PDA

View Full Version : walking behind.......

Doc Pete
05-31-2002, 11:20 PM
My friend just mentioned the other day his velky equipped Hustler 54 WB does track nearly as well as his old Lazer rider did, and was thinking about going back to another Lazer. He said it's just a pain to constantly correct for the machine's wandering.
I mentioned the machine will do that unless you change the rear tires, as I mentioned in an earlier post. After listening to him, I started thinking about my Hustler 48 that I actually walk behind and don't velky. It has the stock tires. However, from being spoiled with the great performance in straight tracking at speed, cutting smoothness and overall machine smoothness of the 54 with the tire change, I've started getting picky about the performance of the 48.
I've noticed the machine needs attention to tracking over rough ground, and needs special attention going down slightly bumpy declines. Also, because of the long moment arm of the handlebars, rocking and bouncing is exaggerated in them. This is not a big deal, but on those nights when I regularly knock of 7 lawns after work, it does make me more tired.
Well, since I had an extra pair of 8x20 tires and rims (from my testing days), instead of OEM standard "Formula one 10x18 racing tires", that have about as much cushioning as a "lead balloons", I put them on the 48 and set out to do some major lawn cutting.
After 8 lawns, the change in performance was obvious. Tracking was as good as it gets. The larger tires, with larger width made tire lines disappear, and the lawn looked as though it was cut with a old belt style 400 LB Bobcat, instead of the 650 LB Hustler. The cut was also smoother do to the larger, more cushioned tires. An added benefit was a very noticeable smoothness in the power delivery of the hydro pumps. This part really could be felt in your arms. I'm not sure, but I'm betting this pleasant softness and smoothness in power delivery is from the much softer tires flexing a bit as the throttle is rolled on.
Oh well, for those that care to make their life easier and make more money, have fun reading this post.
Pete

olddog
06-05-2002, 12:57 PM
Is the back of the deck higher than the front now? ...no problem???

Doc Pete
06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by olddog
Is the back of the deck higher than the front now? ...no problem???

OldDog,
All Hustler walkbehinds have a floating deck as standard. The deck is suspended by 4 big steel dowels with holes in them. Changing height is easy has changing the hole location you insert the special spring pin that goes through each dowel. Height adjust takes about 30 seconds.
OK, now to answer your question:) . The rear dowels have screw eyes that attach the dowels to the deck. This allows exact adjust of the deck front to rear. So, all you need to do is turn the dowels and lower the back of the deck to the exact height you want.
You know you "olddog", either you already have a Hustler WB, which I'd be glad to offer you my other "tweekings" I've done to it, or it's time you get down to a dealer and bit the bullet and get one :D
Glad to hear someone out there is actually reading my dribble

:angel:

Doc Pete
06-09-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure about other mowers, but the Hustler WB's are all floating decks. OK, all four mount points are (add a spacer) adjustable for height settings as with any floating deck. Plus the rear mounts are fine tunable by screwing in or out the "Rod end" supports. So, all you have to do is screw out the rear mounts a few turns, and presto, you've just lower the rear by whatever amount you need to compensate for the bigger tires.
You keep askin' them there questions and I'll keep giving the simplest and best answers. After all, this "is" a Hustler WB :D

Pete

olddog
06-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Ahh, you caught me. My banck account is lean and I am hoping for one with a red engine, so I am still window shopping. I was wondering if curved ends or loops on the end of the H-bar would prevent snagging in brush and protect one's hands. I'm thinking something like bar ends on a mountain bike.

Doc Pete
06-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by olddog
Thanks for the info. Ahh, you caught me. My banck account is lean and I am hoping for one with a red engine, so I am still window shopping. I was wondering if curved ends or loops on the end of the H-bar would prevent snagging in brush and protect one's hands. I'm thinking something like bar ends on a mountain bike.

OldDog,
Well as with the other little things I did to my machines. I cut a bit over 1 inch off either side of the bar. This pretty much avoids have the bar running into stuff because of the amount of mower hanging past the bar end, unless you want to do some hedge trimmer with the mower itself;).
Actually, the problem you are worring about isn't a problem as with pistol grips machines, because you can quickly stop or slow the machine down with the other end of the handle. Also, unlike pistol grips, being to slow the machine to a crawl and continue mowing in the tight spots is another "H bar" advantage.
One of my friends said it best, "Once you try the Hustler, you'll never buy any other WB, BUT, you first have to try it" :D .
Maybe Hustler should paint it Red and call it an Exmarko . or paint it yellow and call it a Shaggy.:) :)
Pete

olddog
06-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com

Maybe Hustler should paint it Red and call it an Exmarko . or paint it yellow and call it a Shaggy.:) :)
Pete

Maybe, might just get recognized as the hot new design. Thanks for the info. You sound quite creative!

PaulJ
06-29-2002, 01:20 AM
Switchless
are your the one who added a top speed detent to your walkbehind controls? along with your other "modifications" so when is Hustler going to have these "upgtrades" on their productoin machines?

Doc Pete
06-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ
Switchless
are your the one who added a top speed detent to your walkbehind controls? along with your other "modifications" so when is Hustler going to have these "upgtrades" on their productoin machines?

Hi Paul,
Yes I am. The Hustler rep took a bunch of pics. I'm hoping that Hustler incorporates it in their machines. The past few months I've purposely disabled the system to make a "start fresh" and see whether or not the high end detent is good or not.
Repeatedly, I find the detent makes mowing a bit faster, by accurately holding speed, much less tedious around hedge trimming or other prickly bushes, by not worrying about too much throttle, and drastically reduced turf marring, by elimination too much speed too fast.
It also goes without saying that one handed mowing and turning is "normally" for those lazy hot days, because there's no chance of accidentally grabbing too much throttle and has the machine pull away from you.
Sadly though, the "vast" majority of users can't communicate "what" they don't like about the Hustler when they first use it (full speed available without any limiter), and just tell the dealer they don't like it, and buy a Scag, etc. Worst yet, is that Hustler doesn't "recognize" this. It's kinda like the blind leading the blind. In reality, that's "Just" what it is. Hustler needs to tell most users what they need, instead of offering "tech bulletins" on how good the machine is.
For what it's worth, I already have another company that makes a neat little item I designed for the Radio controlled industry, and if Hustler doesn't pick up my suggestion, I may start offering the High end limiter for sale. Also, with my web site up and running, I may start a Hustler WB "After-market upgrade and mods" site and offer parts and suggestions to fine tune them.
Pete

PaulJ
06-29-2002, 09:26 PM
pete
That's a great Idea. To often I've seen it, in this industry and others, the manufacturers just don't have enough real world expierienc operating thier type of machines and just don't know whats needed. Have you thought of any improvments to ther brands of mowers maybe your own aftermarket control system to replace the whole handle and controls of other WBs. or how about an uppercut deck from hustlers short cut on a WB with a catcher above the deck?? It would eliminate that big bag sticking out the side. just a thought.
What's your thoughts on a Flexdeck on a hustler WB??

Doc Pete
06-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Paul,
I'm fully convinced that double high lift blades will have more than enough power to pack a bagger (rubbermaid box) centered on a WB like the Hustler, or probably any other floating deck WB. Actually that's my next project after I move the mounting position of my Bull rider from the back of the machine to "right behind" the wheel motors.
Paul J,

At the moment my Bullrider platform tilts fore and aft a lot do to the long rear of the Hustler WB. Moving the mounts right behind the wheel motors (using 1 1/8" tubular steel) will practically eliminate any/all tilting of the platfrom.
Right now, after changing the length of the actuator arm for the H bar that drives both pumps, I now can get full pump travel (about 10mph with 20" tires) and still retain the softer turning response and feel of the 5 mph setting. I'd had tried moving the pump linkage all the way to the fast setting, from the "halfway" position I had redrilled them to, but the turning was fast too sensitive and the speed was too jerky.
FYI, it's so fast now that it's almost like a thrillride. Furthermore, the controls are smooth. Of course, this mod will not work unless you do the tire/rim change. Without the change, you will be knocked off the machine at the first bump in the lawn. I'll keep you up to date as I redesign the WB for Hustler;)

Oh yeah, I should settle on a reconfiguration of the grips for the WB, since to run at full pump travel it's get a bit hard to turn the grips against that much pump pressure.