PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat question

MulchMan88
02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
So i ran a bobcat for snow removal this weekend, and let me start off buy saying that thing is a piece of sh*t. the foot petal control is a terrible idea and is so uncomfortable, especially if the machine is already been to hell. I couldnt tell you how many times we had to just stop and get out to stretch. Now i know to immediately cross off bobcat if i eventually buy a skid steer.

Anyway, so we got it friday, had it sitting on a trailer all friday night in the snow, and hit the neighborhoods about 7. everything was working fine besides that general fact that it just sucks. we plowed for 15 hours til 10, parked it and were back at the job site at 5:30. i go to start it and just let it run for a bit to warm up. i get in and try to move the bucket and its not moving at all. we went at it for an hour and couldnt get the arms to lift at all. the only movement we got was tilting the bucket up and down just a tad. there is a display in the back with lights and the bucket valve light was off. we couldnt find the valve and the only thing closest to one was a red button thing on the right side of the seat but it wouldnt move. we think it was leaking hydraulic fluid but it was working fine just 5 hours ago.

Anyone have any ideas? we rented the thing so we are going to raise hell tomorrow morning and not pay for today. i mean the thing would move even if the seatbelt was up. it would shake at idle and everything, just crap.

neighborguy
02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
take no offense to my question, did you push the little green button on the upper left side inside the cab? I know every now and then I have a guy that will forget and try to run the machine.

Good luck.

MulchMan88
02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
the only button in the upper left of our machine was a traction button to like lock the tires.

Caterkillar
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
LOL... that was my first impression of Bobcat as well. It was WORK just operating the damn thing. Pilot controls are definately more comfortable and efficient to me.

ladder6
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
The switch underneath the seat is bad. It has a plundger in the switch that is not releasing the hydraulics. This prevents the machine from unlocking itself. I had the same problem--Bobcat 763, brake released but machine did not move nor did the bucket arm go up or down. Lift the cab and call the local bobcat dealer---service guy. He will walk you thru taking out the 2 screws and getting it unlocked. Hope that helped! It cost me $300 rental for the day because I was stuck on a job site with my broken machine and unable to move triaxle loads of topsoil. Good luck!!!

shooterm
02-22-2010, 06:08 AM
All I've ever run is Bobcat controls with the exception of a few days on the goofy hands/foot controls. Anways after awhile you get the knack off them and get pretty comfortable how they work. We ended up renting a Komatsu with pilot controls for a job and I was blown away how natural it is. If anyone was a newer operator I'd strongly suggest them.

The safety features on all skidloaders are kinda wonkee. It could be your door not "shutting", green button top left, seatbelt not on, lapbar not all the way down..... One of our lead mechanic was the old Bobcat Dealer and he made us look stupid quite regulary.

MulchMan88
02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
we run all CATs at work and they are all pilot controls, which are so much better. it ended up being that the lever to release the bucket was frozen, so they had to spend like 3 hours thawing it out so they could put it on the trailer. needless to say we had quite an argument with the rental company.