PDA

View Full Version : business cards - what company?

JFGauvreau
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Well I tried using Vista Print for my business cards but I could never get a very high def picture of my logo, I tried a .psd, .png, .jpeg, .tiff and .eps but they logo on the business card was never good quality, it was "acceptable quality"

So do you have any other places to get business cards that you can upload your own logo?

randyhutch
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I've used 123print and have been happy.

Grass Shark
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
www.monstergraphicdesign.com

SilverTouch
01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
i used a local company to design my business card and had it printed at gotprint.com . I ordered around 20k of them a few years back and still have plenty. good quality card and glossy. They last! My only complaint i would have is that the gloss finish is hard to write on, but i don't hardly ever need to write on them.

JFGauvreau
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
alright thx will look forward into those companies.

bigredman23
01-31-2010, 12:26 AM
vistaprint.commmm

bohiaa
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Just go to a local shop, anyone and everyone is doing Business cards.
REmember a Business card is NOT advertisement, it's simply a way to give someone your name and number, and what you do.
try to keep your BUSINESS local to you. you always want to keep money/business local.

JFGauvreau
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Ya I might as well do that, all of those sites are for US only anyways.

360ci
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
You guys might think of this as cheesy, but that's too bad.

I design my own cards in Corel Draw 12, and print them out on white blank sheets (10 per sheet). They are perforated but it's not noticeable unless you put it a few inches from your eye. It costs me pennies a sheet and I can get 750 cards (75 sheets) at Staples for around $16 with tax. I'm still using the pack I bought two seasons ago. I print out about 250 at the start of the season. Takes me about an hour to print and remove them from the sheet but they hold colour very well. Works out to about 2.5 cents a card including ink used, and they're not glossy so you can write on the back.

I print out business cards, invoices, envelopes (and return envelopes), quotation sheets, and a few other items all on site, as I need them. Running my office, along with stationary products only runs me a couple hundred dollars a year.

bohiaa
01-31-2010, 01:39 PM

I design my own cards in Corel Draw 12, and print them out on white blank sheets (10 per sheet). They are perforated but it's not noticeable unless you put it a few inches from your eye. It costs me pennies a sheet and I can get 750 cards (75 sheets) at Staples for around $16 with tax. I'm still using the pack I bought two seasons ago. I print out about 250 at the start of the season. Takes me about an hour to print and remove them from the sheet but they hold colour very well. Works out to about 2.5 cents a card including ink used, and they're not glossy so you can write on the back.

I print out business cards, invoices, envelopes (and return envelopes), quotation sheets, and a few other items all on site, as I need them. Running my office, along with stationary products only runs me a couple hundred dollars a year.

naaaa. not cheezy,

after you grow you will find that you simply dont have time for things like this.
after all the ammount. "pennys" that I spend on Business cards requires nothing in thought. about 10 minutes of my time per 5 years, and YES I use it as a business expence.

it's all up to what a person wants

360ci
01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
naaaa. not cheezy,

after you grow you will find that you simply dont have time for things like this.
after all the ammount. "pennys" that I spend on Business cards requires nothing in thought. about 10 minutes of my time per 5 years, and YES I use it as a business expence.

it's all up to what a person wants

I'll always have time for things like this. I plan to grow more, but for now I'm plenty comfortable, and in the summer months I am fairly busy. During the winter, I have lots of time. Besides, my daughter likes helping me tear out the cards!

For printed 'professional' business cards in Canada, 500 black and white go for around $60. I can print mine for $20 in my own place as I need them, so if I move, or have to change any contact info I'm not stuck with cards I can't use. For two colour printed cards on gloss paper it'd be close to $80 for 500 cards. I can print all of my 750 for $25, plus my time and effort, which isn't all that much. When I need more, I don't have to wait for them to be printed and then have to find the time to go and pick them up. Sure, I'd be nice to get good cards, but right now it's just not feasible.

Landscape Poet
01-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Try http://gotprint.net/g/welcome.do - 5000 business cards for $38 !!! Just got cards from them recently and they look great. Just ordered a couple thousand door hangers today and am hoping they look as good.

Let me know if you can find them cheaper than that, but I have not been able too.

Landscape Poet
01-31-2010, 03:49 PM
i used a local company to design my business card and had it printed at gotprint.com . I ordered around 20k of them a few years back and still have plenty. good quality card and glossy. They last! My only complaint i would have is that the gloss finish is hard to write on, but i don't hardly ever need to write on them.

Do not pay the extra for the coating on the back, they are actually cheaper than way and you can then write on the back if needed.

Landscape Poet
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I've used 123print and have been happy.

I have used them for door hangers before but never cards, I can say that I was impressed with the quality of the door hangers however gotprint.net has them cheaper too.

360ci
01-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Try http://gotprint.net/g/welcome.do - 5000 business cards for $38 !!! Just got cards from them recently and they look great. Just ordered a couple thousand door hangers today and am hoping they look as good.

Let me know if you can find them cheaper than that, but I have not been able too.

As always, us Canadians get screwed. 5000 cards are $37.55, PLUS standard shipping of $39.61. Rush shipping alone is $68.48. I can buy local cards for less money. Not to mention that Customs will more than likely add additional sales tax. So it's a lose lose lose situation for us northerners.

There have been a couple of times that I ran into some good deals, where I'd save a few bucks here and there even with shipping and customs, but it's the 2-6 week delivery time that doesn't work for me.

Grass Shark
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
My first order of business cards were $.03 a piece including full graphic design, U.V coated double sided cards in full color. Any order I make in the future will cost me just
.013 cents each if I use the same design. Check it out:
http://www.monstergraphicdesign.bigcartel.com/contact
Fill in the form for the info. They are good people and they make sure that you are 100% satisfied. And no I am not affilated with them nor do I make any money from sending you there, it is just a good deal and I want to see them stay in business.

360ci
01-31-2010, 06:24 PM
3 cents isn't bad at all. It costs me 2.5cents to make my own. Locally, in Canada, most want 7.5-15 cents per business card, which is ridiculous. Even if I bought stateside as I had mentioned in a previous post, it'd cost me the same, I'd just have to wait over a month to get them. I can't win.

sweetland
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
123print.com is great quality and great price

Landscape Poet
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
My first order of business cards were $.03 a piece including full graphic design, U.V coated double sided cards in full color. Any order I make in the future will cost me just
.013 cents each if I use the same design. Check it out:
http://www.monstergraphicdesign.bigcartel.com/contact
Fill in the form for the info. They are good people and they make sure that you are 100% satisfied. And no I am not affilated with them nor do I make any money from sending you there, it is just a good deal and I want to see them stay in business.

Not doubting your thought/opinion that these guys are a nice operation, but when I followed your link, I clicked on the business card link, got a offer for 5000 cards for $69.00. How does that work to be a better value than 5000 for $38?

SangerLawn
01-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Just go to a local shop, anyone and everyone is doing Business cards.
REmember a Business card is NOT advertisement, it's simply a way to give someone your name and number, and what you do.
try to keep your BUSINESS local to you. you always want to keep money/business local.

very well said...once again :)

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
02-01-2010, 12:42 AM
go localy gauvreau,i think mine was 1,000 for 160$

they did a good job..

Roger
02-01-2010, 07:35 AM
These kinds of threads have populated these pages many times in the past. This one echoes the responses found in other similar threads.

I've posted in others, and will do so here again, the same things. Two points:

1. With all the cash spent for equipment, trucks, operating expenses, why is there such an interest in saving a few dollars on business cards? Often threads discuss using pillow oil packets for 2 cycle oil, rather than using bulk and mixing your own. The costs for the oil component is so much higher, perhaps twice. But, these expenses are never questioned. This but one expense that overwhelms the cost of a business card. One can pick many other similar examples.

Point: concern about saving money in one place, but very quick to choose an expensive path in so many other areas in business operations. $50 for a pack of 500 cards that might last for a few years, ... really very inexpensive way to get new business. Perhaps the most return on investment.

2. Contradictions about difficulty in operating a small business in your local area, with comments about how others come to take away existing and new business, and comments about how cheap some customers can be, ... yet eager to find another business outside your local area to do your own work. If you, as a small business owner, are interested in keeping customers in your own area, why aren't you interested in supporting another local business? The local business might be an independent shop, or might be a franchise. Nevertheless, somebody owns the shop, has their own profit and loss statements, and is trying to make a profitable business. Why would you not support them, trying to do the same thing as yourself? In some cases, there may be an only supplier elsewhere, but in the case of printing needs for business cards, any reputable shop can do the work.

Point: Keep your business local if you can.

Landscape Poet
02-01-2010, 08:27 AM
These kinds of threads have populated these pages many times in the past. This one echoes the responses found in other similar threads.

I've posted in others, and will do so here again, the same things. Two points:

1. With all the cash spent for equipment, trucks, operating expenses, why is there such an interest in saving a few dollars on business cards? Often threads discuss using pillow oil packets for 2 cycle oil, rather than using bulk and mixing your own. The costs for the oil component is so much higher, perhaps twice. But, these expenses are never questioned. This but one expense that overwhelms the cost of a business card. One can pick many other similar examples.

Point: concern about saving money in one place, but very quick to choose an expensive path in so many other areas in business operations. $50 for a pack of 500 cards that might last for a few years, ... really very inexpensive way to get new business. Perhaps the most return on investment.

2. Contradictions about difficulty in operating a small business in your local area, with comments about how others come to take away existing and new business, and comments about how cheap some customers can be, ... yet eager to find another business outside your local area to do your own work. If you, as a small business owner, are interested in keeping customers in your own area, why aren't you interested in supporting another local business? The local business might be an independent shop, or might be a franchise. Nevertheless, somebody owns the shop, has their own profit and loss statements, and is trying to make a profitable business. Why would you not support them, trying to do the same thing as yourself? In some cases, there may be an only supplier elsewhere, but in the case of printing needs for business cards, any reputable shop can do the work.

Point: Keep your business local if you can.

Roger,

I do not disagree with you about trying to keep business local, however, there are time when you just have to make a decision that is best for your business. For example - when I priced business cards and flyers recently - I went to several local shops. Each shop was considerably higher than what I could get off the internet. Now with that, I went to these local businesses and informed them that I wanted to do local business with them and even stated that I would like to "keep the money locale", however most of them were not willing to budge on price, none even came close.
I can not help those that will not help themselves. I have a responsibility to my family, my customers and by business to keep my cost in line, so that they can offer services that they can afford. Thus keeping my business surviving in the local economy.
Mine and yours first responsibility to our local community is to stay in business for the community. If my business fails, there is less employment, less tax dollars and of course less wealth in the community.
So with many on these forums it appears that they have little to no experience running a business, your point of staying local really is valuable in so many ways, so is being price conscience as it appears they will face many battles elsewhere do to lack of experience.

JFGauvreau
02-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Ok first off all 123print is for US only.

And about keeping it local I can understand that, you made a good point Roger.

There is only 1 or maybe a 2nd company in my area that does media work/ signs so I'll see if they do any business cards.

Grass Shark
02-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Not doubting your thought/opinion that these guys are a nice operation, but when I followed your link, I clicked on the business card link, got a offer for 5000 cards for $69.00. How does that work to be a better value than 5000 for $38?

The price difference is because my guys cards are double sided UV coated full color, the $38 one is single side print and UV.

bohiaa
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
HOLY MOLY...... never in my wildest dreams did I think this post would go 3 to 4 pages.

hay guys, are we beating a dead horse here ?

Grass Shark
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
HOLY MOLY...... never in my wildest dreams did I think this post would go 3 to 4 pages.

Sorry for using up the limited space on lawnsite.:cry: lol

jon green planet
02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
you might wanna find this site called moo.. i believe it lets you upload your stuff like i made mine on a software called AAA... http://us.moo.com/en/

you can get 10 free sample cards!!

360ci
02-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Nope, it's still alive!

Here are my cards: Cheap, and I can make'm as I need'm. I change the image every ten sheets or so just to keep it different. Nothing fancy:

http://www.biodsl.com/images/bizcards.jpg

Golfpro21
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM

I commend you for putting the effort and time in.....but after many times printing our own stuff....we have had a few batches of business cards done from vista print and staples....although they are not the cadilac of cards, you can definately see the difference between those and doing them yourself..yes cheaper but you get what you pay for

360ci
02-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I commend you for putting the effort and time in.....but after many times printing our own stuff....we have had a few batches of business cards done from vista print and staples....although they are not the cadilac of cards, you can definately see the difference between those and doing them yourself..yes cheaper but you get what you pay for

From a couple feet away, it's not noticeable. I get more value doing it myself, mainly because I only need a couple hundred a year. What good would ordering 500-5000 cards do me, if I change some contact info every 1-2 years... then I'd be throwing them out. I caught one guy who came by to give me a roofing quote. He was more than a couple other places so I didn't go with him, however, they moved into a different unit in the same building, so the unit number was WHITED OUT (yes, it was WHITE OUT!) and they used some sort of thick felt pen to write the new one on. It looked 10x worse than my own homemade cards.

The only thing I don't like about the homemade cards is that if you get them wet, the ink can run. I keep spares in my truck of course, but a sweaty wallet is a no-no with homemade cards, lol.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
We ordered our biz cards and postcards from bluevistaprinting.com and got 250 cards for $25 full color front and back with the UV coating on 14pt card stock way way nice cards. I went threw the location in Milwaukee

360ci
02-07-2010, 07:11 AM
We ordered our biz cards and postcards from bluevistaprinting.com and got 250 cards for $25 full color front and back with the UV coating on 14pt card stock way way nice cards. I went threw the location in Milwaukee

I should get a large PO Box in the US just so I can save a **** load on shipping costs for things.

Ontario sales tax alone is going up July 1st. Lucky us.

SangerLawn
02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Wish it was only sales tax here….ALL of our taxes are going up and we are getting less for our money :) long live wonderful Oboma :canadaflag:

360ci
02-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I bet your sales tax isn't 13% like it is here. Water went up 3.8%, gas went up 2.4%, property tax went up 2%, electricity is the same as last year at least - for now, sales tax here is 13% at the moment, but that'll probably get bumped up to 15% again so we, the people, can help pay back the government loans from this dire economy. Vehicle insurance goes up $40/yr. I think when it's all said and done, I'm lucky to see half of what I actually make. Spending $10/yr on business cards is a good deal if I can do them myself, lol.

alf500series
02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
you might also look into the ups store if you live near one. you can email your logo to them and then they can do all the dirty work for you.

360ci
02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
you might also look into the ups store if you live near one. you can email your logo to them and then they can do all the dirty work for you.

That's no fun. I like doing the dirty work, it's why I'm in this business!

froglawn
02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
just go local dude...call all the place in the phonebook (or 5-7 of them) and get quotes!