PDA

View Full Version : Stand on or Sit on

bladelady
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm new to lawn maintenance, though I've been in the landscaping business for years. I've signed up lawns for mowing at high end residential homes, .5 - 1.5 acres. I'll have a small walk behind mower for the detail stuff, but was wondering what's a good commercial grade mower for the larger open areas? sit on, stand on, walk behind? I'm planning on buying it new. Thanks for your help!:)

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Lol…you do realize you are going to get about 100 different answers here right??

If you have the money I recommend a 60 inch rider. That is the perfect size for residential and large commercials. It will open you up so you can bid everything.

I owned or operated almost every kind of commercial mower on the market. Last year I bought a cub cadet commercial mower (THE TANK)…don’t laugh, it will run circles around our exmarks and great danes….make sure to check on out!!!! Been mowing for about 15 years and this is the best mower I ever ran

Bottom line, you have to buy something where there is a dealer near you. Unfortunately mowers do break and sometimes need major repairs. If you cant get the work done because no one services them you screwed.

hackitdown
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm new to lawn maintenance, though I've been in the landscaping business for years. I've signed up lawns for mowing at high end residential homes, .5 - 1.5 acres. I'll have a small walk behind mower for the detail stuff, but was wondering what's a good commercial grade mower for the larger open areas? sit on, stand on, walk behind? I'm planning on buying it new. Thanks for your help!:)

I live only 25 minutes from you, so we have a similar market. If you plan to offer spring and fall cleanup (customers will expect it), you will want to own a ZTR with a vac system. Some high end home owners will insist on bagging the clippings, and the ZTR will be the right machine for them. Most companies in our area run Exmarks, Scag, Ferris, or Bobcat. But there are also fine machines from Toro, Gravely, Deere, Kubota, the list never ends.

I started with a 48" walk behind, but after 1 season, I sold it and got a 52" ZTR with vac. When I got more business, I added a 48" stander to increase mowing capacity.

Lazer Cut
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I'd have to recommend a 60" Toro G3 Diesel mower... the diesel gets 40% BETTER FUEL CONSUMPTION then the 60" gas... I was going to buy the 60" but didnt have the need since a 3 and 5 acre place I bid on went with a bigger more "experienced" company. So I bought a 52"... great for my resi's and works great on my commercial 1-2 acres and also have a place thats about 95k sqft of grass and trees... so like 2.4 acres about?? I'd recommend a stander just because the versatility but if you are going to bag and what not I'd get the rider and if you already have a decent amount of customers lined up that are bigger lots get the 60" if not a 52" is great for the smaller properties but can still let you bid on the plus size places... thats just my opinion... get what works best for you... I cant really sit down on a ztr- to much back pain caused from bouncing and just the seat I gotta stand up if I'm going to be cutting multiple places... for bigger places get a ztr...

Hope this helps...

becpropertymaint.
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
either a 52" walker or if you dont bag a 52" toro grandstand

Lazer Cut
01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Ya def recommend the grandstand for a stand on... my buddy likes the new scag said its the most confortable stand on he's ever ridden... the Grandstand is awesome... the wright stander I demoed kinda wore me out by the end of the day but my grandstand is great... highly recommend one
Posted via Mobile Device

AOD
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I love my 60" Toro rider. There's not many places it can't get into, I can even hop a 4" curb onto a median if I need to. If I'm going to be mowing all day, I'm going to want to sit.

Grass Shark
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Buy a 48"-54" Z Rider
Just my 2 cents :)

bladelady
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone!