PDA

View Full Version : mulch help

aference1
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
How much should I charge to lay 12 cubic yards of mulch? I pay 23 dollars per yard. I will have it deliverd. some people say mark it up 1.5 x. What should I do?

tom's lawn care
02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I usually charge 65.00-70.00 per yard. This covers the mulch costs, and the labor for laying the mulch. NOTE: This price deosn't include edging or any bush trimming.
So a total for mulch: 780.00 - 840.00/ some guys like to charge close to 100.00 per yard, but it just depends what a pain in the a** it is going to be.

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 09:53 AM
How much should I charge to lay 12 cubic yards of mulch? I pay 23 dollars per yard. I will have it deliverd. some people say mark it up 1.5 x. What should I do?

If you charge 1.5 x your cost for installing it and everything, I would say I want to sub you out for myself. When can you move to Charlotte, I'll give you work all year!!! You will make 11.50 a yard is what you will make then, so 11.5 x 12 = 138. Your profit is 138 for installing 14 yards of mulch!! Mulch is one of those things that should make you more than mowing. That is back breaking work. Don't screw yourself like that.You need to make at LEAST 300-400 bucks off this much labor.

White Gardens
02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd charge, give or take, 1000 around here

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM

That's more like it. You're running a business, not a slave camp.

AbbottCon.
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
i charge about 45 a yard the mulch so im making money there and then i try to figure out the time and get 50 a man hour for my guys. minded that we do doing all commercials and in alot of cases blowing it in at a high volume you could never get 100 a yard. (most times 80-100) yards a property

echeandia
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
What do the beds look like? Do you have to do a lot of weeding? Edging? Are you going to trim the bushes? Remove leaves? What are the tipping fees at the landfill? Do you have any steep inclines to navigate? Without answers to these questions it is impossible to answer.

For the mulch alone I take what I paid (including the tax and delivery) and add 50%.

STIHL GUY
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
if your just spreading it you could charge by the hour

hackitdown
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Around here, it is easy to get $75/yd installed, but we pay $28 to $32 for mulch. Edging, cleanout, and weeding is extra.

J&R Landscaping
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
What do the beds look like? Do you have to do a lot of weeding? Edging? Are you going to trim the bushes? Remove leaves? What are the tipping fees at the landfill? Do you have any steep inclines to navigate? Without answers to these questions it is impossible to answer.

For the mulch alone I take what I paid (including the tax and delivery) and add 50%.

I charge extra and seperate for all the work listed above. Hills and distance from the truck plus how open or full the beds are should be a factor as well.

mike174
02-03-2010, 02:50 AM
If you charge 1.5 x your cost for installing it and everything, I would say I want to sub you out for myself. When can you move to Charlotte, I'll give you work all year!!! You will make 11.50 a yard is what you will make then, so 11.5 x 12 = 138. Your profit is 138 for installing 14 yards of mulch!! Mulch is one of those things that should make you more than mowing. That is back breaking work. Don't screw yourself like that.You need to make at LEAST 300-400 bucks off this much labor.

1.5x cost is too low in my opinion. Should be more like 2x - 3x cost depending on your market. Don't give away edging & weeding...those should be extra costs to the customer. My market is $0.50 - $1.00 per foot for edging. You could quote a customer a total price for weeding, edging, mulch & spreading mulch. Sometimes if you break out edging, they may criticize the edging price, but I'm sure they never properly edged in rocky dry soil.:nono:

tlc28
02-03-2010, 07:44 AM

That about what we would charge.

motorscot
02-12-2010, 07:43 AM
We double the cost of the mulch, then add extras:

12 yards @ $23 = $298 with tax
+ delivery fee = $50
+ install fee = $300
+ misc cleanup = ????
Total charge = $650+

We use bags a lot due to the ease of laying it out and no hassle with dumping a load on a drive or lawn, then having to shovel it into a wheelbarrow or from a truck/trailer

Depending on the customer (regular vs one timer) sometimes we will charge 2.5x then add delivery, etc

aference1
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
We double the cost of the mulch, then add extras:

12 yards @ $23 = $298 with tax
+ delivery fee = $50
+ install fee = $300
+ misc cleanup = ????
Total charge = $650+

We use bags a lot due to the ease of laying it out and no hassle with dumping a load on a drive or lawn, then having to shovel it into a wheelbarrow or from a truck/trailer

Depending on the customer (regular vs one timer) sometimes we will charge 2.5x then add delivery, etc

If you double the amount of mulch then would it be 12 yards @ $46= 552

starscream
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I usually charge $750.00 per unit to have it purchased, delivered and spread.

Portland Landscaping (http://www.paradiserestored.com/index.htm)

motorscot
02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
If you double the amount of mulch then would it be 12 yards @ $46= 552

The install amount of $300 reflects the doubled price. I was trying to itemize.

Lawnut101
02-19-2010, 02:06 AM
I would charge around $800 for the total job around here. I don't know if I would get it or not. Depends on who I am bidding against.

Darryl G
02-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Mark up your material and delivery cost at least 15 to 20 percent. You should be able to put down 1 to 1.5 yards of mulch per hour depending on variables. I personally would rather haul my mulch in myself than have it delivered. Often times, you can pull your truck right up to the beds without causing any turf damage and just fling it in. Or rake it right into a wheelbarrow from a truck or trailer without having to lift it. If it's down on pavement, you have to handle it twice. I don't know if your $23 includes delivery, I'll assume it doesn't.

So 23 x 12 = 276 plus say $75 for delivery = $351 x 1.15 = 403.65..that's material & delivery.

Now lets figure 1.3 yards/hour average production rate spreading it so about 9 hours at $45/hr = $405.

Bed prep/minor weeding/edging I'm gonna guess at 3 hours so another $135...so that's $943.65total.

I like mulch jobs. I enjoy doing it, it always looks good so the customer is always happy, and I get some profit from markup and hauling. Just make sure to get an advance for the materials if you don't know and trust this customer. It's one thing to have to eat labor if you don't get paid, but having to eat the material cost really sucks. For my regulars I don't usually bother getting an advance anymore, but for anyone else, I get a check before I'll even schedule the job.

S&S Outdoor Services
02-19-2010, 04:21 AM
I don't think it's good practice to bid 1.5x the cost of materials etc. Set your prices for each task (I.E. $50 yd for mulch) and then add the cost of the mulch on to that. Around here, shredded hardwood goes for $19.00 a yard and cyprus goes for $55.00 yd. Just because cyprus costs almost 3 times as much doesn't mean you will be doing 3 times the labor... Set the prices per yd and add the materials and delivery fees on to that. If you normally charge $50.00 a yard but you have to wheelbarrow it up some monster hill or something, start raising it up to $75.00 yd or more. - Sam

IN2MOWN
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
$960.00 for me.

LB1234
02-19-2010, 05:03 PM
what does it cost your business per man hour to operate? Start there.

We charge anywhere from as low as 65 per yard installed to upwards of 90 per yard installed. Obviously a 3-4 yard job is going to cost a lot more per cubic yard that say a 40 cubic yard job.

When I send out an estimate I assume one man hour to spread one cubic yard of mulch. So a 12 cubic yard job I would estimate at 12 hours to complete the job and then factor it materials cost and delivery. Somewhere between 800-1000 I would come in at...lots of factors...ease of install, access, type of mulch, etc.

mike174
02-23-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't think it's good practice to bid 1.5x the cost of materials etc. Set your prices for each task (I.E. $50 yd for mulch) and then add the cost of the mulch on to that. Around here, shredded hardwood goes for $19.00 a yard and cyprus goes for $55.00 yd. Just because cyprus costs almost 3 times as much doesn't mean you will be doing 3 times the labor... Set the prices per yd and add the materials and delivery fees on to that. If you normally charge $50.00 a yard but you have to wheelbarrow it up some monster hill or something, start raising it up to $75.00 yd or more. - Sam

This is much better advice than my post, it breaks out each part of the job.

1) labor fee = $50/yd (you're making $50/ hr for labor assuming you spread a yd/hr) PLUS
2) material costs (good point about price differences in materials, not labor) PLUS
3) delivery fees

Nice post S&S :weightlifter:

S&S Outdoor Services
02-23-2010, 02:12 AM
It's amazing what you learn in such a short time when running a business. The only way to learn is trial and error. I've had those days where I've made 25 bucks after 10 hours of work and I've had days where I make $500. Once you screw up a couple times, you'll start to learn how long things take and what's the lowest amount you can charge while still making a living off it. Bid a little high and if the customer takes the bait, awesome. If they don't take it, you'll have some wiggle room. - Sam

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
We install turn key on mulch for $60 yard here . (no clean up). I have put in bid for 30 yard of mulch and get killed on some one coming in half my price LOL I don,t know how they do it !!

starry night
02-23-2010, 09:53 AM
We install turn key on mulch for $60 yard here . (no clean up). I have put in bid for 30 yard of mulch and get killed on some one coming in half my price LOL I don,t know how they do it !!

They just do it for FUN.

LB1234
02-23-2010, 11:06 AM

prob a mulch blower. I can sub it out (although never have yet) for about $35-40 per cubic yard (min 15 yds if I recall). Debating to do it on some of the 25-40 yard mulch jobs we have. I could charge $60 per yard (about 20 less than what I charge now) and make 20/yd for a 10 minute phone call.

Only thing that makes me nervous is them rolling up in this big mulch blower with there name all over it...customer is gonna just get number and call IMHO.

Darryl G
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Some of the guys around here get free chips from the local recycling center and sell/install them. The problem is that there's all sorts of crap in it. Anything that ends up in the "brush" pile gets ground up in a big tub grinder. The problem is that furniture and some demo stuff ends up in the pile too. I can't bring myself to use the stuff, even if it is free.

pitrack
02-26-2010, 02:48 AM
I would be around $850-$875 for 12 yards of dyed mulch delivered and installed. No weeding or edging, and that's given that the beds are easy to get to and not too full of plantings.

TMAC
02-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I charge 40.00 per yard to spread @ 12 yrds 480.00. easily spread 3 yards an hour unless beds are far away still 2 1/2 yards an hours. dump it in the dway shovel it up with a large grain shovel or hay fork just a few shovels full n the per wheelie. if you got 2 people 1 wheelies the other spreads then switch after a few wheelies. I like when i got 2 of these a day ;0)

Darryl G
02-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I would be around $850-$875 for 12 yards of dyed mulch delivered and installed. No weeding or edging, and that's given that the beds are easy to get to and not too full of plantings.

Do you mean that red dyed stuff? I hate that stuff...looks tacky to me..I won't use it unless a customer insists and even then I don't like to.

IN2MOWN
02-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Do you mean that red dyed stuff? I hate that stuff...looks tacky to me..I won't use it unless a customer insists and even then I don't like to.

The red is horrid looking and stains every article of clothing you have on.

We also have brown and black dyed mulch. I install mainly brown. I have some big commercial lots I mulched in the fall. If they are wearing down Im just going to buy the dye and respray it.

Darryl G
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I mostly use natural cedar and pine bark mulches, some hardwood if it's a large back bed area or something and material cost is an issue. I like the bark mulches because once they set up you can hit them pretty hard with a blower without distrubing them, but you do have to watch that they don't form so much of a mat that water just runs off. It's hard to spread them thinly too if you're just trying to topdress..they don't sprinkle well.

I'm a fling it and clean up later kind of mulching guy. I've seen crews meticulously hand placing it all with 5 gallon buckets. I just fling, smooth as necessary, pull away from plant stems, blow off plants and smooth the humps a little with the blower and it looks great. Yah, if it's a tree ring or along an edge I'll place it, but for most beds I just fling, preferably right from the bed of my truck. Larger jobs I use the dump trailer, I don't usually even dump it...straight from there to wheel barrow. If it's large and a good distance I'll bring the tractor/loader out and sometimes drive the tractor right up onto the trailer to load...I really love mulch jobs, even the sore shoulders, lol. I don't understand these guys who dump it in the driveway just to pick it up again....I try to avoid that.