PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going box truck

Plow God
01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I am thinking about getting rid of my lawn maintenance trailer and getting a box truck. Does anyone on here have a box truck set up, if so how do you like it.

MrRob
01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
id like to hear options as well

Plow God
01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro's and con's would be extemely helpful.

MrRob
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
security is a big pro in my book.

Plow God
01-28-2010, 07:14 PM
bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yardworks, inc.
01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
You will like a boxtruck, no doubt. If you are just mowing you will have everything you need in one spot plus it will be out of the weather. Also the cabovers are easy to drive for any new employees. You don't have to worry about guys backing the trailer or jack knifing. Plus it is a big billboard for your business. The time you save loading and unloading, fuel savings, and time spent running back to the shop because someone left a tool will more than pay for itself in no time.

Valk
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
What is the approx loading height of the cargo area floor? Are there wheelwells to contend with?

becpropertymaint.
01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
where do you put your grass/waste

Plow God
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Size wise im good, ive been doing this for 15yrs so i know what to look foor in that aspect, i dump everything on sight. I will be going from a 28' enclosed gooseneck to a 16ft box. Does the dot bother you w/the box truck more than they would w/ a trailer?

yardworks, inc.
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
We have our dot number on the truck so its no problem. Actually here in Kentucky dot is cracking down on the guys pulling trailers. Thats just because everybody and their brother is pulling a trailer for mowing and not being licensed.

Bunton Guy
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
How do you fill up the mowers with gas at the gas station? I guess you have to keep a ton of gas cans?

cclllc
01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
How do you fill up the mowers with gas at the gas station? I guess you have to keep a ton of gas cans?

Get an aux. tank and mount it under the box.On the same side as your truck tank of course. :)

threeleafllc
01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
we run a npr with a 16ft box and tail with gates.. it works awsome for our comm. crew... we have a small 15 gallon mix tank and a 25 gallon gas tank mounted in the back gravity feed.. if you cant dump grass clipping on site it would be kinda difficult.. thats the reason we dont run it on the resi crew..
heres some pics before lettering

Plow God
01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a 25 gallon gas caddy that i store in my trailer that i would just have to put in the truck

yardworks, inc.
01-30-2010, 08:05 PM
If you need the ability to dump clippings the SuperLawnTruck has a little side dump that fits between the cab and box. The SLT is a nice truck but kinda of on the expensive side. Box trucks to me seem to have more pros than cons. Also you can set the truck you now have to run landscape and hardscape jobs.

cclllc
01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Nice rig there 3leaf.How do you like the dovetail?

threeleafllc
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I dont really have any complaints with the dovetail..the truck over all is great..DOT was the reason we bought this thing LOL...When we first got it we didnt have the old truck phased out yet so we used the box truck for installs and hedge trimming for about a month. now i wanna buy one for that crew also..overall a really well made truck and well thought out dovetail for my application
Allen

JayD
01-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I dont really have any complaints with the dovetail..the truck over all is great..DOT was the reason we bought this thing LOL...When we first got it we didnt have the old truck phased out yet so we used the box truck for installs and hedge trimming for about a month. now i wanna buy one for that crew also..overall a really well made truck and well thought out dovetail for my application
Allen

What kind of deals can you get on these trucks. I know what that one web site says, but are there any deals on these things...Has anyone on here bought a brand new one, if so what kind of money did you have to put down on it.

yardworks, inc.
01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Neely Coble in Nashville, TN specializes in these trucks. They always have some low mileage trucks with either boxes or landscaper beds. You can also buy just the box from them if you find a cab and chassis. The used boxes usually sell for around 4000 to 4500 in really good shape.

threeleafllc
01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
there is a company in CT that deals with these and they are a fair price.. i have never bought new and never really looked into it after getting the price on this one.. we paid around 13 for the truck with out the dovetail..

STIHL GUY
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
seems like security would be great with this. you could do some really neat things with lettering on it too

T-Made
01-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Aarons Retail Stores buys their Isuzu box trucks for delivery. They run them for 3 years and sell them in Commerce , GA off of I-85. I purchased one (isuzu diesel-48k miles-14 ft. box) for 18,500. I sold the waltco liftgate that came with it on Craigslist for around $600 and had Conyers Welding put a 4 ft. dovetail with extended ramps on back.

threeleafllc
01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
seems like security would be great with this. you could do some really neat things with lettering on it too

yes it is very nice to know your stuff is inside and safe.. Also its great if your like us and dont really have much room for mowers in the shop..We lettered ours up after the pics were taken.Its like a big billboard going down the road....
Allen

Greg78
01-31-2010, 03:23 PM
had Conyers Welding put a 4 ft. dovetail with extended ramps on back.

Just curios what that costs? My uncle has an Isuzu box truck that he is not using because it is an automatic and he likes his standard. He was talking about selling it. Auto, air, nice stereo system and that 4 cylinder turbo diesel runs sweet.

threeleafllc
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
we paid around 1800 for ours...
Allen

Greg78
01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
we paid around 1800 for ours...
Allen

Not bad at all.

JayD
01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
How about this question to you guys who have bought a new box truck or close to it....
Has anyone done a comparison of prices between one of these compared to buying a new F250 or bigger plus add a new 18' open trailer....

I am thinking that buying one of these new box trucks would not be that much more if any at all than the said ford truck above. I would think that insurance price would be way cheaper on a box truck than the ford cause they know your not going to use the box truck to pick up kids at school and what not. When you add all this stuff up, would it not be better to get the box truck? Heck, a new ford like that would cost what, 45,000

CMU07
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
JayD, youre in IN. If it was a primary truck for you, heck even a secondary, how practical would it be for plowing. I like the idea of a box truck personally but thought I would throw my .02 in.

JayD
01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
JayD, youre in IN. If it was a primary truck for you, heck even a secondary, how practical would it be for plowing. I like the idea of a box truck personally but thought I would throw my .02 in.

I will still have my first truck but would like some day to get a box truck's. Believe it or not, I have seen the land scape box trucks here have snow blades on it.

threeleafllc
01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
we ran cost between trucks that we had in our fleet already... and what it wouldcost to put another into service.. ford f350 drw with 18ft ope trailers with all the gear(trim racks etc) the cost diff was almost 20k off from new ford and trailer to new npr...
yes the diff is the npr is not being used in the winter but i couldnt come upwith anymore good plowing accounts.. so i run 12 trucks in the winter i have enough troubles without adding another.. so that was another benefit... the npr actually sits at a winter account with all the side walk stuff in it(blowers,bagged product)
it works well for some i guess
Allen

JayD
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
we ran cost between trucks that we had in our fleet already... and what it wouldcost to put another into service.. ford f350 drw with 18ft ope trailers with all the gear(trim racks etc) the cost diff was almost 20k off from new ford and trailer to new npr...
yes the diff is the npr is not being used in the winter but i couldnt come upwith anymore good plowing accounts.. so i run 12 trucks in the winter i have enough troubles without adding another.. so that was another benefit... the npr actually sits at a winter account with all the side walk stuff in it(blowers,bagged product)
it works well for some i guess
Allen

Thanks Allen....
I'm sorry, but let me see if I read this right. Your saying that that npr truck would cost around 20k more than the ford rig?
I don't plow snow (yet), dont know if I would or not, just not much snow here anymore, well not enough to buy a new truck for plowing anyway.I guess your right thow, it really depends on what the buyer needs.

ryde307
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
We bought an old one and put the dovetail on it to try for a year and see how it worked. Well it worked great and now will be purchasing another one.
As for insurance it is actually more because of weight ratings. But you dont have a trailer to insure and so on.

Turf Logic
02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
We have three isuzu's and are in the process of purchasing our fourth. We have done it both ways and I can tell you there is no comparison to a box truck. The time alone saved unloading and loading will come close to paying for the truck. They are very easy to drive and you are noticed everywhere! The fact of having a mobile billboard and shop all in one should be enough to sell you on the truck. I do feel they separate you from allot of the smaller guys. We like them so mu ch we are going to start phasing them into are a installation line as well.

threeleafllc
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks Allen....
I'm sorry, but let me see if I read this right. Your saying that that npr truck would cost around 20k more than the ford rig?
I don't plow snow (yet), dont know if I would or not, just not much snow here anymore, well not enough to buy a new truck for plowing anyway.I guess your right thow, it really depends on what the buyer needs.

nope its the other way around....

JayD
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
nope its the other way around....

Thats what I was hoping you ment...Cause I am wanting to buy one after I get my other truck paid off in about a year...

That's what I been telling myself, by the time I bought a new F250 or 350 and a new trailer I could just go ahead and get the box. I really like having a rolling billboard.

threeleafllc
02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
yah its a big billboard ill try to get some pics of it all done up..
We usually buy f350 drw with dumping flat beds and 18' anderson landscape trailers. the last one we bought was in 07 and ill never buy another for cutting..
i really wanna get another box truck for a hardscape crew i think it would be so much easier to work out of instead of a utility body..

yardworks, inc.
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Someone had a fuso with a box on it in the classifieds on this site just recently. Don,t be scared if the isuzus or fuso have around a 150,000 miles on them. With proper maintenance you can get alot of miles out of these trucks. We only average around 12-15,000 a year on ours. You can buy one with alot miles on it, if it has been maintained, and get several years out of one.

JayD
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I wonder how much you have to have down when buying a new one..

threeleafllc
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I wouldnt be turned off buy one if it had over 150k miles,ours have around 160k on them and they go everyday and never let us down..

Allen

jeremy's lc
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I have been running a ford lcf since the begin of 08 with a 16 ft box. And i love it wouldn't go back to a truck & trailer for just mowing at all. It saves us about 1 hour per day because we don't have to load & unload equipment. All of our stuff is out of the weather is it look better. Plus we have had no equipment stolen sents we switched. The only bad thing is filling up mowers at the gas stations. I'am working on installing a fuel tank under the body.