PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Horticulture Degree?

CJIII
06-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Hey guys I got qestion I been ponder taking up landscape horticulture. but I realley like being a draftman and I would like to get a degree in architectural and civil design technology. I would like wich is better. Note these are two year degrees. and I like both trades.

AGLA
06-02-2002, 07:30 AM
What do you want to do with the degree? Are you planning on staying in landscaping? If so, do you want to specialize in a certain area?
You mentioned a horticulture degree. Are civil and architectural two specializations within that degree or are they other programs?

Stonehenge
06-02-2002, 07:46 AM
They all sound like fun to me!

Lanelle
06-02-2002, 03:23 PM
Part of the decision might depend on whether you enjoy sitting inside at a desk/computer for extended periods of time or do you prefer to be outside, moving around more. Also, is a two-year degree enough to get you to your goal? You might consider a program that will allow you to go on to a B.S. without losing credits.

CJIII
06-02-2002, 09:41 PM
To AGLA Its one degree civil and architectural. I dont know yet I wont to do both.

To Lanelle yep I think the two-year degree is a enough to get my goal.

AGLA
06-03-2002, 05:41 AM
The schooling is certainly going to be a big help in accelerating your understanding as you gain experience in the field. An an associates degree will not get people to line up to hire you, but it will help you know what you are talking about in an interview. In practical application - experience is most important, an educated person has knowledge to process the experience more efficiently.
A two year degree will certainly not hurt you.
Look at the two programs courses and see which will have more practical application for you to use to work for yourself or gain the edge in the job market.

T. Matthews
06-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Hello,

I hold a A.A.S. in Horticulture. My plan was to get that degree to learn my plants and then move onto a landscape arch.but, unfortunaly when I graduated from hort. school the school that I wanted to go to no longer offered that program. The hort school did have some classes on drawing.

CJIII
06-05-2002, 01:39 PM
Do I need a A.A.S Horticulture Degree.

AGLA
06-05-2002, 06:31 PM
T.,

If you are planning on doing design/build landscaping for yourself, you will probably not gain that much from an BLA degree. BLA programs need to cover big scale projects, grading, drainage, parking lots, wetlands issues, zoning, and a whole lot of stuff that you probably will not use if you are doing residential and smaller commercial work.
I split my schooling because I dropped out in the early eighties because I have poor drawing hands. CAD came to being and I went back in the mid nineties. In the three full time years that I finished with, I did NO planting plans or plant classes. I did housing developments, parks, waste water treatment facility, regional planning, economic development plan for a town of 200 people, locating parcels of land for an open space land bank to buy, ...
It was all worth while for getting licensed and for opening a lot of opportunities. But if you are going to do design/build and are not that interested in licensing as an LA, it would be a lot of time to invest. You also need a couple years of internship full time under a licensed LA in most states to even apply to take the licensing exam. That is a lot of time and money.
You will be better equiped to plan landscapes from experience.