PDA

View Full Version : Putting Flyers in Mainboxes

74baja
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi all,
So I've been reading here for a while now and have established that flyer distribution is probably the best way for me to start advertising. I'm wondering what time of day is best to put flyers in mailboxes? Do you try to go after teh mailman? Does it matter? I'm printing them on yellow 8.5x11 paper in black ink, as I saw suggested here. Should I fold them? I think I'll make my first round in a week or two.
Thanks,
Jack

kemco
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Im sure I wont be the only one to chime in on this, but putting anything in someones mailbox (or even on the mail box for that matter) is illegal and can end up costing you a lot of $ in fines etc. in the long run. Sure, maybe no one will turn you in, but if the person delivering mail sees a pattern of the same flyers you will probably get a not too nice of a call from your local postmaster telling you what kind of fines you might be subject to if they catch you doing it agin. Just giving you a heads up.

74baja
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Huh. I didn't know that. Bummer. I thought I was only illegal to take someone else's mail. So what can I do now? How else does one distribute flyers?

shelbymustang616
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Heres' what our company does. WE do what you are doing... we get flyers fold them up and put them in cheap zip lock baggies. In these baggies includes a flyer of out services and and maybe 3 little rocks. We'll throw the packet on on thier driveway and the rocks will kepp it from blowing away. :)

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 12:09 PM
We had a customer go out of town last year and ask us to put there invoice in the mailbox. A few days later I got a phone call from the postmaster. Personally I think he just had a serious case of little mans disease. He said there is a $25.00 fine for any thing having to do with business that is in someone’s mailbox or newspaper box without paying mailing costs.

Like I said, I believe this guy just had a serious case of little mans disease but I still recommend calling your post office just to make sure. $25.00 fine per flyer can get really really expensive.

I also know in most cities and counties you have to purchase an advertising license. They are cheap but not having one holds large fines…this license is for flyers only. Towns trying to stop littering. I think we pay like $125.00 per year per city. 2 of the cities around us require it, 1 of them does not

dougaustreim
01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I actually think the Postmaster was wrong. I think the fine is more like 25,000.00. The best place for a flyer would be on the door knob. Personally I wouldn't even consider doing business with someone who through a baggie on to my driveway or lawn. In many places that would be considered littering.

CrazyBlonde
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
If you already have the flyers made, then you need to use em up. I would suggest getting the clear plastic door hanger bags off ebay. They are VERY inexpensive. In the future, you might make door hangers INSTEAD of flyers.

It IS a FEDERAL Offense to OPEN any mailbox without permission. I would never take that risk! They wil slap you with a VERY hefty fine, and postage for every flyer, and possible jail time. The fine is for EACH FLYER, last time I checked it was $300.00 fine EACH FLYER!!!

Crimes and Criminal Procedure - 18 USC Section 1725 Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title. 18 USC Section 1725 :hammerhead: Cheryl:waving:

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
??? I am almost positive that the post master told me $25.00 per whatever you had in each mailbox/newspaper box???? Ether way, if each subdivision has 400 mailboxs….wow…that adds up fast

echeandia
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I thought I was only illegal to take someone else's mail.

Yes, that is illegal too.

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
^^^^^^^^ you guys are killing me here lol...good catch on that one :laugh::drinkup:

74baja
01-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank for the help folks. I haven't actually printed the flyers yet, so I think I'll look into some way to hang them off the doorknobs. Or maybe fold them up and stick them in the crack of the door somehow.

CrazyBlonde
01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
There are 77 Sellers on ebay tonight.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=door+hanger+bags+1000&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=door+hanger+bags&_osacat=0

1000 CLEAR PLASTIC 5½x15 DOORKNOB BAGS DOOR HANGER for $19.00
Item: 110486302668

That would solve your problem.

sweetland
01-28-2010, 07:51 PM
There are 77 Sellers on ebay tonight.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=door+hanger+bags+1000&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=door+hanger+bags&_osacat=0

1000 CLEAR PLASTIC 5½x15 DOORKNOB BAGS DOOR HANGER for $19.00
Item: 110486302668

That would solve your problem.

i just ordered those. 19.00 for 1000 if them and free shipping, its a deal

74baja
01-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Ah Ha! Those look great. Thanks!

John Deere Mann
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Im sure I wont be the only one to chime in on this, but putting anything in someones mailbox (or even on the mail box for that matter) is illegal and can end up costing you a lot of $ in fines etc. in the long run. Sure, maybe no one will turn you in, but if the person delivering mail sees a pattern of the same flyers you will probably get a not too nice of a call from your local postmaster telling you what kind of fines you might be subject to if they catch you doing it agin. Just giving you a heads up.

I been putting a invoice in my customers mailbox for years. Had customer permission to do this. Got a phone call from the U.S.P.S. Explained it to them that i had customer permission to do this. Don't matter it belongs to the U.S.P.S and not the customer even if the customer bought it. Wam $250.00 fine!!!!!!*trucewhiteflag*

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Use the 9x15 bags that way you can see the flyer and you have a better chance of them reading your flyer. Plus, you can put inside the bag a card, magnet, pen, whatever with your name on it.

MDN78
01-30-2010, 09:43 AM
i have never heard of putting a flyer in a newspaper box to be illegal. i know each state is different but that paper box is property of the newspaper company not the postmaster. but i like the door hangers, you know the customer will see them and sometimes it gives you the chance to talk to them.

AAA IRRIGATION
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I got my first customer doing fliers 9 years ago, I always put the fliers between the flag and the mailbox if they dont have a paper box in which case I would use the paper box if they have one.

I get home owners telling me to put the invoive in there mail box all the time, sound like the goverment is worried there going to loose there 44 cents.

Grass Shark
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
I got caught last year placing flyers on mailbox flags, about 20 minutes from when I left the neighborhood I recieved a phone call. It was a ANGRY woman from the post office, she YELLED at me "It is a federal offense to place anything in, on or around a mailbox! If you do it again I will have you fined! I promise!" I said "Ah... Yes Ma'm....yes ma'm... I'm Sorry, please stop yelling at me I didn't know." Of course I did know, but apparently they don't f' around.

TreeClimber57
01-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi all,
So I've been reading here for a while now and have established that flyer distribution is probably the best way for me to start advertising. I'm wondering what time of day is best to put flyers in mailboxes? Do you try to go after teh mailman? Does it matter? I'm printing them on yellow 8.5x11 paper in black ink, as I saw suggested here. Should I fold them? I think I'll make my first round in a week or two.
Thanks,
Jack

Putting flyers in mailbox is illegal as stated. Bribing or paying a postal employee to do it is also illegal. The only way to do it is to go to the post office and pay the fee for delivery to each box. Folding is important as without they will charge you extra, as they will do it for you. At least around here that is the case.

JohnnyRocker
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Heres' what our company does. WE do what you are doing... we get flyers fold them up and put them in cheap zip lock baggies. In these baggies includes a flyer of out services and and maybe 3 little rocks. We'll throw the packet on on thier driveway and the rocks will kepp it from blowing away. :)

This is a real scrub way to do things.

JohnnyRocker
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I got caught last year placing flyers on mailbox flags, about 20 minutes from when I left the neighborhood I recieved a phone call. It was a ANGRY woman from the post office, she YELLED at me "It is a federal offense to place anything in, on or around a mailbox! If you do it again I will have you fined! I promise!" I said "Ah... Yes Ma'm....yes ma'm... I'm Sorry, please stop yelling at me I didn't know." Of course I did know, but apparently they don't f' around.

LOL, So she went "postal" on you?

Landscape Poet
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
This is a real scrub way to do things.

I agree, although it is very common for many types of contractor not just landscapers to do it down here. Pisses me off when I am mowing and have to stop because some A hole threw a piece of trash in the lawn. It is so common down here that I see most people will not even pick up anymore, they just leave for us lawn guys to get:dizzy:

The most interesting thing I have scene recently is this: The contractor puts their flyer in a non addressed envelope, drops it on the door step of the home. Out of curiosity the people pick it up and open it. Got me with this one day when I was doing door hangers. Noticed all these envelopes on doorsteps or under door mats as I was delivering hangers too - went I came to a home in foreclosure I went to the doorstep to see if there was one there too, and there was. It was a irrigation guys flyer.
I think this could be a decent way to get them to at least look at your flyer, I think the curiosity of most people will get them to open the envelope.

JohnnyRocker
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM
That's cool. Just like Tuskawilla.

rosarioslawncutters
02-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Huh. I didn't know that. Bummer. I thought I was only illegal to take someone else's mail. So what can I do now? How else does one distribute flyers?

you can't put them inside the mail box but what we do is we put them on the mail box red flag...

TreeClimber57
02-04-2010, 06:51 AM
i have never heard of putting a flyer in a newspaper box to be illegal. i know each state is different but that paper box is property of the newspaper company not the postmaster. but i like the door hangers, you know the customer will see them and sometimes it gives you the chance to talk to them.

If it is a newspaper box, vs a post / mail box, then you are likely ok. Postal boxes are under federal jurisdiction, and federal laws.

rm25x
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
you can't put them inside the mail box but what we do is we put them on the mail box red flag...
Its illegal to do that as well. They cannot touch any part of the mail box.

rosarioslawncutters
02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Its illegal to do that as well. They cannot touch any part of the mail box.

they cant touch any part of the mail box because is illegal? how about those hooks that the mail box pole comes with to hang up the newspaper like mines? the newpaper company hangs their newspaper there and they are not part of the U.S Post Office ...i dont know, im just saying

SangerLawn
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
This subject is being talked about in about 10 different places. To be honest I really don’t understand why people would even want to take a chance? I know the postmaster told me that the US postal service owns the entire mail box even if you paid for it and it is illegal to hang anything in or on a mailbox or a mail box post with out permission from the postmaster. Of course if you want his permission you have to pay the taxes on it…..

Do what you want too but I don’t understand why someone would even try and find ways around it and risk thousands of dollars in fines. Post mater said $50 fine for each flyer. 1 subdivision will have well over 500 houses…..that’s over $25,000 in fines…..just find somewhere else to put the flyer and don’t take the chance…or talk about it here for hours until you find a answer that is wrong or right but you are satisfied knowing you heard what you wanted to here instead of a fact base statement.

Jaxxon1212
02-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I was told from the local post office that it is illegal to put anything in or on the actual "mailbox", however, they told me that I could put the flyer on the mailbox "post". Also, alot of the mailboxes around here (luckily) have a newspaper slot underneath. Alot of the mailbox posts have "seems" or other areas that you could put them on. Worked for me!! Hope that helps.

rm25x
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
they cant touch any part of the mail box because is illegal? how about those hooks that the mail box pole comes with to hang up the newspaper like mines? the newpaper company hangs their newspaper there and they are not part of the U.S Post Office ...i dont know, im just saying
I am referring to the mailbox itself, not the post its mounted on.

HappyDaysLawnCare
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Check with your local post office, we have had people put stuff on our flags, not sure if it would be considered the same "little man syndrome" or not. One other thing, watch for the areas where solicitation is NOT allowed. Some have watch groups and can be a monster PIA if they catch you putting stuff on their door. They may let it go for larger size outfits, but not the new-guy starting out.

If you already have some customers, have you considered a referral program (i.e. 20% off a customers bill for each customer they refer you)?? I've tried and succeeded, word of mouth is best reference! My husband and I have realtors, property managers that refer us, along with our customers. A little way of saying thank you!