PDA

View Full Version : Help With Finding Work

pjnlandscape
02-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, I have a question that i hop some of you will help me with. How do I advertise to specifically pick up mulching jobs, no weekly maintenance. I have a small business because I am still in High school so i have enough weekly mowing accounts. what i want is some good mulching or install type jobs that i can just knock out in the spring and put the cash in my pockets to buy a new Super Duty. how would i target this service?

2001 Chevy S10 LS Ext. cab
2009 Bobcat 36 Wb
Redmax Ebz7001
Redmax and Echo Handhelds

echeandia
02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
How about an ad that only mentions doing mulch? What are they teaching you kids in school now days?

pjnlandscape
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't know what they are teaching everyone else, all i know is they taught me to be an efficient slacker Lol. not to be a jerk but i had thoguht of the idea of putting out a mulch flier, i was more asking how to word it so i don;t seem like the little business i am. people tend not to trust the eighteen year old that comes to there house after he puts out a poorly worded ad that is not very impressive. for someone who probably fits into the not really a professional category, I hold myself to a high professional standard.

2009 Bobcat 36 Wb
Redmax Ebz7001

head_start
02-01-2010, 09:41 PM
sir they are teaching us whole lots of nothing, even when im paying attention im not getting any useful information out of it. All i can do is algebra read and write, that is pritty much it. I feel your pain, i am just trying to get mowing accounts let alone spesific jobs, that must be annoying.

Raymond S.
02-01-2010, 10:47 PM
sir they are teaching us whole lots of nothing, even when im paying attention im not getting any useful information out of it. All i can do is algebra read and write, that is pritty much it. I feel your pain, i am just trying to get mowing accounts let alone spesific jobs, that must be annoying.

Try paying attention a bit harder. May I suggest staying awake during English class for starters. If you guys are looking for suggestions on flyers perhaps you should start by working something up and running it by your English teacher for proofreading. If you don't want to come across like an 18 yr. old kid w/ a poorly worded flyer, then don't have a poorly worded flyer.
Sorry to come across so blunt but after 11 or 12 yrs. of school you should be able to write in complete sentences and compose something legible and appropriate for advertising services as simple as mulch.
Best of luck to you. If you would like some advice on a proposed flyer post up and we would be happy to make some suggestions.

echeandia
02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Neither of you can't put a simple sentence together and your spelling is atrocious. Forget about running a business. Your job right now is to get an education and study.

pjnlandscape
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
What does Atrocious mean? Lol. For the record I am an honors student in Massachusetts. but I also play football so i may have been hit in the head a few too many times who knows. So now I am posing the question plain and simple for you guys. How do i word a flier to gain mulch and install jobs? should i just make up a type of special springtime "deal" for people to get their sights set on having mulch installed? I am just not looking to get 25 voice mails asking for lawn prices when i don't need the accounts.

2009 Bobcat 36 Wb
Redmax Ebz7001

Easy Money 1
02-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I will have to agree with these guys the teachers now days are sad. The teachers are bad enough that some of the students are smarter (common sense wise). My cousin and I have started a lawn/landscape business also and are roughly 35 weekly accounts, and like doing it. Best of luck to you all, but seriously by 18 years old you should know how to spell.

T&J Mowing

2000 1500 silverado Z71
2004 1500 silverado Z71
2000 18' ft. corn pro trailer
(2)2005 exmark 60" 25 hp.
stihl and echo

sehitchman
02-02-2010, 12:30 AM
PJN, if you don't want a bunch of mowing calls do the following. Since you already have mowing customers, contact each one, tell them you have negotiated a great deal on mulch and would like to refresh their landscape beds. That you can give them a great price and would really appreciate the work until the mowing season kicks in. You ought to know these yards well enough to give them a price over the phone.

Or

Decide which of your current accounts would need the mulch the most. Fill up the trailer and truck after school and go to your mowing customers. Knock on the door and sell them the deal for mulching their beds. Since you surprised them, tell them you will pick up a check next Friday to take the edge off of the unexpected bill. While there, ask if they will call their neighbors and let them know what you are doing and the great deal you made them.

Work your phone and existing customers and get the work.

tinman
02-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Fliers, news paper classifieds, etc. Get a website which can give you a bit more legitimacy. That may get them over the 18 yr old factor. Good luck

head_start
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I will have to agree with these guys the teachers now days are sad. The teachers are bad enough that some of the students are smarter (common sense wise). My cousin and I have started a lawn/landscape business also and are roughly 35 weekly accounts, and like doing it. Best of luck to you all, but seriously by 18 years old you should know how to spell.

T&J Mowing

2000 1500 silverado Z71
2004 1500 silverado Z71
2000 18' ft. corn pro trailer
(2)2005 exmark 60" 25 hp.
stihl and echo

my sister and i are dislexic, so spelling is the hardest thing. On the other hand we work hard, so mowing is something i can do. I appriciate all the advice, even if it is to use the dictionary

Easy Money 1
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Well i apologize, I'm sorry but at least you all are hard workers that will get you farther in life.

head_start
02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I feel this post has been very helpful, thank you Pjn i have learned a bunch, and thank you everyone else i learned much. have a great week.