not sure what is around PA, but here in MI I use strictly recycle asphalt, or millings. They come in millings which are a little large, and fines that pack damn near as hard as asphalt once the heat hits them. I had them on my drive for years, never added, never scraped unless I got carried away early in the season plowing snow. Check them out if you get a chance, far better than recycle concrete, slag, or limestone.

oOTurfmanoO
01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Not sure what is around PA, but here in MI I use strictly recycle asphalt, or millings. They come in millings which are a little large, and fines that pack damn near as hard as asphalt once the heat hits them. I had them on my drive for years, never added, never scraped unless I got carried away early in the season plowing snow. Check them out if you get a chance, far better than recycle concrete, slag, or limestone.

Yep, I've heard the same thing. The problem isgetting your hands on the millings.They are not sold locally, but i you get a road crew looking to dump some then you hit the jackpot as long as you are close by.

FYI, I've even heard of people spreading the millings then misting them with diesel to really bake them.

Whitaker24
01-28-2010, 12:04 AM
We got a recycled asphalt last year. Our drive is 160 ft long before the turn an about 20ft turn into the garage. A company was in the area that does driveways with the asphalt. Price was cheap and its still down. It doesnt really get hard hard on the top, we had some run off areas that I had to fix afterward, but for the most part its still in place. Still looks good ect. Before we had gravel that would wash out with basically any rain, father in law would scrape it but one good rain an it looked awful. Now only thing we have is you can see in some place where the water came across it, but not rutted ect. Would do this again in a minute. Cost was $1700. Concret was going to be $8500.

sawinredneck
01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
What do you have down for a base? Around here we have nasty clay, it rains and you are driving on marbles, dry you get cracks one inch or better, nasty stuff!
We have to use 2" or larger with silt to get a hard base then pack it as tight as you can. Once that has made it through the rainy season you can put whatever you want on top of it. Then do it all over again in five or six years.
But without a good base, it's pissing in the wind!

Raymond S.
01-28-2010, 08:14 AM
we have sandy soil around here. About 5' down when digging the basement we hit road gravel (rocky sand), we used that as a base of about 18". The recycle does leave about 1/4" or so on top that doesn't ever really pack, in fact the first couple rains it will track up on the concrete w/ your tires, but after a couple rains it washes down into the base. If you take your foot and kick the top fines off, about a 1/4", you'll see a nice hard pack almost asphalty substance. I know around here it's getting harder and harder to find, you almost have to know someone like the above poster suggested.

Whitaker24
01-28-2010, 10:27 PM
We had gravel put down on the drive when we built the house in 04. We had driven on the same rock for 5 years an he said that would be a good base for us. He did talk about you had to have a good base.

rexxxy
01-29-2010, 03:42 AM
base is the problem
its freeze thaw.
if the base under the thawing material during this phase doesnt allow proper drainage. the water will stay in that upper section of your driveway.. you need a base of 2 to 3 inch rock about 15 to 20 inches then a thick layer of slightly smaller stuff..then you can put whatever you want ontop..you could put sod on it it you wanted as long as you have road barrier between the dirt and the stone... the key is drainage

Crash
02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
I would start off by putting down a fabric barrier, nothing cheap, up here we use Dewitt. This will keep your base from sinking down into the soil over time. Then I would start hauling in 23A stone mix (stone crete), tamping every few inches. Also make sure the grade of your lawn is good, sounds like you might have another issue if you're having that big of a water problem. Might need to do some grading to keep the water away.