PDA

View Full Version : Please help with an Insurance question!

letzgoblues
01-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I would like some feedback on what insurance to buy. Is there coverage that includes the trailer and all the equipment in one package? What are the common rates for coverage? What is the best company? Any input would help I am located in St. Louis. Thanks Bryon

echeandia
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't carry insurance on my trailer. As long as it is connected to my truck it is covered by the truck insurance.

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
This is a touchy subject so I recommend calling an insurance company to make sure. As far as us, all of our equipment is insured on 1 policy including our trailers. This is jus incase they are stolen. If the trailer is hooked up to a truck our auto insurance covers that if there is an accident. Because of our trucks being for the business we could not have normal auto insurance. I think the new police is written as utility insurance

letzgoblues
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
The truck I use is also my family car. It is insured with my wife's car. Will I need to insure it as a work truck also if something happened while I was working? Should I tell my agent that it is also a work truck? This seems confusing. I was also wondering you pay for your insurance and what is covered.
Thanks

letzgoblues
01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
What about the equipment in your trailer Echeandia?

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
The truck I use is also my family car. It is insured with my wife's car. Will I need to insure it as a work truck also if something happened while I was working? Should I tell my agent that it is also a work truck? This seems confusing. I was also wondering you pay for your insurance and what is covered.
Thanks

This is why I said contact your insurance company because it is confusing….ask them if you need to change your policy. If you do it really isn’t that more expensive. Your rep is the only one that can answer your questions correctly….we do not carry nor even know about your policy. Be safe instead of sorry and make a phone call to the insurance company.

echeandia
01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
What about the equipment in your trailer Echeandia?

For accidents while on the trailer and attached to the truck the truck insurance covers it.

It it is stolen it is covered by a contractors addendum to my business insurance.

rnh719
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
I used to write insurance and it really does vary from state to state and company to company. Like many companies will not cover snow removal, some will not cover tree work but others will as long as tree work does not account for more than 10% of your income. I can tell you that State Farm will not cover you for anything other than basic mowing and planting. We were initially insured there (cars, house etc) but had to move our business b/c of their strict landscape policy guidelines. By far the best priced company I have ever been with is Auto Owners Insurance. I used to write insurance with them, along with other companies, when I worked for an independent agent. I know their naming being Auto Owners is a bit confusing as you'd think it's auto only but it's not. They are also better about giving you better and broader coverage. Their website is www.auto-owners.com I looked it up and they do provide coverage in your area. It has taken my husband and I a few companies to get to them (we started off with others and finally shopped around) but the savings was tremendous! Def. shop around and your best bet is probably an independent agent b/c they can shop a few different companies for you. My friend who owns a landscape biz switched to Auto Owners last year and my Grandparents did a couple of months ago as well as they were able to save $100 a month on their auto insurance for the exact same coverage. Good luck! :)

echeandia
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Talk with several insurance agents. Tell them what you do and get their advice. Then you can make an educated decision as to what best meets your needs. What I or anyone else on this forum does is not really relevant to your particular situation.

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I used to write insurance and it really does vary from state to state and company to company. Like many companies will not cover snow removal, some will not cover tree work but others will as long as tree work does not account for more than 10% of your income. I can tell you that State Farm will not cover you for anything other than basic mowing and planting. We were initially insured there (cars, house etc) but had to move our business b/c of their strict landscape policy guidelines. By far the best priced company I have ever been with is Auto Owners Insurance. I used to write insurance with them, along with other companies, when I worked for an independent agent. I know their naming being Auto Owners is a bit confusing as you'd think it's auto only but it's not. They are also better about giving you better and broader coverage. Their website is www.auto-owners.com I looked it up and they do provide coverage in your area. It has taken my husband and I a few companies to get to them (we started off with others and finally shopped around) but the savings was tremendous! Def. shop around and your best bet is probably an independent agent b/c they can shop a few different companies for you. My friend who owns a landscape biz switched to Auto Owners last year and my Grandparents did a couple of months ago as well as they were able to save $100 a month on their auto insurance for the exact same coverage. Good luck! :)

We use state farm for everything except wprkman’s comp including snow removal. I am sure it is like other companies though…you have to get a policy written for that you need. We had to pay extra to cover us for snow removal.

rnh719
01-28-2010, 03:55 PM
That's interesting StangerLawn because in Ohio they will only cover mowing and planting. At least from what I was told a couple of different times, lol. I didn't ask about snow removal though because this was before we got into it a few years ago. And heck, it's been a few years since I've asked State Farm out here in Ohio so maybe things have changed. Your comment just further shows that it varies state to state or situation. We don't pay anything extra for snow removal, but that's good that S.F. does give you a way to get covered for that also :)

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe I should give you my agents phone number…maybe ill get some commission haha lol

Yea, I had to upgrade my trucks to….I think it’s called utility insurance? Can’t remember exact name but that close…I think

They did ask however in quantity I do in other services. Like how often do we cut down trees….if I told them full time that might have changed the out come?

rnh719
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry.. I just realized I put a T in your name before! Haha.. well we are really happy with our agent and in different states but hey ya could get a referral fee for sending people you know locally there. I've never heard of utility insurance! Ohio to IN isn't that far I'm surprised how widely it varies. My guess is yep... if you had told them you cut down trees full time it would have changed things lol but tough to say! I know hear for most companies (all that I've talked to or written for) you can't do more than that 10% of your income being tree work deal... But again... I don't want to sound like a know it all or anything cuz def don't know it all... just passing along what I have learned. :)

letzgoblues
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the input I will call my agent. I wanted to get a ballpark figure so I don't get ripped off because I really have no idea what insurance should cost.

rnh719
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Mine is a little less than $500 a year but we also have a rider covering like $10,000 in tools my husband has. Not like edgers, back packs, etc... it's not typical landscape equipment but actual like hand tools, air compressor ha and whatever other tools I have no idea how to use! So we get all of our coverage for the obvious equipment a landscaper uses, our plow blades and salt spreader, the biggie which is the liability and the extra rider for the tools for that just under $500 a year. And we carry very low deductibles. I don't normally give out that kind of information but I can relate to your situation and your concern and unfortunately they are a lot of agents that will not give you the best possible price cuz it benefits them. Good luck :)

letzgoblues
01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info that seems like a reasonable rate.

KingOfCupCar20
01-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I pay 768.00 per year 500k general contractors and coverage for medical injurys

rnh719
01-28-2010, 07:41 PM
King is right... there are other things included in my policy and most like medical etc.. I can't name all of them off the top of my head. When you talk to your agent I'd be straight up too about what exactly you'll be doing so you can be sure it's covered.

letzgoblues
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I already have insurance and don't plan on having employees for at least a couple years so I am not sure if I would need medical. It seems like $768 is alot to pay but I have to get some quotes. Thanks

rnh719
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I think the medical pay applies to people that you may hurt on a job.. a homeowner or whatever. kinda like your auto insurance has med pay to others... not like medical (health) insurance :)

letzgoblues
02-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the info! Anyone else??? What do you pay and for what coverage?

KingOfCupCar20
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
yea, by medical i mean injury not like a medical benefits package