PDA

View Full Version : best granular pre-emergence landscape beds

jbo90423
01-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Looking for some feedback on pre-emergence used in landscape beds. I am preferring granular, but really just wanting some info on this.... thanks....

grassman177
01-30-2010, 03:45 AM
used snapshot for years and it was great, but after so long with any chemical you will lose control. so this year i am switching to a new product called freehand. it is supposed to contol nutsedge so i am hopeful .

shade tree landscaping
01-30-2010, 10:02 AM
i second snapshot

OSU 09
01-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Snapshot has worked well for us too

Drew Gemma
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
trefflan half the price of snapshot not as good but does work

We also use liquid surflan or the generic which I can't spell

wurkn with amish
01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
trefflan is junk Drew. Pay the extra for the premium coverage. I am interested in the "freehand" product tho if it controls nutsedge better. Would JD Landscapes carry it?

Marcos
01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I am interested in the "freehand" product tho if it controls nutsedge better. Would JD Landscapes carry it?

If you want to get a handle on nutsedge I'd recommend Casoron 4G:

http://www.ohp.com/PIB/PDF/casoron_275_pib.pdf

It's also fantastic in its control of Canada thistle! :clapping:
But be very selective in where you place it in the landscape because it's toxic to monocots like turfgrass.
Don't place it to close to the bed's edges, or in beds that have sharp slopes where H2O runs unchecked into lawn areas.
You may want to experiment w/ it the 1st spring & use it in somewhat isolated areas like parking lot islands, etc.
If JD/Lesco still sell the gravity shaker bottle/ spreader 'Spread Rite G', thats a perfect tool to target Casoron with.
In fact back in the mid '90s when Lesco was still Lesco they were commonly called 'Casoron spreaders'.

horttenn
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
We use dimension ew over the top with good results. With backpack @ 1.5 ounces per msf. Snapshot has to be watered in within 48 hrs.

exmark232
01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
i use corn gluton, it's more earth friendly if you will and work very well you get about 3 months out of the product, but it is hard to find

tlc28
01-31-2010, 05:52 PM
we used trefflan last year but think i will go with snapshot.

horttenn
01-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey exmark232, How long have you been using corn gluton ? Buying in bag or bulk?

tlc28
01-31-2010, 05:55 PM
What is corn gluton? Is this something new?

Marcos
02-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Corn gluten meal (CGM) is a by-product of the corn milling process and has for years been used as a supplement in hog feed.
Iowa State researcher Nick Christians discovered its pre-emergent effects some years ago quite by accident.
Not only does it suppress weeds but its slow decomposition works to provide nitrogen & some phosphorus to the soil as well- CGM's analysis as a plant food is 9-1-0.

In turf, as a pre-emergent,we use it at a rate of approx 20-25# / 1000 sq ft.
But we don't apply it in a broadcast fashion...instead only in & around "high pressure" areas like sidewalk & driveway edges where weeds like crabgrass, spurge & purslane are quick to show up.
These are the same areas that regularly get brutalized by edgers & dry out 1st, allowing the soil to crack thus exposing bucco weed seeds to germinate.
The rest of the turf-
Job #1 is to keep turf density thick enough so that weeds don't have a chance to rear their ugly heads to begin with.

Landscape-
Historically we've not relied on CGM as pre-emergent in beds, not because it doesn't work in the landscape, but because as policy we rely almost 100% on compost & pine needle mulch to keep weeds under control.
Because CGM is somewhat pH-neutral we'll use it as fertilizer in beds quite a bit & target it in areas where we're NOT trying to reduce pH for specific alkaline tolerant plants.
For soil areas that we're trying to reduce pH we like to use WELL COMPOSTED cotton seed meal & coffee grounds.

You can typically find 50# sacks of CGM by calling a rural grain elevator, farm co-op or a genuine, old fashioned feed store that sells stuff other than dog & cat food.
But bear in mind those of you who live in or around the Corn Belt region will pay a LOT less per lb than those who live outside because of freight costs.

tlc28
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info something that i will look into.

Going Commercial
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
According to John Deere Landscapes ( LESCO ) , snapshot is illegal to use in New York State

Landscraper1
02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Corn Gluten is environmentally friendly but , does not work well at all.:nono:

Marcos
02-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Corn Gluten is environmentally friendly but , does not work well at all.:nono:

If this is your experience, then maybe you're leaning too hard on it or other pre-emergents, and not on your obligation as a professional LC contractor to develop TURF DENSITY that over time will effectively crowd out most potentially invasive weeds on its own.

As far as beds are concerned, corn gluten works fine at 20# / 1000, so long as adequate mulch is used.
Too many times, people put it down too late & expect it to 'prevent' weeds that have already germinated.
Well guess what. This problem happens all the time with pendimethalin & prodiamine, too!

SouthValleyLandscapeMaint
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Have any of you ever used PREEN? It is 1/2 the price of Caseron here on the west coast but I have no idea how well it works compared to caseron. Any opinions?