PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help........

head_start
01-30-2010, 12:27 PM
ok so i mow small scale, and am still in high school. I want to mow more because i hate baling hay and really want to make money another way. I just have one problem. I only cut about three lawns. How do i get more? Im not talking huge numbers, and i live near many small towns it the center of Illinois. can anyone help me out? i just like lawncare and want to make some money, all advice will help and i mean all advice.

echeandia
01-30-2010, 10:18 PM
You need to advertise and network. It is the only way.

joel29m
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
You need to advertise and network. It is the only way.

i couldnt say it better..

whosedog
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
ok so i mow small scale, and am still in high school. I want to mow more because i hate baling hay and really want to make money another way. I just have one problem. I only cut about three lawns. How do i get more? Im not talking huge numbers, and i live near many small towns it the center of Illinois. can anyone help me out? i just like lawncare and want to make some money, all advice will help and i mean all advice.

What's so bad about baling hay? Just asking, never did it just curious,I'm a city boy.

Flatop
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
If you want more business, you can try advertising on your local craigslist or make some sign and post them near high traffic areas where you wish to mow lawns. Best thing is word of mouth. Talk to your clients and ask them if they may know of anyone else they may need their lawns cut. If you can, I suggest getting a cell phone dedicated for your lawn care.

head_start
01-31-2010, 08:22 PM
well im really skinny like 130 and 6.0ft tall so i have a hard time throwing 70 bales around, its super dusty, and really quite annoying to pick it out of ur ears and clothes for the next four days. I would bathe twice and still find hay in my hair. Basicly i would rather mow than bale.
What do you mean by networking?

echeandia
01-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Networking is meeting with other business people, becoming knowledgeable about their business, and then recommending them to others that you meet. Presumably, they would do the same for you. A good place to start is your local Chamber of Commerce. They probably hold several events a month.

clean_cut
01-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, try putting out flyers where you already mow so you don't have to travel far between lawns, and also ask you customers if they know of anyone who may be interested in lawn care. Just do a good job and be professional, and you will get accounts. Look around on the forums, and use the search feature, you'll find tons of info.

Welcome to the forums, I'm also in high school and doing just a few lawns, so I know how you feel

God Bless you and your business :)

Lazer Cut
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
What I did was... tool 1,000 flyers to a local pizza shop and asked them if they'd promote my business some how... the guy took a likeing to me trying to help me out he took 500 flyers put them on every pizza box, hoagie, or what ever had a box... he taped my flyer to it... didn't get nmany phone calls but hey it got my name out there.. try that... not a dominos or pizza hut but a local mom n pop shop
Posted via Mobile Device

SangerLawn
01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
What's so bad about baling hay? Just asking, never did it just curious,I'm a city boy.

Man buddy…its flippen awesome…nothing like having dust particales all over you all day long working 12 hours a day. If you think mowing grass messes with your allergies you should play with hay. It is really a blast when the bails have hornet nets wrapped up in them. Then of course you always get at least 1 or 2 snakes rapped up in the bails too. Once bailed you are manually throwing each bail on the truck or trailer. Once at the barn you have to throw each bail to the second story (well ours went to the second story)…once your done, no matter how good your gloves are, you have rope burn all over your hands.

In all honestly it really isn’t bad if your only doing it every once in a awhile but full time sucks…badly lol…and no money unless you own the farm

head_start
02-01-2010, 11:48 AM
ok so if i print off fliers, what do i put on them, cause i don't have insurance or am even registered as a business. if i get caught am i skrewed?

Lazer Cut
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Get insurance... its 500 avg for 1-2 mill coverage... I worried so much last year without it... got a 2 mill policy for 500 bucks and can rest at ease...

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T ADVERTISE FERT IF YOUR STATE MAKES YOU HAVE A LICENSE TO FERT.
Posted via Mobile Device

joel29m
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
If you want more business, you can try advertising on your local craigslist or make some sign and post them near high traffic areas where you wish to mow lawns. Best thing is word of mouth. Talk to your clients and ask them if they may know of anyone else they may need their lawns cut. If you can, I suggest getting a cell phone dedicated for your lawn care.

and yeah craigslist is a website that helps also, i started my bus. last year and half of my clients called me from my ad on craigslist, it really helps.

head_start
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
ok keep the advice coming.......all advice any advice.

LouisianaLawnboy
02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Man buddy…its flippen awesome…nothing like having dust particales all over you all day long working 12 hours a day. If you think mowing grass messes with your allergies you should play with hay. It is really a blast when the bails have hornet nets wrapped up in them. Then of course you always get at least 1 or 2 snakes rapped up in the bails too. Once bailed you are manually throwing each bail on the truck or trailer. Once at the barn you have to throw each bail to the second story (well ours went to the second story)…once your done, no matter how good your gloves are, you have rope burn all over your hands.

In all honestly it really isn’t bad if your only doing it every once in a awhile but full time sucks…badly lol…and no money unless you own the farm

It's good to hear we have some country boys in here.

tinman
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Write down 10 - 20 places you can advertise for free and do that. Write down every person you know and give a call to let them know you want more lawn customers so they will send anyone to you that comes up. Find a cheap place to advertise , say your local classifieds and try that for a month & track results.
Fliers are cheap & will get you results. You just have to put out a great many since 1-2% response is what you can expect. Good luck to you.

ed2hess
02-02-2010, 07:45 PM
well im really skinny like 130 and 6.0ft tall so i have a hard time throwing 70 bales around, its super dusty, and really quite annoying to pick it out of ur ears and clothes for the next four days. I would bathe twice and still find hay in my hair. Basicly i would rather mow than bale.
What do you mean by networking?
I came off the farm and did allthat stuff and that makes mowing grass like sissy work. Just make up some handouts and let people know you are a student looking for work. A personal touch will be best at this point.

jiggz
02-02-2010, 09:07 PM

ummmm, baling hay lol

RJ25
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
when I started out I put my name in the yellow pages under A & S lawn service so I was at the beginning of the list. I also joined the apartment association in my town and that worked great. It just kinda took off from their (word of mouth) Also if you have a few good clients and they dont mind put them down as a referance. New customers love that kind of reassurance.

head_start
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
this is great stuff, thank you, and i will try all of it if i can.