PDA

View Full Version : good morning

head_start
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Well good morning all. I just joined the forum and love the way it is set up. I just started mowing for money a year ago, but i have done some mowing for family and friends sense i was 16. I am 18 now, and would love to start making some money, hopefully in this industry. I will listen to all advice, so poor it on. THank you and have a great day.
Jake

J & D Greens
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the site, where are you from?

head_start
01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
That are between Illinois and Indiana, just about right on the boarder of the two states.

J & D Greens
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Have you lined up any work yet, February would be a good time to get aggressive with flyer's around the neighborhoods you want to target, (if they allow them that is). What ever you do don't under bid your work, it is always better to not get a job 'cause you bid a little to high than to work for nothing. You will hear this advice all over this site and you will do yourself a favor to take heed. You will also need to get your Insurance ASAP. and what ever else your county requires to do biz. there. Good luck David

head_start
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
thank you and it is duely noted. is the insurance expensive? i am small scale and have few customres so any insurance advice would be great.

g21
01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Welcome Jake. I suggest you try contacting Drew to see if he can help you with insurance. Even if he can't provide it for you, he can give you some good advice on how to get started.
Drew Roberts

www.BearWiseLandscapers.com is an informative insurance website for landscaping businesses. You can also request comparative insurance quotes online.

Do'tn hesitate to ask for help. ALMA is free to join and I'm sure we can help you.

Tommy

head_start
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
thank you much sir, i will learn all i can from all of you. I just wannt ot know if i will lose money trying to start this because i don't have a huge high paying customer base, basicaly the old ladies in the local towns that can't mow for themselves.

jjarvis4
02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Glad You are looking to push ahead. I am 18 myself and have been doing this for three full years. Started small, took pride in my work and things have worked out nicely. Like It has been said numerous times:
1. calculate what your time is worth
2. try to get a feel for the general market prices in your area (this is not always easy to do)
3. don't underbid yourself!!! (I have made this mistake early on)
4. practice will make you better (yet not perfect)

Keep good records! This will help you at the end of the year determine where you can increase net profit or cut cost's.

Talk to an insurance agent about insurance. I have general liability insurance of 1 million which protects me from a major accident and gives me more opportunities with commercial properties. Other insurance policies include commercial auto insurance and inland marine insurance (for your equipment). Be sure to way out your cost. I found that inland marine insurance just wasn't worth the extra cost for me. But every situation is different.

So thats my two cents worth!!

head_start
02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
ok so i don't make enough money yet to get the insurance or even justify it, but i need it to grow. thank you for all the advice so far;

jjarvis4
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Actually, general liability would be something to consider. It is not all that expensive (a couple days of work $400-$700 annually) and if you ever need it you will be thankful that you have it.

Stevegotcrabgrass
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I believe in most states you need insurance to operate a business.