PDA

View Full Version : multi task tools or not

psdnate
01-28-2010, 09:32 PM
This will be my first season. I will be doing res. I'm looking at trimmers, edgers and stuff. Should I go with the multi task tools or not? What are the pros and cons? What do you guys use and recommend?

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
I do not like them for 2 reasons.

First there are more moving parts, the more moving parts the more likely something is to break.

Second we do not use edgers. If someone knows how to use a trimmer correctly it is by far the best edger you can get. I know people are going to tell me I don’t know what i am talking about….but….take a look on my profile at my photo albums…you will find some pictures of my guys edging with a trimmer along with pictures of some edging.

Another words….why waste your money when you can simply buy 1 really good trimmer, learn how to use it to its potential,and keep it for a long time :)

SangerLawn
01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
by the way...welcome to the site :)

hackitdown
01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a Stihl Kombi tool. It is an excellent product. I have the trimmer, edger, hedge clipper, and brush cutter attachments. For 90% of the lawn trimming, I have dedicated trimmers. The Kombi trimmer is mostly for backup.

For a solo guy, it is a pretty good way to go. But if you plan to edge every lawn, switching from trimmer to edger is too slow.

I started with a normal Stihl trimmer. When I needed to get an edger, I went Kombi, and bought the edger and trimmer attachments. That gave me an edger, a backup trimmer, and a platform for the other attachments. I went 4 seasons with that setup. Finally I got another dedicated trimmer since we needed 2 trimmers all the time to keep up. It is a really well made tool, and has held up for years on an open trailer...and employee use. I do minimal maintenance.

mowerbrad
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
The kombi unit is great if you are looking to use it for at least 3 different tools, thats when it's worth paying the money. So if you are just going to be using it as a trimmer and edger, then you may want to look at buying two separate pieces of equipment. But if you are going to be buying several tools (ie trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, pole pruner, etc.) that is when the kombi will be beneficial to you.

My kombi is my backup trimmer, my edger and my hedge trimmer. It is a great unit since it is very easy to switch from one tool to another. But this unit is not my main unit, just a secondary. I think as a solo operator the kombi can be a great tool, as owners usually take better care of equipment than employees do. My stihl kombi is a great tool, just make sure you get one that is big enough to handle all the tools, I got the km110.

93Chevy
01-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I have the Echo PAS system. It is an invaluable tool, in my opinion. It's my main trimmer, plus I also have a brush cutter attachment and stick edger. I may buy a dedicated trimmer this season, we'll see. It's great to be able to have everything you need with only one power head.

Main pro to using a system like this: cost. The attachment run about 1/3 the price of a dedicated unit. Also, my Echo has enough power to cut or dig through about anything.

However, you have to look at it this way: A contractor generally has 3-5 drills in his van. Typically a cordless drill, a heavy 1/2" corded drill, a medium/heavy corded rotary hammer/hammer drill, maybe a heavy right angle drill, and probably a drywall screw gun. Sure, any one of these drill can probably complete tasks normally assigned to other drills, but each one is designed for one or two purposes. Start using them for more than that, and you will loose satisfaction. A PAS or Kombi unit is designed to do a variety of jobs, and doesn't really perform any one function better than a dedicated trimmer, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

psdnate
01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm gonna stay away from the multi task tools for now. Maybe get one as a back up later on.

sawinredneck
01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I love my Shinny unit, but a couple of problems, it's heavy, it's overpowered for just weed eating (you really have to be careful around shrubs and trees, sometimes even fences) and if it goes down, I'm hosed!
I am looking at a small straight shaft dedicated unit just to save some wear on it and my back.

Valk
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Combo's seem great in theory, and I'm sure they come in handy...at times.

Dedicated units are made for their task...not a jack of all trades kind of thing.
String-trimmer, hedge-trimmer, chainsaw, handheld blower, backpack blower = all essential pieces of equipment in my book.

93Chevy
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm gonna stay away from the multi task tools for now. Maybe get one as a back up later on.

Don't think that multi units are "bad"...they're good for what they do, but they don't do any one task better than a dedicated unit. They have their purpose and their market. I wouldn't trade mine in, I'm glad I have one. They're cost savers for a one-man operation.

hackitdown
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
They're cost savers for a one-man operation.

I agree. I am a 2.5 man operation, and I am still convinced they make sense for equipment that gets used less frequently, like pole pruners, brush cutters, or (for me) edgers.

I also agree with the earlier post that they are heavy.

psdnate
01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Don't think that multi units are "bad"...they're good for what they do, but they don't do any one task better than a dedicated unit. They have their purpose and their market. I wouldn't trade mine in, I'm glad I have one. They're cost savers for a one-man operation.

I don't think that they are "bad". I just wanted your guys thoughts on them and how you guys like them so I can decide what I want to get. Is that all you have or do you have a dedicated trimmer and stuff also?

93Chevy
01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't think that they are "bad". I just wanted your guys thoughts on them and how you guys like them so I can decide what I want to get. Is that all you have or do you have a dedicated trimmer and stuff also?

Sorry if I was putting words in your mouth. I don't have any dedicated trimmers, etc, but from using Red Max and Shindy units, a dedicated trimmer is more balanced and lighter, even though a little less powerful.

randyhutch
01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
I have also been wondering about the Stihl Kombi unit and thinking about purchasing it as my backup unit, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, pole saw, and blower? I would mostly be using it for the pole saw when needed and the string trimmer but you could save some money instead of buying seperate dedicated units it seems.

randyhutch
01-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Do you think that if you were to purchase one of these you would need the 130 motor head?

LouisianaLawnboy
01-30-2010, 01:00 AM
I like the multi-use tools. Granted I wouldn't use it as my main trimmer, but it makes an excellent backup and you can make alot of money with it.

I have a Shindy 242 with pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer, and string trimmer attachment. Worth the money to me, and if you use it you can make a ton of money with it.

djagusch
01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I got the shindy m242 and love it. Power broom, hedge clipper, pole saw, and trimmer. Lets the engine get used more with less stale gas in it would be one benefit. Also takes up less room.

AOD
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
It can be handy for occasional jobs, such as if you only hedge trim or trim branches a few times a week the pole saw and hedge clipper attachments can be useful. I would not want it to be my only system, it would have too much use put on it trimming, best to have a stand alone trimmer and use the trimmer attachment as a backup.

Some of the attachments are really hokey and more trouble than they're worth, the bagger/vac/blower some manufacturers have is quite unimpressive (rake, please?) the cultivator is meant for small bed maintenance jobs, not breaking ground or large areas, and is tiring to use (you have to provide the down pressure to dig with your own arm strength, the unit is too light to dig in on its own). One company even had a snow thrower, which was a noisy poor excuse for a shovel.

OTOH, the edger may come in handy, the hedge trimmer has better reach than a handheld unit and the pole pruner can be quite handy.