PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about this

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Well I have a customer that owes me $100 for 2 months of bi weekly mowing. They still owe me from October and September I keep sending them notices as well as going to there house and talking to them, but they could care less. I have charged them $10 in lat paying fees it is one of my company policy's to charge $5 if you are one month late on paying a bill so I simply doubled it since it was for two bills, they still could care less. I go and offer them a trade (they have an echo pb 403 one of the people who lives was a former LCO and since has moved to Florida and left the blower) they claim they can get it running but it has been sitting in there yard for months. I have also offered a payment plan but they are not interested, so I am at the point where I am considering sending a letter stating that if I am not paid by March 1 2010 that I will be taking them to small claims court, but I think that it is a little extreme over $100. Is there any other alternative of convincing them they need to pay me.

FourTrees
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Why send it to small claims that cost time and money (which will only be paid if you win and they choose to pay court demands.)

Give it to a collection agency. Let them hassle the customer.

Prime example of why residential agreements are good. Regarding payment mine says stuff like:

1. Pay on time.

2. Late fees

3. They pay all collection fees.

4. Name of my collection company.

Sure you may go years without having a non payer. But once you get one you realize that you should cover your butt.

JCPM
01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Usually just the threat of a collection agency will do the trick. Especially in this financial market when everything is determined with credit. I had a large retirement home that owed me 5k and told me that they weren't going to pay. As soon as I told them I would just send it to a collection agency, they sent me a check.

AdamChrap
01-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Don't take the trade, stick to your guns.

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Usually just the threat of a collection agency will do the trick. Especially in this financial market when everything is determined with credit. I had a large retirement home that owed me 5k and told me that they weren't going to pay. As soon as I told them I would just send it to a collection agency, they sent me a check.

Allright I will make a letter informing them if they do not pay by March 1 2010 it will be sent to a collections agency, hopefuly they will pay before that

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't take the trade, stick to your guns.

They told me that there blower just needs "a petty little spark plug" and that it is worth a lot more then 100 dollars even though no body living there currently can or would use it (they are my neighbors) so I will wait until they realize it is not worth that much and throw it away( no body at that house will ever do any thing about it) so they will throw it away like they do with everything else(I have seen they throw away so much junk that they had overpriced at a yard sale so I would be willing to bet it will eventauly be in the trash anyways

echeandia
01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Don't let them get away with it and don't accept the blower. A threat of a collection agent or small claims usually gets most people to pay. You must follow through with the threat.

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Don't let them get away with it and don't accept the blower. A threat of a collection agent or small claims usually gets most people to pay. You must follow through with the threat.

ok I will send a letter informing them I will have a collections agency if I do not get paid by March 1 2010

2brothersyardcare
01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
say February 1 not march what u smoking

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
say February 1 not march what u smoking

I an just being nice but March 1 is a little early so maybe I will go with February 15

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh and I frogot to mention I droped them in october because they wanted to go monthly but wanted the price to stay the same and I do not even mow monthly

2brothersyardcare
01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
i would go over and be like im not fin leaving till i get my money call the cops i don't give a f im not leaving. NOT in those words. i did this today and got my money

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 11:36 PM
i would go over and be like im not fin leaving till i get my money call the cops i don't give a f im not leaving. NOT in those words. i did this today and got my money

I think the letter will work but if it does not I will give that a try

2brothersyardcare
01-30-2010, 11:50 PM
or go up to the door with a shot gun and shoot some1

mowerdude777
01-30-2010, 11:51 PM
or go up to the door with a shot gun and shoot some1

ummmmm that is a LITTLE extream for 100 dollars

AAA IRRIGATION
01-31-2010, 12:12 AM
Unless i'm behind on times collections wont work if you dont have there SSN, sure the agency might call and harrass them a few times but it wont go against there credit. If you have a contract with them make it work for you, send them a certified letter saying they have 15 days from the day they signed for the letter to pay in full or your taken them to court at there expense.

FourTrees
01-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Unless i'm behind on times collections wont work if you dont have there SSN, sure the agency might call and harrass them a few times but it wont go against there credit. If you have a contract with them make it work for you, send them a certified letter saying they have 15 days from the day they signed for the letter to pay in full or your taken them to court at there expense.

AS PART of collections agency services they will take the client to court for you and handle all that crap. Collection agency can get all info they need and apply it against there credit record as a unpaid debt. I have seen on this site some aversion to going the collections agency way. I don't really understand this. My experience the few times I have had to use the agency has been very successful with little effort on my part. Just email the current overdue bill or my bank sends them the NSF check if that is the problem. I am clear that all fees are added by collections agency so I get my full amount.

Guess I don't see the hassle. Nothing to file or show up in court. Makes even the small amounts worth the little effort to send to collections.

I have one account for last year of $60. If I had to go file a lien or file small claims, then I'd probably drop it as a bad debt and move on. This way I'll send them to collections (takes a couple of minutes), and forget about it till I get a check in the mail from collections agency.

I really recommend everyone taking five minutes and calling a collection agency and see what they offer.

topsites
01-31-2010, 02:43 AM
Whoa...

they are my neighbors

That changes everything, just as well letting this one slide.

FourTrees
01-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Whoa...

LOL, yea.:dizzy:

SangerLawn
01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Allright I will make a letter informing them if they do not pay by March 1 2010 it will be sent to a collections agency, hopefuly they will pay before that

Just go to your court house and file a mechanics lean on there house. It will take you about 30 minutes to find there lot numbers and all that legal stuff….it cost $15.00.

The customer will get a letter delivered by the sheriff’s office then there name will be printed in the paper for not paying there bills. We only had to do this once and we got paid within 2 weeks

mowerdude777
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Whoa...

Well they never once had paid me on time and my family does not really like them nor does anyone living around them

mowerdude777
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Just go to your court house and file a mechanics lean on there house. It will take you about 30 minutes to find there lot numbers and all that legal stuff….it cost $15.00.

The customer will get a letter delivered by the sheriff’s office then there name will be printed in the paper for not paying there bills. We only had to do this once and we got paid within 2 weeks

Even if I get a lean it will not really work they have been living there since the house was built in 1972 (multipal generations of familys have lived there) they have a total or 13 people living there right now (grandparrends their kids as well as the kids kids and not one of them has a job)

NorthTXlawnguy
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
No offense, but if none of them have a job that should have been a sign of not getting paid from the begining.
Either collections or the lien may get you paid or may not. It sounds like they are low lifes that live off the system so you may just have to write it off as bad debt. Good Luck.

Even if I get a lean it will not really work they have been living there since the house was built in 1972 (multipal generations of familys have lived there) they have a total or 13 people living there right now (grandparrends their kids as well as the kids kids and not one of them has a job)

mowerdude777
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
No offense, but if none of them have a job that should have been a sign of not getting paid from the begining.
Either collections or the lien may get you paid or may not. It sounds like they are low lifes that live off the system so you may just have to write it off as bad debt. Good Luck.

Well two of the people are making disablity and the other 3 adults are making unemployment they will not do a payment plan either

Chilehead
01-31-2010, 12:29 PM

Take this advice. Make sure you make three copies of the letter. Indicate in the body of the letter that the client will be receiving two copies. Send one via regular mail and send one via certified mail. The third copy is for you to keep. Too many LCOs treat their business like a hobby. IT'S NOT A HOBBY, IT'S BUSINESS! Your client knew that before you were even hired. Don't get taken.

echeandia
01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
One other thing; make sure you send the letter Return Receipt. This way they have to sign for it and you get a receipt that they signed. This way they cannot say they never knew they owed you the money.

Chilehead
02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
One other thing; make sure you send the letter Return Receipt. This way they have to sign for it and you get a receipt that they signed. This way they cannot say they never knew they owed you the money.

Good idea Ech. Just be prepared if they refuse to accept it.

SangerLawn
02-01-2010, 12:49 AM

Getting a lean or writing it off are really your best actions in my opinion. That property will never be able to be sold if you have a lean on it. It might take 50 years but somewhere down the road you will get your money. If they rent and the land lord finds out there is a lean he will tack the money onto the rent and get you paid….

On the flip side…I just noticed they are your neighbors. It might just be best to write it off and just forget about it?? If you put a lean on there house something bad might happen to yours while your sleeping.