PDA

View Full Version : Not Really new to the business, I just want to go legit

cutting it close
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey name is Eric, I started this love for landscaping when I was about 11. Started with my parents equipment and i pulled it around with my bike and radio flyer; no joke! I am graduating college with a business management degree and while i am trying to get my feet going I will be keeping my full time job. I need help/mentor; i think. So far I registered as a DBA-Doing Business As. I want to incorperate but my fathers CPA and a lawyer i had as a professor cost too much, one $950 the other $700. I am nervous about these online companies and not really sure what to do, I do know I want to incorperate in Delware because they are more forgiving and dont require as much as NY. This is probably the only part of the business im stuck on. I know in order to do more then weekly maintance in NY Long Island you need to register with consumer affiars, but by the time i am done paying them I could have bought 5-6 new wackers. So for the first year I am sticking to weekly maintance. Please any help with incorperating, insurance and anything else I havent thought of. Post info here or email or call.... cuttingitclose@gmail.com or 631-872-1286 Thanks in advance Eric

BearWise Landscapers
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Please any help with incorperating, insurance and anything else I havent thought of.

Welcome to the website, Eric.

My advice about incorporating your business is to go ahead and do it if you plan on running it for a while. I don't know about NY or Deleware, but in most states, an LLC is pretty easy to set up.

As far as insurance, I recommend these three insurance coverages for landscapers without employees (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2008/new-landscaper/).

Let me know if you have more questions about the limits or coverages for the insurance policies.

Good luck!