PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cutting pavers and bricks

BzAuto05
01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Which do you guys per fer, a guillotine splitter or wet saw for cutting bricks or pavers? And what are some of the better brands to look for? Thanks in advance. Bill

PatriotLandscape
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
we use stihl ts400's they work great. i wouldnt use a splitter for pavers the cut isn't clean.

BzAuto05
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
we use stihl ts400's they work great. i wouldnt use a splitter for pavers the cut isn't clean.

I have the TS420 and its a very nice saw, but i am a little hesitant on cutting small bricks/pavers with it unless i used something to hold it down.

zedosix
01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I have the TS420 and its a very nice saw, but i am a little hesitant on cutting small bricks/pavers with it unless i used something to hold it down.

Thats what your feet are for pal! Ya anything under say an inch or two is a bit tricky. Table saw is best, but it has its drawbacks too. Guilotine is fine for splitting block but leave the brick cutting to something else.

BzAuto05
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Thats what your feet are for pal! Ya anything under say an inch or two is a bit tricky. Table saw is best, but it has its drawbacks too. Guilotine is fine for splitting block but leave the brick cutting to something else.

As far as the table saw goes, whats brands are good? MK? What are the drawbacks ? And the guillotine is not good for pavers? Thanks.

zedosix
01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
As far as the table saw goes, whats brands are good? MK? What are the drawbacks ? And the guillotine is not good for pavers? Thanks.

MK is a great brand, will be my next purchase after my targets die. I don't really consider them to have many drawbacks, other than heavy to lift (need 2 guys) they make a mess, so you need to protect the area you are working in and prevent splashback of the wet concrete. The cuts are very accurate with the table saw, curved cuts can be made on them but only with experience.

BzAuto05
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
MK is a great brand, will be my next purchase after my targets die. I don't really consider them to have many drawbacks, other than heavy to lift (need 2 guys) they make a mess, so you need to protect the area you are working in and prevent splashback of the wet concrete. The cuts are very accurate with the table saw, curved cuts can be made on them but only with experience.

Ok . Excellent thanks for your help.

sven1277
02-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I use both a 14" table saw and a splitter. I find the splitter is fine for most paver cuts. The edges are jagged, but the pavetech brand gives an undercut and once filled with joint sand, it isn't even noticeable. You do need a saw for tricky cuts, but we do most of the cuts with the splitter first, then finish with the saw. I am picky about the finish product, too.

Crash
02-11-2010, 07:07 PM
We use MK dry saws. Alot of people use those big Stihl's, which is fine, we use one for some things too, but it's kinda awkward and more dangerous I think. We set up a couple stations with the saws on saw horses, and their's two guys cutting and the rest marking and laying. It's very efficient I think. And this way the saw is secure and it doesn't have to be lugged around.

Meezer
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM

I agree. The TS 400's work great!

bishoplandscape
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
We always use a saw, either our table or our ts400's. We'll use a splitter on the large projects just for speed.

Rocha_Construction
02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
We use a skill saw.

Splitters are expensive and sometimes really rough on the cuts. If you are making wavy patios or walkways, there is no way the splitter will make them fit 100% like the saw does.

Just my opinion though.