PDA

View Full Version : What New Equiptment Should I Buy?

CalgaryLawnSalon
01-29-2010, 06:45 PM
At the end of this winter season I will have $25,000.00 to spend on new lawn mowing equiptment and need to know whats the best for my buck.I'm going to need two ride mowers, some back pack blowers, some edgers, and a lerge trailer to fit it all. I was looking at the John Deere home tractors that can get 4 feet cutting width and arnt too big or bluky?

topsites
01-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Go talk to your dealer.

djagusch
01-29-2010, 07:14 PM
2 riders=16ft trailer in most cases. Do you want enclosed or open trailer?

2 nice back pack blowers will be $1100, 2 edgers (or do you mean trimmers?) $600

I wouldn't go with a tractor for a mower. Figure 10K each for 61" zero turns.

So your 25K will be spent with no issues after you figure the extra's (blades, trimmer racks, gas cans, water cooler, tools for the truck, etc)

mowerbrad
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
So if your looking at 48" cutting decks you can expect to pay about $8000 per mower. Don't be going with home owner grade equipment if you are using them in a business. Get commercial grade equipment.

Mowers: 2-48" mowers would be about $16,000

Trailer: 16' open trailer would be about $2500

Blowers: 2 top of the line blowers, about $1000

Trimmers: 2 commercial grade trimmers: $700

Trailer accessories (ie, straps, racks, etc): $1000

Mower accessories (ie, blades, bagging systems, etc): $2000 +/-

Total: $23,200 +/-

Yater
01-29-2010, 08:16 PM
So if your looking at 48" cutting decks you can expect to pay about $8000 per mower. Don't be going with home owner grade equipment if you are using them in a business. Get commercial grade equipment.

Mowers: 2-48" mowers would be about $16,000

Trailer: 16' open trailer would be about $2500

Blowers: 2 top of the line blowers, about $1000

Trimmers: 2 commercial grade trimmers: $700

Trailer accessories (ie, straps, racks, etc): $1000

Mower accessories (ie, blades, bagging systems, etc): $2000 +/-

Total: $23,200 +/-

A used 16' trailer can be found for $1k without much trouble. That'll save $1500. Blower and trimmer racks can be had for $50ea....that'll save $850. Straps can be made (for the mowers) for about $20/mower. A set of blades goes for $30 or so. I don't bag, so I can't help there.

mowerbrad
01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
A used 16' trailer can be found for $1k without much trouble. That'll save $1500. Blower and trimmer racks can be had for $50ea....that'll save $850. Straps can be made (for the mowers) for about $20/mower. A set of blades goes for $30 or so. I don't bag, so I can't help there.

I should have clarified that all my prices are based on new equipment. But you are right, buying good used equipment can save you some money.

Yater
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
I should have clarified that all my prices are based on new equipment. But you are right, buying good used equipment can save you some money.

I have no problem with new machines, but very little can go wrong with a trailer and racks. That's what I meant.

djagusch
01-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Title says new equipment so lets keep to that.

Yater
01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Title says new equipment so lets keep to that.

It also mentions lawn tractors. How about a nice new $2500 16' trailer with 2 home depot deere mowers on it? Thanks for the help.

supercuts
01-29-2010, 09:18 PM
no way man....i was at a sears store (not home) and they had sum lerge craftsman tractors that were sweet and not too bluky. i arnt got $25k but id be all over those if i did.

supercuts
01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
dont mean to bust balls but this looks like a 3 grader wrote and i am left to question your business ability when your talking about spending $25K on equipment at home depot. if you could come up with $25k to spend you should have a good sense of what you will need. when you talk about buying tractors im left laughing thinking you will make more money off the interest of the $25k in the bank. perhaps if there is a reason for a tractor, although i cant thing of one, you should tell us. COMMERCIAL equipment is commercial for a reason. you spend alot on commercial because it will work much faster, efficiently, and reliably then a homeowner job at home depot. if i were you id spend that $25k on a nice college education

clean_cut
01-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, buy used if you can, are you looking for stand-on's or even walk behinds? Go for dealer support, not only your (or someone else's) favorite bands.

groundskeeperllc
01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
If i had $25,000 to start the spring off with, I would buy

1- 61" Grasshopper midmount mower $10,000
1- 48" Grasshopper Midmount mower $7000
2- String Trimmers - $700
1- Edger - $350
2- BR600- $1050
1- 16'open trailer 2' sides $2200
Extreme Racks for Handhelds-$400
4- Fast straps- $100
Fuel Station from Ballard- $400
Mis, Blades,trimmer line,oil - $300
=$22,500
left over $2,500 for fuel, pay bus. insurance for year, Draw for yourself
Just what I would do if i was starting out with 25grand

mowerdude777
01-29-2010, 10:54 PM
DO NOT get tractors they are not profesional at all. If I were you I would get 2 48 inch walk behinds instead

freshprince94
01-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I definitely recommend that you buy good commercial equipment. The Home Depot tractors may seem like they'll do the job, but will not hold up to the abuse and you will put more money into them then they will make you. They are not designed to be used on a commercial basis, they are built to be run once a week and gently used. Most of the "John Deere", "Cub Cadet" etc. tractors at Home Depot are actually made by a notoriously crappy company called MTD and are not held to the same manufacturing standards actual brand name products are.

For mowers, rather than wasting money on two riders and eliminating half your clientele, I would buy one 52" inch zero turn mower, and one 36" walk behind mower. That size Z can handle both big and medium properties quickly, and the walk behind can handle any property the big mower can't fit on, such as gated properties, etc. As far as brands go, I like Gravely, Exmark, and Dixie Chopper, but the most important thing is having a good dealer, so it depends on which brands the dealer you prefer carries.

As far as handhelds, you will need both a line trimmer and stick edger. Many of the guys on Lawnsite use their trimmer to edge. If that works for you, than that's fine. I personally prefer a stick edger, I feel it does a much better job on getting a nice clean edge, and it is way faster. However, it all comes down to personal preference. As far as brands, the only handhelds I and all the guys I know use is Stihl. I have used other brands in the past and I feel they are far inferior to Stihl. Most dealers carry Stihl as it is the number one brand of handhelds in the U.S. I recommend the FS 90 for your trimmer and the FC 90 for your edger. I run both and they have great power, they rip right through both normal and overgrowth. For the blower, I would go with Stihl's biggest blower, the BR 600. It will be a lot of power for just blowing off grass, but sometimes shaving time off in the little places adds up. Plus it will work great if you do fall/spring cleanups.

For your trailer, I would go with the biggest trailer you can buy. You can't fix not having enough space, but having too little space is always a problem. I made the mistake of buying a small trailer and I regret it.

Hope this helps.

joel29m
01-30-2010, 01:21 AM
With 25 grand i can buy everything I need and have about 10 grand leftover. Be wise when you shop and get all commercial grade equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeeCreekLawns
01-30-2010, 01:34 AM
On the other end of the spectrum, I am just starting out and want to get a good reasonable walkbehind and trailer for around $5000. I don't know much about comm. equip so would prefer something easy to learn. Should I be looking at new/used for mower(thinking new might be better for dealer support but I really don't know). Thanks.

djagusch
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I am just starting out and want to get a good reasonable walkbehind and trailer for around $5000. I don't know much about comm. equip so would prefer something easy to learn. Should I be looking at new/used for mower(thinking new might be better for dealer support but I really don't know). Thanks.

Get a new hydro w/b for around 4K maybe a bit more then just buy a small $500 trailer to get by the first year.

djagusch
01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
It also mentions lawn tractors. How about a nice new $2500 16' trailer with 2 home depot deere mowers on it? Thanks for the help.

Well I've never bought a used trailer as they are not much difference in price than new. He has the budget for it. As for the home depot mowers I'm leading him away from the junk.

BeeCreekLawns
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I appreciate that response. Is there a particular model/brand you would recommend for someone learning the ropes ( don't know much about maintenance).

Grass Shark
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
How many accounts do you have? And how excited are you to blow $25,000?

I would buy
a nice 48"-52" commercial zero turn ($7,000-$8,000)
2 good trimmers ($600-$700)
2 good blowers ($1000-$1200)
1 16' open trailer ($1800)
1 Trimmer Rack (a good one that will not beat your stuff up) ($200)
1 2 tier Blower Rack ($150)
Misc. String, Blades, Cage, Oil, ($1000)

That comes to about $12,400. That leaves $12,600 left over for:

Start cutting grass like this and learn what size mower you need next, Do you have a lot of gated yards (32"-36" walk behind). Are you getting huge commercial lots (72" Rider)... Or is your singel rider gettin the job done? You easily can do 40-50 average accounts per week with one Z rider. You have no idea what you really need until you start to see the applications.

Do you get a HUGE commercial client that wants 250 yards of mulch delivered and spread? Thats gonna cost you about about $7000-$9000 for the mulch up front, the delivery and the labor to pay the employees to lay it. Do you want to pass that up because you blew the money on equipment you can't use? Sometimes it can take 60 days to get paid or more, you want to be able to float this.

Insurance cost. ($500-$2500)
Truck repairs ($0-$10,000)
Advertising ($0-$99,000,000,000)
Office supplies (Computer, printer, Software, website) ($1,600)

90% of my properties I can not fit a 61" rider on! Take your time, start it small hold the cash and you will be set.

Take advantage of your good financial position and if you operate properly you are almost unstoppable. GOOD LUCK!

As far as models (in no particular order):
Z Rider: Scag, Hustler, Toro, Exmark, Badboy, Gravely, Bobcat
Handhelds: Redmax, Stihl, Echo

Grass Shark
01-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Heres a little extra info:
Z Riders:
Gravely XDZ 252
Toro: Z400, Z500
Scag: Tiger Cat, Wild Cat
Hustler: Z4, Z, Super Z
Exmark: Lazer Z
Bobcat: Pro Cat (not Procat DX or FastCat models)
Badboy: Lightning Z

Handhelds:
Redmaz BCZ2401A Trimmer
Stihl FS 90 Trimmer
Redmax EBZ8000 series blowers

djagusch
01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
I appreciate that response. Is there a particular model/brand you would recommend for someone learning the ropes ( don't know much about maintenance).

What dealers are close by? Find a dealer that does good service work (hint not always the fancy showroom wins). Scag and Hustlers are what I run as my dealer is 3 miles away and open 8 to 8, drops anything to get my stuff done. I would recommend Scag, Hustler, Toro, Exmark, Gravely, Snapper, Ferris for W/B's.

BeeCreekLawns
01-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks. What is the difference between the belt drive and hydro drive? I would assume I need the floating deck. I am in the hill country so there is good chance I'll be dealing with some slopes. I know there is a dealer nearby that has Scag and Exmark.

mowerdude777
01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks. What is the difference between the belt drive and hydro drive? I would assume I need the floating deck. I am in the hill country so there is good chance I'll be dealing with some slopes. I know there is a dealer nearby that has Scag and Exmark.

I have a floating and fixed mower the floating is noit going to scalp as much but it still every now and then but the fixed is not so good for hilly surfaces

BeeCreekLawns
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll definetly need the floating deck. Seems like everyone likes the Redmax blowers.

mowerdude777
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll definetly need the floating deck. Seems like everyone likes the Redmax blowers.

Yep I like redmax handhelds I am getting a blower in a couple weeks but if you want to save money on handhelds but still have something reliable instead of rebadged homeowner crap called profesional go with kawasaki I like there handhelds enough where I say they are good I had a kawasaki edger but it was giving me to many issues so I swapped it for a redmax

BeeCreekLawns
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
I have always done my edging with a trimmer. Have you ever had Echo trimmers? If so, any opinions?

How is that 5x10 trailer working out? I hopefully will be buying one this week. You have much more equip than I'll have and I have been considering a 12' initially and now maybe even a 16'. I have seen how people section off an area for leaves and stuff.

djagusch
01-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Hydro will work better on hills and has true reverse. With a belt drive if the belts get wet they can slip and the reverse only helps doesn't do much.

I would go floating .

See which dealer seems best between the Scag and Exmark. That should make up your mind on the mower. For the trimmer and stuff grab what your mower dealer sells(one stop saves alot of time).

BeeCreekLawns
01-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I have been told the belt drive would be a lot less maintenance than the hydro. The hydro works better on hills. I am a newbie and don't know much about maintenance. Should I be going with Hydro or belt drive? I am on limited budget to get this going and I appreciate all the responses. Thanks guys!

djagusch
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I have been told the belt drive would be a lot less maintenance than the hydro. The hydro works better on hills. I am a newbie and don't know much about maintenance. Should I be going with Hydro or belt drive? I am on limited budget to get this going and I appreciate all the responses. Thanks guys!

Hydro's maintenance is basically a fluid change yearly or every 200 hrs and maybe a adjustment in the linkage after the first couple hours.

Belt's slowly stretch and will need adjustment when it does stretch. Belts eventually break also, springs loose tension, etc.

If your budget minded look at the belt drive. The Scag SFW is a floating deck belt drive (they also have a fixed deck belt drive). The Exmark Metro is a fixed deck belt drive, they do not offer a floating deck belt drive that I know off.

Swing by the dealers and see what you like and fits your budget. They might know of a used unit in the area that fits your needs also.

BeeCreekLawns
02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I went to a nearby dealer today (next closest) and they offer Snapper, Scag, and Encore. They basically steered me towards a 32" wb Encore Premier Series WB32K13 belt drive (assuming fixed deck, I forgot to ask) for $2199. I told him I wanted a 36" but he insisted I get a 32" because of gates. The 36" would be $150 more. Their handhelds were Stihl, Echo, and Shindawa??. He said Echo just bought Shindawa?? so their were some deals on remaining Shindawa??. A Shindawa?? back pack blower EB633RT for $399. I have an older hand held Echo blower that probaly isn't ideal but $399 is a lot of money. There were less powerful ones but he said it was a no brainer. "While supplies last." What do you think about this? Thanks.

southerngreenscape
02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I just bought a 7 by 16 brand new with side loading ramp and back ramp with 3500 lbs axles for 1375.00 plus tax, trailers down here are pretty reasonable

southerngreenscape
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
also if you have 25,000 to spend i would buy everything new, why would you even think about buying used.

yardworks, inc.
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I would be very frugile with my money with the economy the way it is. If you are dead set on new equipment, great. Right now there are alot of good deals on slightly used equipment. If the economy keeps going the way it is and you have to unload that brand new equipment you will take a beating. The guys with no bank notes and cash in the bank will be the ones to make it through this coming year and grow when it comes back. YOU worked hard for that $25,000, so YOU need to make the decision that YOU can feel comfortable with.