PDA

View Full Version : Plowing tips

Dirtman2007
01-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Ok well they are calling for 4-12" of snow here and thats pretty much a natural disaster for this area. I've already been hired to set up some equipment for plowing if it is needed. I'll be doing subdivisions, parking lots and driveways. right now I'm just planning on the Tak 150 Skid steer and maybe my tractor. I've never plowed before so any tips are welcome.

Thanks

dozerman21
01-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Plowing in your TK will get old real quick. Watch out for curb drains and manholes... they will ruin your day if you hit one in your loader. If you're in a subdivsion, I would use the loader to clear the cul-de-sacs since they take longer if you have a truck helping you. Backdrag the driveways, but going back and forth over the curbs will be rough and I doubt you'll get very good traction. The tractor with a box blade would be a much better option on driveways.

If you're just using a standard dirt bucket on your TK, everything you plow will take forever if you're in a wide open area. Your bucket will just keep spilling out the sides. I would try to keep the TK in the tighter areas where it will shine more and you can use the advantages it does have.

Dirtman2007
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Plowing in your TK will get old real quick. Watch out for curb drains and manholes... they will ruin your day if you hit one in your loader. If you're in a subdivsion, I would use the loader to clear the cul-de-sacs since they take longer if you have a truck helping you. Backdrag the driveways, but going back and forth over the curbs will be rough and I doubt you'll get very good traction. The tractor with a box blade would be a much better option on driveways.

If you're just using a standard dirt bucket on your TK, everything you plow will take forever if you're in a wide open area. Your bucket will just keep spilling out the sides. I would try to keep the TK in the tighter areas where it will shine more and you can use the advantages it does have.

Thanks for the tips

I read something on here about using the "Float" button when plowing? Is that better than just pushing down with the boom?

Junior M
01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
turn the heat on.. :p

Dirt Digger2
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
leave the tak in the shed....arguably the worst machine in the snow...the pad style tracks are terrible...i dont want to get you down, just more give you something to think about before the snow so you might be able to secure some other equipment before the snow starts flying

the takeuchi pushing snow will not push up a hill...it just wont do it
it will slide going down a hill...put your seat belt on
depending on "pavement conditions" you will really only be able to push maybe 50 feet that is if you can get started...when you go from reverse to forward all your tracks will do is spin

now granted these experiences i share come from a TL130...maybe a 150 would be different

J. Peterson Grading
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
If you are pushing with the take, keep it on flat pavement (Parking lots) Its going to suck since you are used to pushing lots of dirt and mud with it.

Your tractor is going to be worse.

Biggest thing is keep the bucket flat as possible, don't get crazy. Go out and scout where you might be pushing, so your aren't supprised when your face is smashed up against the window after you hit a curb or something.

J.

Digdeep
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Ok well they are calling for 4-12" of snow here and thats pretty much a natural disaster for this area. I've already been hired to set up some equipment for plowing if it is needed. I'll be doing subdivisions, parking lots and driveways. right now I'm just planning on the Tak 150 Skid steer and maybe my tractor. I've never plowed before so any tips are welcome.

Thanks

Stay off of sidewalks and people's concrete driveways. Takeuchi"s destroy them by cracking them if they are 4" slabs and it's really cold.

all ferris
01-28-2010, 10:11 PM
here's a tip. keep you machine off hills and if you are plowing with a bucket you are in for trouble. There's a reason all snow blades have some sort of trip mechanism.

wanabe
01-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Yep the tracked skid will suck, but its still better than a open station tractor. Everything is just done at a slower pace then moving dirt.

J. Peterson Grading
01-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Slower pace? Have you ever plowed snow? Nothing slow about it. Time is money!!!

J.

ioilyouin
01-28-2010, 10:49 PM
1. Bill without remorse. Things can go wrong in a hurry and you might not even know it. That 10 min job just ate your lunch.
2. look around. Take a few minutes before you start, and verify your boundaries. See if you can find any trouble spots that may crop up.
3. If all else fails turn the takkie South. eventually you'll get here
http://www.miami-beach-travel-guide.com/images/miami-postcard.jpg

wanabe
01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Slower pace? Have you ever plowed snow? Nothing slow about it. Time is money!!!

J.

Yep, I have plowed before. I have even plowed for AB(now Inbev) so I have done my fair share plowing. And I will say this-Get in a hurry plowing and something will be tore up.

tmf lawn care
01-29-2010, 12:08 AM
go to the site and put up marking stick.so u know where the stuff is. i found out the hard way. hit one at like 8mph and breaking my nose on the glass of the loaderi was on :usflag:

Blue Goose
01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Chris, what time is your snow supposed to start and have they changed your forecast any?

bobcat_ron
01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Here's my tip - Stay in bed.

lawnboyblake
01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Yep, I have plowed before. I have even plowed for AB(now Inbev) so I have done my fair share plowing. And I will say this-Get in a hurry plowing and something will be tore up.

Yep,
You definately get paid by the hour then.....I don't..:nono:

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Why worry the snow might be gone faster than it falls if the weather warms back up again.

NEUSWEDE
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
My advice, go to plowsite and line up guys to come down from the north and make money off contracting people out all while you sit in the comfort of your home!

tmf lawn care
01-29-2010, 08:11 PM
i would come down to help u. but the truck not ready yet the plow still not put on it :usflag:

Blue Goose
01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
I have relatives in the Charlotte area and they say they're 'sposed to get thumped with 7" to 13" of snow...:eek:

tnmtn
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
dirtman,
i'm a bit west of you and they are predicting crazy amounts for us as well. so far it has started as very wet snow. it doesn't seem like the temp is dropping like they were thinking. wet snow seems easier for me and i plow with a backhoe bucket. my suggestion is to have extra rock salt. i'll be out at 4 in the morning to get started. drag backwards if you are in doubt. float is best.
good luck

Dirtman2007
01-29-2010, 09:22 PM
well there's about a 1" on the ground from within the last hour, its not sticking the roads yet but I'm sure it will later tonight when it gets in the upper 20's.

Takkie is fueled up and ready, just waiting on the call to proceed!

talus
01-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Here are my tips.

1 Get all the white stuff off all the black stuff.
2 Don't wear your flip flops.
3 Don't eat the yellow snow.
4 Try to set up an ASV demo ASAP.
5 Try bumper sliding. Hang on to your pick up bumper as your friend drives you around with your feet sliding on the snow. Yes you will probably get hurt but once you get the technique down it's fun.
6 Peg anyone who is in sight with a snow ball.
7 White wash anyone. This is where you take someones face and rub it in the snow.
8 Make a giant snow woman with big hooties. Or a giant snow p_nis.
9 Practice your drifting skills with the 3 fiddy.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My sarcasm comes from jelously. It's freakin 9 degrees here.:cry:

Dirtman2007
01-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Here are my tips.

1 Get all the white stuff off all the black stuff.
2 Don't wear your flip flops.
3 Don't eat the yellow snow.
4 Try to set up an ASV demo ASAP.
5 Try bumper sliding. Hang on to your pick up bumper as your friend drives you around with your feet sliding on the snow. Yes you will probably get hurt but once you get the technique down it's fun.
6 Peg anyone who is in sight with a snow ball.
7 White wash anyone. This is where you take someones face and rub it in the snow.
8 Make a giant snow woman with big hooties. Or a giant snow p_nis.
9 Practice your drifting skills with the 3 fiddy.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My sarcasm comes from jelously. It's freakin 9 degrees here.:cry:

Ok I've already done #6, and made a #3

Also I've already taken the 4 wheeler out and taken it for a spin.

My buddy made the A$$ of a snowman and said it was too cold out:laugh:

I'll be up all night like a 6 year old school girl:drinkup:

ClearViewGroup
01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
still waiting for it to start up here

MackCat
01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
it started here at 4:30 this afternoon and as of now we have about five inches

Junior M
01-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok I've already done #6, and made a #3

Also I've already taken the 4 wheeler out and taken it for a spin.

My buddy made the A$$ of a snowman and said it was too cold out:laugh:

I'll be up all night like a 6 year old school girl:drinkup:
your like the school girl any other night, the age is the only difference.. :laugh:

Cummins343
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
When I plow for the city in the dump trucks, they teach us some things, See everything, expect the unexpected, get the big picture, see it all. Just make sure you don't find a curb the hard way. Luckily you won't be in a truck with a wing plow. I've taken out soooo many mailboxes with those darn things. Good luck and be safe.

Dirtman2007
01-30-2010, 12:21 AM
your like the school girl any other night, the age is the only difference.. :laugh:

Junior If I ever meet you I'm going to kick you in the nuts:laugh:

then you can hook up with charlie again:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

farmerknowsbest
01-30-2010, 12:28 AM
It actually hit -40F here today. Yikes that was cold. Thank goodness it didn't snow because I don't think the block heaters would have let the tractors start.

Chris, like you said, you are paid by the hour so just keep working until all the snow has melted. HEHE.

I still think you should have rented a Case 580K with 12ft 4 way blade on front. I guess the tackie will have to do.

Warren

nedly05
01-30-2010, 06:53 AM
-10*F here this AM. No snow in sight. The wind was ferrocious yesterday. Good luck with the snow Chris, since you are not on a contract or pinched for time take it easy until you comfortable with what you are doing, watch out for the sod! Can't wait to see your pics and videos from this job!

Junior M
01-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Junior If I ever meet you I'm going to kick you in the nuts:laugh:

then you can hook up with charlie again:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Do somethin!

and can everybody read my mind or something?! ;)

It actually hit -40F here today. Yikes that was cold. Thank goodness it didn't snow because I don't think the block heaters would have let the tractors start.

Chris, like you said, you are paid by the hour so just keep working until all the snow has melted. HEHE.

I still think you should have rented a Case 580K with 12ft 4 way blade on front. I guess the tackie will have to do.

Warren

Screw that, I think he needs to pull the dozer out and move some snow with it.. With as much snow as they are suppose to be getting people wont care what there roads or drives look like, they'll just wanna be able to get out!

:laugh:

Dirtman2007
01-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Well I'm waiting on the call to go! there's a good 4"+ on the ground, most of it is sleet and not snow. Should get about that much more before its done. I'm not sure why but everyone wants to wait until the storm stops before they start cleaning up. I don't know if thats a good idea or not for 8" of sleet:dizzy:

Junior M
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Well I'm waiting on the call to go! there's a good 4"+ on the ground, most of it is sleet and not snow. Should get about that much more before its done. I'm not sure why but everyone wants to wait until the storm stops before they start cleaning up. I don't know if thats a good idea or not for 8" of sleet:dizzy:
its raining here, but slowly turning to sleet.. :wall

I got a feeling we'll be getting some tree work out of this.. :cool2:

Heavyduty1
01-30-2010, 10:06 AM

People are staying in because it's the weekend. If the snow had hit during the week you would be cleaning the banks, walmarts, etc.

Dirtman2007
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
People are staying in because it's the weekend. If the snow had hit during the week you would be cleaning the banks, walmarts, etc.

lol I went down to McDonalds to grab breakfast and they were plowing the K mart parking lot with a open cab bobcat s185. I was like have fun:laugh:

Junior M
01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
lol I went down to McDonalds to grab breakfast and they were plowing the K mart parking lot with a open cab bobcat s185. I was like have fun:laugh:
well nobody ever said us southerners were smart..

:laugh:

Blue Goose
01-30-2010, 10:42 AM
That's going to make for a looooooong day!

bobcatexc
01-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Just remember Chris "poor folks have poor ways" not all of us are fortunate to have a cab machine. I still have an open cab skidsteer, granted I don't plow that much with it just occasionally, just dress in layers and be a man!

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
snap, with the temps we have been getting, single digits with winds putting the wind chill in negatives, you wouldnt catch me dead in an open cab machine. Ill take my heated leather seats and automatic climate control in my f350. thank you!

just took our asv out to warm it up and move it around in this cold. I blew back some piles we had leftover that turned to rock b/c of the warm temps then cold temps. i was really surprised and what it did.

if you want, check out plowsite, most of us plowers are over there this time of year.

Bleed Green
01-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Got any plowing pics for us Chris?