PDA

View Full Version : Install of 1000 Dwarf Mondo - Time??

khutch
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Having never done it, any estimates of man hours to install 1000 dwarf mondo plants (for a 2000 sf area, no real prep needed)

GreenLight
01-29-2010, 08:08 PM
If you can dedicate 3 guys to the job ( 1 spotter and 2 droppers) or if your guys are trustable enough to shotgun them in on even centers without needing a spotter it can be done in 4-5 hours if you hustle and have friendly soil conditions. But with 1000 dwarf the mulching between each of them is the pita unless you are truly bunching them and not spacing them. Also account for an extra 30-45 minutes in simply cleaning up the 1000 3 in or 4 in cup containers and the buttload of flat trays that will be scattered across the globe unless you have one guy who can spot and clean as you go.

White Gardens
01-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I would find an auger of some sort to auger the holes. 1000 holes would take you long to do that way.

If you can start with a clean bed, auger the holes, plant, and any extra dirt you can grade back out in the bed, then mulch, and be done.

esnipe8
01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
On jobs like that I will bring a can of paint, and paint out where each plant will go with a dot. Then turn the guys loose on it. But we usually only plant 1 and 5 gallons like that. Sounds like a solid day for a three man crew with easy soil/digging conditions.

Caterkillar
01-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Till the area with a tiller and then go at it.

mudwisr2
02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Also, mulch it first. It really doesnt make sense to go back and mulch after you plant something on that scale. I generally mulch first on installs anyway. Smooth it back out as you plant each plant. Whole process takes much less time and you will love your results.

Caterkillar
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Also, mulch it first. It really doesnt make sense to go back and mulch after you plant something on that scale. I generally mulch first on installs anyway. Smooth it back out as you plant each plant. Whole process takes much less time and you will love your results.

mulching first is a great idea