PDA

View Full Version : How to price out job

cutting it close
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
How do you guys price out jobs ranging from:
Weekly maintance (cut, weed wack, and blow)
Spring clean up
Fall clean up
etc.
All help/advice is welcome thanks eric
PS I live in New York Long Island

echeandia
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
First you have to know what your fixed costs are. Next I calculate my variable costs and a little fudge factor for unforeseen items. Finally I calculate profit. I add all of these up and that I my price.

climber338
01-31-2010, 03:44 AM
the guy above got it. Its kinda tricky to figure out your fixed cost. I don't have that many lawns but for tree jobs i figure how much it costs per hour. After that i then add on what i want to make in my pocket. After that i add on a % of what the company makes for those oh crap i need a new tranny moments. The company pays you but you own the company. With insurance, equipment, gas and im most likely missing a few things it does add up pretty quick. For lawns ive heard that alot of guys charge a dollar a minute which i think is pretty reasonable if you have all of the bigger mowers and a crew. If all you have is a 21 inch mower (like me) then your not going to charge that.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
01-31-2010, 04:22 AM
call up a lawn cutting company to estimate on your property and will give you an idea

SangerLawn
01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Figure in how much everything cost for you to run a business for a day. Add the amount of money you want to profit per day. Divide that number by the amount of hours you will spend actually at a customer’s property.

Here is an example….this is just an example so do not use these numbers.

Fuel, trimmer string, ware and tear on equipment plus all the things to be legal cost $150 per day

You want to profit $150.00 per day

You know on a 10 hour day you will only be working 6 hours making money. The rest of time is working on equipment, paper work, or traveling from job to job.

For a 10 hour day, with 6 hours of work that you can charge for, you will need $50.00 per hour to operate while you’re on a job working.

Contact an insurance company, state police (DOT office) in your area, and an accountant for the other legal stuff…..this is your life, don’t risk it to the best answer on here…get legal advice

Hope this helps

SangerLawn
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
call up a lawn cutting company to estimate on your property and will give you an idea

That will tell you what other companies charge but by doing this…at the end of the day….you still wont understand the “WHY”

Read my above post for explanation so you don’t have to rely on other companies