PDA

View Full Version : Plugr aerator tine problem

NafzigerLawn
01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Has anyone used the Plugr aerators and had problems with the tines not ejecting the plugs? I am in upstate SC and own a PL600. I have also seen other landscapers using the Walker Perfaerator, that uses a Plugr tine system, and they do not eject many plugs either.

Have any of you experienced this problem or found a solution to it?

lawn king
01-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Stones and clay soils tend to jam up cam style aerators much more so than drum style. You have to have hammer & punch handy and clean those tines often.

NafzigerLawn
01-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I took the tines to a machine shop and got a piece welded in the top of the tine to ramp out the soil slower. This worked great even in clay soil. The only problem was that this brought the cost up to $50 per tine!

scle landscaper
01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
i have used a pluggr and used to be a small engine mechanic, alot of times you have to elongate the slots on the sides of the tines because the motor doesnt have enough torq to throw the plugs

jeannewyatt
02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
run it in sand before to clean the rust from the tines. i picked up this tip from a golf course near by and seems to work for me.

grassman177
02-11-2010, 04:53 AM
never had this issue, but did have an issue withthe tines not raising high enough to do any reverse action and not hit on lips of sidewalks and drives. i did a little fix with new eye bolts and spacers to shorten the cable in effect to raise them higher.

ever had issues with this?

mds2000
02-11-2010, 09:57 AM
how much wear is on the tines i picked up a used lawnair IV last spring and it worked great on some lawns and not at all on others so i replaced the tines total diferent machine now it goes through any thing.
do not go throuht a normal mower dealer to get them instead find a whole saler that sells them the stuff its like half the price and will only take like an hour to switch over ( its also cheaper for things like flails for a power rake man thoughs are stupid expensive)

froglawn
02-11-2010, 02:04 PM
in hard soils the "cam driven" aerators have more trouble penetrating than the rotary aerators

onebreezer
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
i use a plugr and find that in some soils that are too sandy and dry the soil won't compact into a plug and if it is too clay it might just break up the soil and not pull a plug. usually it pulls a lot of plugs

selaeration
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I have 3 plugrs and love them except for the tines. I buy the split tines with the bird beak, cut them off and weld a piece of threaded rod on it. Works great and lasts a long time. I need to rebuild one of my plugrs as I have worn it out. Great units. Lousy tines

Exact Rototilling
03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I have 3 plugrs and love them except for the tines. I buy the split tines with the bird beak, cut them off and weld a piece of threaded rod on it. Works great and lasts a long time. I need to rebuild one of my plugrs as I have worn it out. Great units. Lousy tines
Can you post of pic of this mod?

sildoc
04-13-2010, 12:48 AM
we use ours and have tons of plugs. I find though if you let a tine wear out it will just make a hole and not pull the plug out. we have fat clay here roots are the only thing it won't go through all the way. Make sure after you use it you punch the old soil out and start out with empty tines.

stippy52
10-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Can anyone tell me where to buy
(or how to make) tines for a Plugr PL600?
My local vendor doesn't stock them but can get them....for $28.50 a pop.

Thanks

indyturf
10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a set of tine from the plugr I had a few years ago. if your interested I will see if I can find them. cant remember if I have 6 or 8 but will take $10 a tine.

grassman177
10-09-2010, 11:26 PM
pics of mods is interesting. we own two plugrs and do like them, but have had a few issues. one is the belts seem to get very stretched quickly and have to re tighten them every few days to keep the tines going strong enough to aerate! what is up with that?? this is on a 850 by the way

NafzigerLawn
10-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Can anyone tell me where to buy
(or how to make) tines for a Plugr PL600?
My local vendor doesn't stock them but can get them....for $28.50 a pop.

Thanks

I am glad this thread re-surfaced. I have contracted with a machine shop to make 100 of the 5/8" tines. They are going to do a slower ramp-out so that the plugs will shed out rather than just hit the top and become a 5/8" solid tine. The tines will be heat treated so that they should be the same as the ones from source1. The tines are currently in production, but I probably will not get them until after this aeration season is over.

I will try them out myself before selling them to others, but let me know if any of you are interested.

Source 1 makes a good machine, and I will probably add another one next year. However, their tines probably work well in Nebraska, but just do not deliver consistent results in the upstate of SC.

grassman177
10-10-2010, 10:02 AM
when done, pm me or post on here so we can look at the tines you made vs the originals. may be interested.

stippy52
10-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Indyturf

Let me know if you can find them .I would be interested.

Thanks

indyturf
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Indyturf

Let me know if you can find them .I would be interested.

Thanks

OK will look at the shop tomorrow.

stippy52
10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Indyturf
Any luck w/ the tines?

onebreezer
10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
can anyone suggest a source for plugr aftermarket tines?

indyturf
02-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Indyturf
Any luck w/ the tines?

I found them, but I only have four.

stippy52
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
How much for all 4?

NafzigerLawn
09-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Great units. Lousy tines

I was unsatisfied with the way the original tines worked as they would not consistently eject plugs. Most soils would reach the top of the tine and not shed out, but pack in the tine defeating the purpose of plug aeration.

A machine shop produced tines for me that are identical to the originals, but with a more gradual ramp out. They hardened them by heat treating them to the highest degree.

I have used them on my PL600 and am pleased with the results. They still get jammed when aerating through tree roots, sandstone, or hard red clay, but do a great job in most soils.

If you would like to buy some, I am selling them for $25 each including shipping. E-mail me at russell@nafscape.com if interested.

Exact Rototilling
09-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Pics would be nice of these vs factory ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
09-23-2011, 09:45 PM
sure would like to see them. curious, we have not seen a need to modify the tines as they eject quite well.

countryclublawnllc
09-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Try these guys, they might have something that will work for you at a cheaper price.

http://jrmonline.com/mall/

John

NafzigerLawn
09-23-2011, 10:44 PM
The original tine is on the left and the tine I had made is on the right. Notice the ramp out on both tines. Also, my tine is hardened by heat treatment and the original tine is plated.

I am sure that the original tines work well in the mid-west soils where they were made. They just did not give me good results in the clay soils of upstate South Carolina.

NafzigerLawn
09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Also see my picture in the thread: "Plugr replacement tines".

Rock Solid
09-25-2011, 10:47 PM
All the tines that come from the factory now, have a more gradual ejection ramp machined into them which should reduce any plugging or ejection problems.

grassman177
09-26-2011, 10:30 PM
good to know, i will look at our new box of replacements to see if they are dif.

ours do eject quite readily, we do have some areas here that are very heavy clay. still spits them out like dirty turds!

Exact Rototilling
09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
All the tines that come from the factory now, have a more gradual ejection ramp machined into them which should reduce any plugging or ejection problems.

Interesting....I think I will pull some older tines and compare with the newest ones. Will post pics when I get a chance.