PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

MightyMower
01-28-2010, 03:02 AM
So, this is my first year. I started advertising last week. Somehow I managed to get five customers to think I know what I'm doing lol. They all seem to be very interested in my services come spring. This is my first business venture, so I don't really know what I'm doing. Just a lot of research, learning as I go, making plans and setting goals.

I don't really need any words of wisdom or advice from this post. I'm looking more for encouragement, motivation, and success stories, motivational quotes. So when I hit rough spots or I feel like I'm failing and want to through in the towel, I can get a quick pick me up.

I think this will not only benefit me, but everyone on lawnsite. It might sound lame or wimpy, but every sports team needs motivational talks before a big game. Obviously we all need motivation to succeed in business as well.

I did a search but couldn't find any threads like what I'm envisioning. So I'm hoping this thread will get hundreds of posts and hits....or I opened up to shared what I needed, just to feel like an ass. lol

Depending on the response we get from this thread, I feel like it will make or break a lot of guys like me who are just starting out.
Thanks guys, I hope this helps everyone as much as it will help me over next few years while I'm still a noob.

Big C
01-28-2010, 03:43 AM
First, Do a ton of research and develop a start-up plan and make adjustments as you gain experience and grow....sounds to me like your confidence is very low, this may be the same vibe that you are giving off to your customers...be confident in whatever you do, and don't be afraid to make mistakes (it will happen). Find ways to motivate yourself..one way that I motovate myself is reading lawnsite daily, just reading different post gets my mind to thinking about ways to improve my business...you should not totally rely on someone else to motivate you...it starts with YOU! Have you tried working for another lawn company for a while before going out on your own...this my help...this is not an easy venture and there will be rough times when nothiing goes right and the easy route would be to throw in the towel and say Screw-it. My motovation is my 2 young kids, I am building my business so that when they are teenagers I will have something to pass along to them. Before you get started make sure your heart is in it and you are not just doing it for the $$$, because when business gets slow and the $$$ gets slow you will loose the little motovation you did have.....Figure out a plan and roll with it!! You'll be OK Thumbs Up

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 08:40 AM
I wrote this about a year ago for the some of the new people that were having problems. It is the story of how I got started and where I ended up…hope you enjoy?

Go to this link http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=280306&highlight=Words+of+encouragement

MightyMower
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
My confidence is not low. I know I will succeed. You have to admit though there are times that get tough. Im not really looking for advice from this thread, just words of encouragement. To hellp me and others guys starting out.

And thanks for the link, I didnt realize you made a post about this lol.

cutting it close
01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Awesome write up......

echeandia
01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Good story Sanger. It proves that good work at a fair price will get noticed.

One day, probably soon, you will break $1MM in revenue.