PDA

View Full Version : What book would you recommend for beginner

twcw5804
01-29-2010, 12:12 PM
My full time job is right next to a waldenbooks. Is there any books out there that I could read that would help me advance out of just being a mow and go into being able to do some simple landscaping tasks.

echeandia
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Well here in Virginia you need a contractors license to put a shovel in the ground. I don't know about Illinois so you might want to check the laws there. The same is true with fertilizer, pesticides, and herbicides.

Some things that you can do is pull weeds, put down mulch, trim trees and shrubs, aerate, seed, and install sod. There are some good gardening books that will tell you the proper way and time to prune a plant. As far as the other things I mentioned there is not much to them.

Here is a link to pruning books on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=gardening+pruning&x=0&y=0&sprefix=gardening+pr

OUTLANDER
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
everything poops

betmr
03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Ortho Books are a good start. They have books on lots of different grounds topics. Start at the library, see what you find there, it's free.

I got the "Ortho Problem Solver", for Christmas a couple years ago. Cost about $150.00 though.

ProcsLC
03-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Since I don't know what your level of expertise is and since you said "a simple beginner book" I would really recommend checking out this book from John Deere... Its an easy read, good basic info, gives some designs etc, and is pretty cheap on eBay... Here's a link to what I'm talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Deere-Landscaping-amp-Lawn-Care-The-Complete-Gu_W0QQitemZ400105652231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item5d2827c007

Good luck to you, hope this helps.

evanbrendel
03-03-2010, 08:30 AM
i bet the library has some so you wont have to buy

head_start
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
i would try and help you out because im in illinois too, but i have been looking for the laws in this state, but i just haven't found them yet. i learned all the plant stuff from the local elderly ladies whom like their flowers. i haven't found books on land scaping.

JNyz
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Get a part time job with a high end contractor.

White Gardens
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Take the Master Gardners course. That is one of the best classes and the books you get are invaluble.