PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first Cummins!

Lawn Enforcer
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I bought a Ford with a plow a couple months ago out of necessity, but now a Ram with a Cummins is available for me to purchase. I'm now in the process of selling the Ford, and then buying the Cummins.
1989 Dodge W250, 1st generation Cummins, 4x4, long box, 7.5' Meyer steel plow (in EXCELLENT shape), 180,000 miles, rebuilt auto tranny 3,000 miles ago, new injector pump 900 miles ago, steel wheels, good tires, 5" stacks, 10 cab lights, for $2,600.
This will be my first diesel, so any and all knowledge I can gain will be golden. Anyone have tips for me? What kind of maintenance schedule should I follow?
Thanks!

hondarancher4435
02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Congrats you will love the truck. Nothing beats a cummins. sounds like an excellent deal you are getting for the truck. You will want to check out cumminsforum . com for all the info you will ever need. as far as oil changes i would go every 5000mi with rotella T 15w40.

I drive a 1996 ram 2500 12 valve cummins.

haybaler
02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
awesome deal. I have 3 cummins. best engine ever made.

Cummins343
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Those cummins will put that PSD to shame! Great Purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
02-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Those cummins will put that PSD to shame! Great Purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

He never said he had a PSD no was one spoken of..Pay attention..:hammerhead:

bobcat48
02-01-2010, 11:47 PM

haha:laugh:

Gravel Rat
02-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I have a feeling this truck has been beat on a little bit so keep in mind your buying somebodys worn out junk.

If its had rebuilt injectors something is wrong with it I can see the injection pump being a rotary.

The rebuilt automatic is a given.

It is a Dodge what do you expect the 5.9 Cummins has always been a throwaway engine like the rest but so many people are brainwashed into thinking its the best engine on the planet. Cummins makes millions of dollars off of the brainwashed people and the people that sell the performance stuff make even more money.

Cummins had absolutely no market for the 5.9 engine till Dodge started using it. If it wasn't for Dodge Cummins would have stopped making the 5.9 long time ago before they even started making the 24 valve or the 6.7.

pitrack
02-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I have a feeling this truck has been beat on a little bit so keep in mind your buying somebodys worn out junk.

If its had rebuilt injectors something is wrong with it I can see the injection pump being a rotary.

The rebuilt automatic is a given.

It is a Dodge what do you expect the 5.9 Cummins has always been a throwaway engine like the rest but so many people are brainwashed into thinking its the best engine on the planet. Cummins makes millions of dollars off of the brainwashed people and the people that sell the performance stuff make even more money.

Cummins had absolutely no market for the 5.9 engine till Dodge started using it. If it wasn't for Dodge Cummins would have stopped making the 5.9 long time ago before they even started making the 24 valve or the 6.7.

:laugh:You done? You can unravel your panties now.:rolleyes:

mini14
02-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Injectors on that engine r now $20.00, and can be done in 1 hr. that cant be said for a psd.......ive been brainwashed for 10 years and my friend with a 6.0 is now poor since hes blown an engine and 4 trannys. His 04 wont start now and cant afford to get it fixed, after throwing another $1200 at a new ficm. 6 in a row is the only way to go cause a v-8 just aint that great

pitrack
02-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Injectors on that engine r now $20.00, and can be done in 1 hr. that cant be said for a psd.......ive been brainwashed for 10 years and my friend with a 6.0 is now poor since hes blown an engine and 4 trannys. His 04 wont start now and cant afford to get it fixed, after throwing another $1200 at a new ficm. 6 in a row is the only way to go cause a v-8 just aint that great

Haha

I know a guy who just bought a used 6.0 and the thing took a dump on him a month after he bought it. Has to get a whole new engine.

I'm "brainwashed" too though.

WalkerMike98
02-02-2010, 01:21 AM
i have a cummins with 420000 on the clock. Still going strong. The 5.9 is one of the best engines they ever made.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 01:32 AM
If you want a 160hp gutless pig buy a Cummins with a rotary pump. As for buying injectors for 20 dollars you must be buying cheap junk.

In the USA it is worse you guys believe anything engine manufactures say to you. If Cummins says the 5.9 is a medium duty engine you guys beleive it like its Gods word. Trust me put a 5.9 in a medium duty truck with a 33,000-35,000lb gvw it dies pretty quick your lucky to get 125,000 miles out of it.

Cummins loves it because they know d*mn well they can sell the suckers a throwaway engine. They made big money from Dodge.

The 7.3 and 6.0 are throwaway engines aswell.

You can safely say 90% of the 6.0 problems stem from the people that own the truck and the dealer that can't fix a truck.

There is lots of 6.0 powered trucks around here that haven't had a problem. You have a dealer that can fix and diagnose problems properly and not throw parts at it and make what ever problem worse. Also you have a area where the engine works hard the engine is always hot and runs at the proper temperature.

There are many 7.3 PSDs in this area that have out lived a 5.9 Cummins by a long shot. A 5.9 Cummins around here your lucky to reach 350,000kms (218,000 miles).

One of the tow truck operators says he has 500,000kms (311,000 miles) on his 7.3 PSD that is pretty unheard of around here. Truck works daily.

Most Dodge trucks are at the crusher when they hit 300,000kms (187,000 miles) the old Boxy body trucks the sheet metal litterally falls off.

I guess there is a difference from a flat lander where you pee yourself when you see a 3% grade compared to a place where you have 10% grades and with a 5.9 Cummins you have it redlined to climb the hills. My brothers 95 Cummins you litterally have to have your foot to the floor to climb any hill.

pitrack
02-02-2010, 02:19 AM
If you want a 160hp gutless pig buy a Cummins with a rotary pump. As for buying injectors for 20 dollars you must be buying cheap junk.

In the USA it is worse you guys believe anything engine manufactures say to you. If Cummins says the 5.9 is a medium duty engine you guys beleive it like its Gods word. Trust me put a 5.9 in a medium duty truck with a 33,000-35,000lb gvw it dies pretty quick your lucky to get 125,000 miles out of it.

Cummins loves it because they know d*mn well they can sell the suckers a throwaway engine. They made big money from Dodge.

The 7.3 and 6.0 are throwaway engines aswell.

You can safely say 90% of the 6.0 problems stem from the people that own the truck and the dealer that can't fix a truck.

There is lots of 6.0 powered trucks around here that haven't had a problem. You have a dealer that can fix and diagnose problems properly and not throw parts at it and make what ever problem worse. Also you have a area where the engine works hard the engine is always hot and runs at the proper temperature.

There are many 7.3 PSDs in this area that have out lived a 5.9 Cummins by a long shot. A 5.9 Cummins around here your lucky to reach 350,000kms (218,000 miles).

One of the tow truck operators says he has 500,000kms (311,000 miles) on his 7.3 PSD that is pretty unheard of around here. Truck works daily.

Most Dodge trucks are at the crusher when they hit 300,000kms (187,000 miles) the old Boxy body trucks the sheet metal litterally falls off.

I guess there is a difference from a flat lander where you pee yourself when you see a 3% grade compared to a place where you have 10% grades and with a 5.9 Cummins you have it redlined to climb the hills. My brothers 95 Cummins you litterally have to have your foot to the floor to climb any hill.

Cool.

So what engine is not a "throw away" engine? In your opinion. Don't even really know why I care, just curious.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Any Cummins engine that is a L-10 or larger is a REAL Cummins engine the 3.9-5.9-8.3 are toys.

You Dodge boys are little boys playing with toys with your wanna be big rig :laugh:

I always have to laugh how defensive Dodge Cummins guys are. You stand up for your precious Cummins engine like its your first born.

I guess some of you have never driven a real Cummins engine before. Something you let off the clutch and feel the power not a puny little engine that can barely pull its own weight.

You strip down a 5.9 to a bare block the engine is tiny even fully dressed the engine is a runt.

pitrack
02-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Any Cummins engine that is a L-10 or larger is a REAL Cummins engine the 3.9-5.9-8.3 are toys.

You Dodge boys are little boys playing with toys with your wanna be big rig :laugh:

I always have to laugh how defensive Dodge Cummins guys are. You stand up for your precious Cummins engine like its your first born.

I guess some of you have never driven a real Cummins engine before. Something you let off the clutch and feel the power not a puny little engine that can barely pull its own weight.

You strip down a 5.9 to a bare block the engine is tiny even fully dressed the engine is a runt.

dude, what is wrong with your tampon tonight? Do you need to change it?

relax, of course you are going to get people giving you crap when you act like you know everything.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 02:56 AM
dude, what is wrong with your tampon tonight? Do you need to change it?

relax, of course you are going to get people giving you crap when you act like you know everything.

I don't get worked up about anything just laugh at Dodge boys drooling over a engine :laugh:

pitrack
02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't get worked up about anything just laugh at Dodge boys drooling over a engine :laugh:

You mean "an".

I could care less what you think, I love my truck, and engine. I won't be stranded on the side of the road with my pos 6.0.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 03:06 AM
You mean "an".

I could care less what you think, I love my truck, and engine. I won't be stranded on the side of the road with my pos 6.0.

My 6.0 has never stranded me on the side of the road drive it every day the truck weighs 9800lbs empty.

pitrack
02-02-2010, 03:10 AM
I bought a Ford with a plow a couple months ago out of necessity, but now a Ram with a Cummins is available for me to purchase. I'm now in the process of selling the Ford, and then buying the Cummins.
1989 Dodge W250, 1st generation Cummins, 4x4, long box, 7.5' Meyer steel plow (in EXCELLENT shape), 180,000 miles, rebuilt auto tranny 3,000 miles ago, new injector pump 900 miles ago, steel wheels, good tires, 5" stacks, 10 cab lights, for $2,600.
This will be my first diesel, so any and all knowledge I can gain will be golden. Anyone have tips for me? What kind of maintenance schedule should I follow?
Thanks!

I apologize for hijacking, best of luck with the truck man.

LawnmastersMikejr
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
My 6.0 has never stranded me on the side of the road drive it every day the truck weighs 9800lbs empty.

Give it time. You may be a lucky one but our 6.0 is junk! I don't know if the Cummins in Canada are different(joking) but we beat the crap out of them here in Ohio and they hold up just fine. Go to www.competitiondiesel.com or www.cumminsforum.com and tell them how you think Cummins are junk. The weakest link in the Dodge trucks is the automatic transmissions. Leave the motor stock and the tranny will last. Change the fuel filter every other oil change and add fuel treatment every other tank. The 5.9 Cummins is used in several different commercial applications, google it. They commonly power school buses.

LawnmastersMikejr
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
"I guess there is a difference from a flat lander where you pee yourself when you see a 3% grade compared to a place where you have 10% grades and with a 5.9 Cummins you have it redlined to climb the hills. My brothers 95 Cummins you litterally have to have your foot to the floor to climb any hill."
Tell him to fix the slipping clutch or slipping auto tranny. Maybe it has a clogged air filter.

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 10:53 AM

He has a point here, I have a gas Ford, it's ok. I would NEVER have a Powerjoke though. There is a guy I know that has a '05 Powerjoke all piped out and he thinks it's the sweetest sounding thing on earth. It's sounds like ****, the most awful sound I think I've ever heard an engine produce. And that thing is in and out of the shop constantly.

KPS
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
He has a point here, I have a gas Ford, it's ok. I would NEVER have a Powerjoke though. There is a guy I know that has a '05 Powerjoke all piped out and he thinks it's the sweetest sounding thing on earth. It's sounds like ****, the most awful sound I think I've ever heard an engine produce. And that thing is in and out of the shop constantly.

Pretty ignorant basing that decision on one truck, A poorly tuned one no doubt. There are far far more Ford Powerstrokes doing heavy towing for contractors all across north america than GM or Dodge combined.

Blueribbonlawns
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Well lets see some pic's of this truck if you have it yet?

JD7210
02-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Gravelrat, Your so full of $hit. Ladys and Gentleman ignore his previous comments. He drives a 6.0l Ford enough said.................................

WH401
02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks!

Sounds like a good truck, and we'll worth the money. Take care of it and it will serve you for a long time.

In stock form the 727 auto in the 89's is a decently reliable piece. I have 172.5k on the A518 auto, (just a 727 with an overdrive slapped on the end), in my 92' and it's the factory build. I would say the likely reason the 727 was replaced in this 89' was due to the plow on the truck. As a normal procedure before you take off, after you start the engine put the shifter in to neutrel and let it idle for about 15 - 30 seconds. Chrysler/Dodge transmission don't pump fluid in park so if you don't do this then you'll be starting out with a "dry" torque converter, which is very hard on it.

The injection pump needing to be replaced probably stemmed from running ULSD without a lubrication additive such as Power Service or Stanadyne, (make sure you pick some of that up to use in every tank of fuel, the white bottle is for winter and the gray for summer), or the lift pump could have gone out and the injection pump was starved for fuel.

I'd take the stacks off if you can, I don't think customers will like seeing those on the truck. A company called Stan's Header's makes one of the best 4" turbo back exhaust's for 1st Gen Dodge's.

I go 5k between every oil change while using a regular dino 15w-40. Using a synthetic oil will allow you to go slightly longer on changes, (but base how long you can go off of the results of a used oil analysis), not to mention synthetics make an engine happier in the winter. In my 92' I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40, it's a regular dino oil. No I don't just use it because it has a "Cummins Recommended" sticker stamped on the side of it. I use it because it has the highest TBN ("total base number", it controls the acidity level in oil over it's usable life time), of any other new CJ-4 rated oil. I also only use a regular dino because my 92' only see's about 5k miles a year, so it would be a waste to run synthetic. In the 06 though I'll start running synthetic soon and probably go at least 15k between changes.

Head on over to the DieselTruckResource (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com) and sign up. There's a wealth of information there for your truck in the 1st Gen forums, as well as a lot of knowledgeable owners. You'll be able to find out about various preventative maintenance practice's, how to make you truck last as long as possible, and learn about different ways to customize your truck to make it even better than it already is.

Also check out GenosGarage (http://www.genosgarage.com), they are the best online shop for parts, maintenance items, and accessories for Dodge Cummins trucks.

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Pretty ignorant basing that decision on one truck, A poorly tuned one no doubt. There are far far more Ford Powerstrokes doing heavy towing for contractors all across north america than GM or Dodge combined.

I was telling of one example of experiences I witnessed with PSD's. I know far more people who use Cummins for towing than the PSD.

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a good truck, and we'll worth the money. Take care of it and it will serve you for a long time.

In stock form the 727 auto in the 89's is a decently reliable piece. I have 172.5k on the A518 auto, (just a 727 with an overdrive slapped on the end), in my 92' and it's the factory build. I would say the likely reason the 727 was replaced in this 89' was due to the plow on the truck. As a normal procedure before you take off, after you start the engine put the shifter in to neutrel and let it idle for about 15 - 30 seconds. Chrysler/Dodge transmission don't pump fluid in park so if you don't do this then you'll be starting out with a "dry" torque converter, which is very hard on it.
I agree with you on the tranny part, he said he rebuilt it before winter because he could tell it was going out, but it was basically to make sure it would make it through the winter and not break down. I always put the shifter into neutral in all vehicles anyway, so that's normal practice for me.
The injection pump needing to be replaced probably stemmed from running ULSD without a lubrication additive such as Power Service or Stanadyne, (make sure you pick some of that up to use in every tank of fuel, the white bottle is for winter and the gray for summer), or the lift pump could have gone out and the injection pump was starved for fuel.
Excellent, I'll be sure to get some
I'd take the stacks off if you can, I don't think customers will like seeing those on the truck. A company called Stan's Header's makes one of the best 4" turbo back exhaust's for 1st Gen Dodge's.
I personally like the stacks too much, and I don't know how much I will be using this truck for business purposes besides plowing
I go 5k between every oil change while using a regular dino 15w-40. Using a synthetic oil will allow you to go slightly longer on changes, (but base how long you can go off of the results of a used oil analysis), not to mention synthetics make an engine happier in the winter. In my 92' I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40, it's a regular dino oil. No I don't just use it because it has a "Cummins Recommended" sticker stamped on the side of it. I use it because it has the highest TBN ("total base number", it controls the acidity level in oil over it's usable life time), of any other new CJ-4 rated oil. I also only use a regular dino because my 92' only see's about 5k miles a year, so it would be a waste to run synthetic. In the 06 though I'll start running synthetic soon and probably go at least 15k between changes.
I was thinking about talking to my Amsoil guy about switching it all over
Head on over to the DieselTruckResource (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com) and sign up. There's a wealth of information there for your truck in the 1st Gen forums, as well as a lot of knowledgeable owners. You'll be able to find out about various preventative maintenance practice's, how to make you truck last as long as possible, and learn about different ways to customize your truck to make it even better than it already is.
Already did some skimming over threads on there
Also check out GenosGarage (http://www.genosgarage.com), they are the best online shop for parts, maintenance items, and accessories for Dodge Cummins trucks.
I'll check it out. Thanks for all the information, you've been very helpful. This truck has been well taken care of mechanically, I know the guy who had it pretty well. I just want it to last as long as possible. Thanks again!

KPS
02-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I was telling of one example of experiences I witnessed with PSD's. I know far more people who use Cummins for towing than the PSD.

Exactly! you base your opinion of the Powerstroke diesel on one example. I like Ford for the whole package that it is, a Dodge is nothing without the Cummins, a Ford is without a doubt a better overall truck. Hey don't get me wrong the Cummins is a good motor, but not the sole reason to buy a Dodge. You like them that's fine but don't make an ignorant comment against Fords just cause you know of a guy who drives a pile. Cumminsforum is chock full of problematic vehicles as well FYI.

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Exactly! you base your opinion of the Powerstroke diesel on one example. I like Ford for the whole package that it is, a Dodge is nothing without the Cummins, a Ford is without a doubt a better overall truck. Hey don't get me wrong the Cummins is a good motor, but not the sole reason to buy a Dodge. You like them that's fine but don't make an ignorant comment against Fords just cause you know of a guy who drives a pile. Cumminsforum is chock full of problematic vehicles as well FYI.

We all have our opinions, my '05 Ram has been nothing but great so I could say a Dodge is overall a better truck. It's an opinion. And I know more than one guy that drives a problematic PSD. Please, to everyone, no more comments about PSD's or the Duramax. I'm here for info on a Cummins, and that's it. Nobody will change my mind about buying the Cummins. I'm set on it, and that's it.

Anyone with info like WH401 has, please share. Otherwise, take your pissing matches somewhere else. Thanks!

AtoZ
02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
If you can pay cash for the truck - BUY IT!!! Heck if you don't wan't it, I'll drive up there and get it myself. I would love to find an affordable 12 valve... For $2,600 you really can't go wrong. I've got both Powerstrokes, Cummins and Dt-466's. I like them all. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but - TO ALL YOU DIEHARD GM/FORD/DODGE guys out there, Nothing is perfect - deal with it. Way too many emotional people...

If you've weighed the pros and cons and can financially justify a purchase that adds to your bottom line - go for it...

Let us know how it pans out... Good thing I didn't buy that '71 International pickup yesterday!!! I smell a 12 valve in my future...

KPS
02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh don't you worry I'm not emotional by any means, It just grinds my gears when someone says something is all garbage and junk when it's heresay from a guy they know. Ahyhow, I'm sure the Dodge will be good for years to come, those old mechanical 12V diesels are a legend for longevity.

Blueribbonlawns
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
We need pic's

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Here is a pic from when I looked at it about a week ago. Needs a little cosmetic work, but he has good fenders to replace the rusted ones.

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Something tells me there are two big things that makes this purchase worth it. The engine, and the plow. This thing is immaculate, put on in 1993 from what I hear. I'll be getting steel wheels on it, not the aluminum as shown on the back. The tires are pretty good too.

Lawn Enforcer
02-02-2010, 11:24 PM
If you can pay cash for the truck - BUY IT!!! Heck if you don't wan't it, I'll drive up there and get it myself. I would love to find an affordable 12 valve... For $2,600 you really can't go wrong. I've got both Powerstrokes, Cummins and Dt-466's. I like them all. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but - TO ALL YOU DIEHARD GM/FORD/DODGE guys out there, Nothing is perfect - deal with it. Way too many emotional people...

If you've weighed the pros and cons and can financially justify a purchase that adds to your bottom line - go for it...

Let us know how it pans out... Good thing I didn't buy that '71 International pickup yesterday!!! I smell a 12 valve in my future...

This truck is mine! And it's in a hidden location, so good luck finding it! :laugh:

zak406
02-03-2010, 12:59 AM
You sound a bit biased gravel rat.. I own a 1985 dodge power ram 150 and its still in perfect condition.. I know its not a diesel.. However i try to kill it and it never dies it just keeps on running. No i wont win any races but i paid 2750 for it when i was 16 i am now 19 and maybe have 2000 more into it (between tires new rims oil changes small repairs and inspections), so you can keep your 6.0 in which you have no work for with a 500 dollar a month payment, while i continue to save my money so i can move out of my PARENTS HOUSE SOME DAY....... other than that my buddies dad has a cummins and so does my old boss and they both run perfect.. :usflag:

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 01:32 AM
You wouldn't see Dodge in that year around here the frame would be rusted through. The rocker panels would be non existant and the box wouldn't be there anymore.

Trucks say 94 to 97 there is so much rust in them they are not legal for the road.

As I have said when you have a place where resource industries buy lots of pickup trucks the truck of choice is Ford gas or diesel.

Dodge has always been cheap junk and always will be cheap junk. Independant repair shops don't even want to work on Dodge trucks because they are built so poorly and made with cheap parts.

pitrack
02-03-2010, 01:37 AM
You wouldn't see Dodge in that year around here the frame would be rusted through. The rocker panels would be non existant and the box wouldn't be there anymore.

Trucks say 94 to 97 there is so much rust in them they are not legal for the road.

As I have said when you have a place where resource industries buy lots of pickup trucks the truck of choice is Ford gas or diesel.

Dodge has always been cheap junk and always will be cheap junk. Independant repair shops don't even want to work on Dodge trucks because they are built so poorly and made with cheap parts.

Will you just stop talking? Really.

Truck looks good, have fun with it.

zak406
02-03-2010, 01:49 AM

although were i live may not be as bad as your god forsaken shack in the woods (im sorry shack in your PARENTS BASEMENT) we still get snow and rain and use salt on the roads... I forgot though just how terrible it is in bc. Look at the good side though gr 9 days till the olympics :)

Millers Lawn Care
02-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Good luck on the truck! My first one was a 90 & now I have the 98 & love both of them. Hope it gives you many years of service.

KPS
02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Well The plow is a Meyer so don't get too excited about it, and the engine might be the only thing left thats any good on that. The stacks are ugly and the only thing not rusted or dented, that thing is a quite the pile. It would be a good farm truck but not a vehical to be seen at a jobsite in. It screams REDNECK.:dizzy:

razor1
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Good luck with the truck. I almost bought a Dodge diesel last year and found some good info here>>> http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/

In defense of Gravel Rat, diesel engines in pick up trucks are excellent but not as easily rebuildable as their big brothers (if you will), in larger trucks & semi's....those engines will run 300,000 to 500,000 miles, get rebuilt and do it all over again.

wanabe
02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Good luck with that old Dodge. They were nothing but junk, from the rear brakes, door windows, ect. Ever price a rear brake drum for one of them? I can buy a new Freightliner brake drum for 1/3 of the price. We had one at work and it was just one problem after another. And GR is right, the 5.9 is a throw away motor. How many on here know that it does not even have cam bearings in the block? No sleves as well. Kind of like the old cat 3208.

LawnmastersMikejr
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't see how you guys can think a motor that commonly goes 300,000+ miles is a throw away motor. Comparing pickup trucks to semi's? Seriously? A rear brake drum is around $50, just got one for my neighbor not too long ago.

Lawn Enforcer
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Well The plow is a Meyer so don't get too excited about it, and the engine might be the only thing left thats any good on that. The stacks are ugly and the only thing not rusted or dented, that thing is a quite the pile. It would be a good farm truck but not a vehical to be seen at a jobsite in. It screams REDNECK.:dizzy:

Seriously, stay away from this thread. I am here to get information about how I can care for my Cummins, how to properly take care of one. I don't need your opinion. To all of you who keep going back and forth about Cummins and PSD, stop please. I am here to get information, not opinions about the PSD.

Thanks to everyone who has given helpful information, I appreciate it!

Cummins343
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Great purchase man! You will love that truck forever. It will pay for itself in one snowfall!:weightlifter:

Cummins343
02-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Dodge has always been cheap junk and always will be cheap junk. Independant repair shops don't even want to work on Dodge trucks because they are built so poorly and made with cheap parts.You always refer to "around here". NO ONE CARES what people drive in BC. NO ONE. Maybe YOU do but Lawn Enforcer doesn't. :nono:

Lawn Enforcer
02-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Great purchase man! You will love that truck forever. It will pay for itself in one snowfall!:weightlifter:

Thanks
Not sure if one snowfall will do it, I don't have enough accounts to pay for it in one storm....yet!

TXNSLighting
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Good luck with the truck man! The Cummins is a great fun engine. Stack look pretty cool. I bet shes a loud one. Get us some pics when the cosmetics have had their touch ups, and i know you'll love it!

Cummins343
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks
Not sure if one snowfall will do it, I don't have enough accounts to pay for it in one storm....yet!10-4 daddy 'o. I do like the truck. I like the 1st Gen cummins. Good motors.

Lawn Enforcer
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Good luck with the truck man! The Cummins is a great fun engine. Stack look pretty cool. I bet shes a loud one. Get us some pics when the cosmetics have had their touch ups, and i know you'll love it!

Thanks! I can't afford to go out and buy like an '05 Ram with a Cummins, so for this price I'm gonna put a little money into it and just have some fun with it and learn what diesels are all about. The stacks don't make it as loud as you would think, it just gives it a really nice sounds. I really would like to put a flatbed on it and repaint the cab in summer.

KPS
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Seriously, stay away from this thread. I am here to get information about how I can care for my Cummins, how to properly take care of one. I don't need your opinion. To all of you who keep going back and forth about Cummins and PSD, stop please. I am here to get information, not opinions about the PSD.

Thanks to everyone who has given helpful information, I appreciate it!

I said nothing about a PSD in that reply, merely that the truck looks like a beat-up farm rig.

Blueribbonlawns
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks! I can't afford to go out and buy like an '05 Ram with a Cummins, so for this price I'm gonna put a little money into it and just have some fun with it and learn what diesels are all about. The stacks don't make it as loud as you would think, it just gives it a really nice sounds. I really would like to put a flatbed on it and repaint the cab in summer.

Ya that would look sweet!

Lawn Enforcer
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Ya that would look sweet!

Oh yes, I'm excited to work on it this summer. I can't wait to give it a little love and make it look real good.

razor1
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Uh oh, better get MAACO!

Lawn Enforcer
02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Uh oh, better get MAACO!

I thought about that, but I know quite a few guys that paint vehicles and do a very nice job so I'll stick with them. I actually don't know if there is a Maaco around me anyway.

razor1
02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
A friend of mine used Maaco and it looked pretty good.

Lawn Enforcer
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
A friend of mine used Maaco and it looked pretty good.

From what I hear, using Maaco to get a descent paintjob on a work truck is one of the best ways to go.

TXNSLighting
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM

You will never want to own a gas engine again! Thats for sure..Yeh i know about the stacks. Ive always thought they quieted down diesels. The first gens werent really as loud as the later years..But theyre still fun! O and all you have to do is turn a screw and you have some good extra HP!

TXNSLighting
02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
yep i agree about Maaco! Great and cheap for work trucks! personal...?? no...

Lawn Enforcer
02-04-2010, 11:39 PM
You will never want to own a gas engine again! Thats for sure..Yeh i know about the stacks. Ive always thought they quieted down diesels. The first gens werent really as loud as the later years..But theyre still fun! O and all you have to do is turn a screw and you have some good extra HP!

You're not the first person to tell me that! Stacks are moderately quiet, but it still has a nice rumble going down the highway, and they sure do turn heads! And another nice thing about these early Cummins is that adjustments are easy. The guy said it really rolls coal, but it was dark out when we drove it so I couldn't tell.

TXNSLighting
02-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Yeh those are no strangers to a hair bit of smoke...And yeh super sinple to work on, and make faster.. I really dont get the "throw away engine" talk...The Cummins is stout and will run forever...No ones talking about putting these in big rigs..o well.

mudwisr2
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
do your homework on the truck and if everything checks out go for it. My buddy ran into a guy the other day who had 1.3 million miles on his first gen cummins (think it was a 91). I have a 2nd and 3rd gen cummins right now and love both of them. The truck itself is nothing to jump up and down about but the engine is great and will pull anything, anywhere day in and day out.

Lawn Enforcer
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeh those are no strangers to a hair bit of smoke...And yeh super sinple to work on, and make faster.. I really dont get the "throw away engine" talk...The Cummins is stout and will run forever...No ones talking about putting these in big rigs..o well.

Exactly, easy to work and learn on. I've heard nothing but good things about these engines, so I'm happy about it.

02DURAMAX
02-05-2010, 10:51 PM

What a waste of LIFE....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::hammerhead:

ga site works
02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
You cannot beat a Cummins. Yes the auto trans is the weak link, but I got 203K on my A518 in the 92 before the rebuild. I prefer the 6pseed in my 01, wish the 1st gen was a manual as well. The manual trans really compliments the Cummins engine. I have had several thorough the years, and know many people who own them. If you want to pull, the Dodge is the only way to go. You will also like th 16-22 mpg empty as well on the 1st gen.

Cummins343
02-06-2010, 07:11 PM
What a waste of LIFE....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::hammerhead:Gravel Rat cracks me up! I mean.....the guy knows everything there is about trucks!

Gravel Rat
02-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Laugh all you want there are repair shops that tell people with Dodge trucks they are too busy. For one getting parts for Dodge vehicals is next to impossible any parts has to come from somewhere in the USA so your waiting a week for parts to arrive. Any of the Chrysler parts used on the Cummins are very expensive pieces for the throttle linkages is over 200 dollars.

Like I said my brother has a 95 Dodge Cummins anytime he needs parts from a dealer it is the biggest pain in the azz. Any parts for a Ford if they don't have it the part is the next day and it is the right part.

My brothers truck needs a rebuild injection pump has 230,000kms 143,000 miles on the engine. The engine has blow by the road draft tube looks like a exhaust pipe. The engine leaks oil from every place it can. If its cold say anything from 0 celcius 32 degress farenhiet the truck needs to be plugged in or it won't start.

As for fuel mileage at best 15mpg my brother sees with his truck most guys with Dodges around here barely make it past 16mpg with a empty truck.

The old boxy Dodges with the 12 valve and rotary pump with any kind of load on them and climbing 10% grades a semi grossing 140,000lbs can pass the Dodge :laugh:

Lawn Enforcer
02-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Laugh all you want there are repair shops that tell people with Dodge trucks they are too busy. For one getting parts for Dodge vehicals is next to impossible any parts has to come from somewhere in the USA so your waiting a week for parts to arrive. Any of the Chrysler parts used on the Cummins are very expensive pieces for the throttle linkages is over 200 dollars.

Like I said my brother has a 95 Dodge Cummins anytime he needs parts from a dealer it is the biggest pain in the azz. Any parts for a Ford if they don't have it the part is the next day and it is the right part.

My brothers truck needs a rebuild injection pump has 230,000kms 143,000 miles on the engine. The engine has blow by the road draft tube looks like a exhaust pipe. The engine leaks oil from every place it can. If its cold say anything from 0 celcius 32 degress farenhiet the truck needs to be plugged in or it won't start.

As for fuel mileage at best 15mpg my brother sees with his truck most guys with Dodges around here barely make it past 16mpg with a empty truck.

The old boxy Dodges with the 12 valve and rotary pump with any kind of load on them and climbing 10% grades a semi grossing 140,000lbs can pass the Dodge :laugh:

I can think of like 20 places within a 1/2 hour of my house where I can get parts for my Dodge, most of them are overnight delivery too. But, that's the USA for ya.
And the night I went and looked at it, it was sitting outside, it was 3 degrees out and it fired right up. I know for a fact it had not been moved, plugged in, or even started for 4 days.
Fuel mileage for this Dodge was 17-19mpg, but it only has a 3 speed, so you can't expect anything great.

mini14
02-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Ive never had a prob, either....u can spend 3k at the dealer for an injection pump, or wait 2 days and get the same thing from a shop in another state for $900.....been there done that, no different then any other vehile on the road. Just about every part on that cummins can be rebuilt cheaply and will last another 100k before it needs to be done again.....if it wont start without pluging in he needs a new grid heater or soleniods.

woodchuck
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
congrats!! the cummins is so easy to work on I just sold my first gen last december and I miss it already!! i got a d'max now and I like the comfort but miss the cummins!!

first off change all the fluids and flush that tranny.. I do that with all my used trucks when I get them. Then I refill with amsoil. I only do this because I can feel the difference.. my cummins was getting 22 miles to the gallon empty in stock form. loved it.

congrats on the truck.... I sold mine for 2000 with a cummins 4x4 and 5 speed manual tranny.... I should have held out for more money!! dont listen to the haters on here cummins are the best diesel motor in a 3 quarter or 1 ton truck!! just ask Lee Iacocca!!

Lawn Enforcer
02-10-2010, 02:29 PM
congrats!! the cummins is so easy to work on I just sold my first gen last december and I miss it already!! i got a d'max now and I like the comfort but miss the cummins!!

first off change all the fluids and flush that tranny.. I do that with all my used trucks when I get them. Then I refill with amsoil. I only do this because I can feel the difference.. my cummins was getting 22 miles to the gallon empty in stock form. loved it.

congrats on the truck.... I sold mine for 2000 with a cummins 4x4 and 5 speed manual tranny.... I should have held out for more money!! dont listen to the haters on here cummins are the best diesel motor in a 3 quarter or 1 ton truck!! just ask Lee Iacocca!!

Thanks! I use Amsoil in everything already, so that's a given. What Amsoil diesel oil did you use? Did you have the Cummins by-pass filter?

woodchuck
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
no, stock filter location, but the amsoil I believe was 15 40 for diesels built before ulsd. i also put an ounce per gallon of 2 stroke oil every time I fuel up to replace lubricity lacked in the ulsd. I kept my first gen stock but my 94 I modded a little, in retrospect I would say dont mod it too much, it is fun and addictive but you pay alot for it and never get your money back. any how if you ever hit a wall and cannot figure someting out send me a pm and I will see if I can help. Take care, Keith

Lawn Enforcer
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
no, stock filter location, but the amsoil I believe was 15 40 for diesels built before ulsd. i also put an ounce per gallon of 2 stroke oil every time I fuel up to replace lubricity lacked in the ulsd. I kept my first gen stock but my 94 I modded a little, in retrospect I would say dont mod it too much, it is fun and addictive but you pay alot for it and never get your money back. any how if you ever hit a wall and cannot figure someting out send me a pm and I will see if I can help. Take care, Keith

Ok, thanks for the valuable info. I plan on keeping it stock, because I don't want to mess around with it too much. I see it the same way, it's a lot of money to spend that I won't get out of it. I'll send you a PM if I need help. Thanks again!

wanabe
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
dont listen to the haters on here cummins are the best diesel motor in a 3 quarter or 1 ton truck!! just ask Lee Iacocca!!

I thought he ran chrysler in the ground back in the early 80's? And the government bailed them out too.

WH401
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I thought he ran chrysler in the ground back in the early 80's? And the government bailed them out too.

He revived Chrysler in the 80's...

Junior M
02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Awesome truck! I'd paint it red, throw some wheels on it..

Of course remove those stacks.. :laugh:

Looks like a good truck..

Btw, just ignore GR, if it isnt Ford to him, its a POS. He's a waste of oxygen, time and internet space!

Cummins343
02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Awesome truck! I'd paint it red, throw some wheels on it..

Of course remove those stacks.. :laugh:

Looks like a good truck..

Btw, just ignore GR, if it isnt Ford to him, its a POS. He's a waste of oxygen, time and internet space!:):):clapping::clapping::clapping::dancing:Thumbs Up

Swampy
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Btw, just ignore GR, if it isnt Ford to him, its a POS. He's a waste of oxygen, time and internet space!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Classic.

Good luck with the truck! I've wanted to find a 1st gen with a cummins for a while but only finding 2wd models. which is a no no:nono:

davis45
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
The most info I have got from this thread is that GR is a F^c$(N idiot. All you ever talk bout is how stuck up fords a$$ you are and how intense the terrain is around you. Guess what bud, we dont give a flyin f***.

I like my cummins, but im not brand loyal. In reality I wouldnt mind having a chevy. I can tow circles around fords and my "throw away engine" has 290k on it. All stock with a chip, intake, and exhaust...Ive put a tranny in it and nothing to the motor.

My buddy has a construction business. He sold all the fords because they were dogs, they couldnt handle the goosenecks live his chevy's. So keep thinkin your all high and mighty with your big 'manly' trucks and talk **** on your mom and dads computer.

MikeKle
02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Around here most guys that have the mid 90s dodge with the Cummins have it only because it is the loudest diesel of the big 3, thats it, not for towing, or long life, but for the damn sound?!! And I cannot count the number of these trucks I see that they have put huge semi truck stacks on them, I could maybe understand a stack with a 3-4" dia. pipe, but these guys are going with the semi truck pipes?! Some of them also put rain caps on the stacks, when a small diesel does not have the power to even open those rain caps up all the way! I did see one 2004 dodge one ton that had a 4-6" lift kit, and the stacks, but they were ran on the outside of the bed, looked really good that way. I would love to buy a diesel, but I would use it for towing and hauling, not to impress my friends with the noise level and to put out huge clouds of black smoke every time I take off. These are the same guys that hang cow bells or those plastic balls from the back hitch!!

Lawn Enforcer
02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Around here most guys that have the mid 90s dodge with the Cummins have it only because it is the loudest diesel of the big 3, thats it, not for towing, or long life, but for the damn sound?!! And I cannot count the number of these trucks I see that they have put huge semi truck stacks on them, I could maybe understand a stack with a 3-4" dia. pipe, but these guys are going with the semi truck pipes?! Some of them also put rain caps on the stacks, when a small diesel does not have the power to even open those rain caps up all the way! I did see one 2004 dodge one ton that had a 4-6" lift kit, and the stacks, but they were ran on the outside of the bed, looked really good that way. I would love to buy a diesel, but I would use it for towing and hauling, not to impress my friends with the noise level and to put out huge clouds of black smoke every time I take off. These are the same guys that hang cow bells or those plastic balls from the back hitch!!

I'm buying it for towing and plowing, and that's what it has been doing faithfully its entire life. And the only people around here that have plastic balls hanging from their hitch drive Fords. I have yet to see a Dodge with them...

fiveoboy01
02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Be sure to keep it plugged in during cold weather. They do NOT start in the cold if not plugged in, and they're a ***** to get going. Speaking from firsthand experience.

WH401
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Be sure to keep it plugged in during cold weather. They do NOT start in the cold if not plugged in, and they're a ***** to get going. Speaking from firsthand experience.

The 5.9 is about the most reliably starting diesel engine when it comes to unplugged cold weather starts. The main reason is due to the fact that they use a grid heater to heat the incoming air inside the intake horn as opposed to a Ford or Chevy diesel engine of that same era which used glow plugs. The problem with glow plugs is they become fowled from combustion particles in the cylinder, they can have their usable life shortened by being over heated, and they only heat the air that's initially in the cylinder.

Grid heaters are able to flip on and off while the engine is running with no adverse effects because they'll only get as hot as their designed to get. While on the other hand, if you try to cycle glow plugs while the engine is running they can get over heated due to the fact of the combustion heat being added to the amount of heat the glow plugs are already producing. Not to mention glow plugs tend to have to be replaced a couple times over the life span of an engine. Grid heaters not so much though, rarely do grid heaters go bad. The most common issue why a grid heater might not be functioning correctly is because the intake air temperature sensor has failed and isn't allowing the ecm to realize how cold the air temp is, thus not allowing the grid heater to turn on.

woodchuck
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM

I have hade a powerstroke 2 cummins and 2 duramax and by far the 2 cummins were the best cold weather starters... my 1994 12 valve started everyday in the cold weather of wyoming until 1 morning when the thermometer read minus 22 degrees below 0 farenheit. so I plugged it in and literally 25 minutes later she fired right up. as for the 1991 first gen I never plugged it in ever and that truck only has 1 battery. as for the duramax the 2003 lb7 is by far the worst cold blooded pig I ever owned. and the 2004.5 lly motor was somewhat better. as for the powerstroke (1997 7.3)... she starts but there will be 1 hell of a smoke show for at least 10 mins. plugged in or not. like I said i have had them all and cummins takes the cake.. 1st hand experience....
good buy lawn enforcer, you keep that tranny in tact and you will see you made a good purchase. Besides take any other diesel pickup made in 1989 and that cummins will beat it hands down every catergory...:drinkup:

fiveoboy01
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
A grid heater will certainly improve cold starting, I can assure you the FL70s with 5.9s in them that I tried to get going in the cold back in 99-2001 were absolute whores to get started. They did not have grid heaters, certainly a factor.

In any case I think we can agree that any diesel should be plugged in for cold weather.

Cummins343
02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
The most info I have got from this thread is that GR is a F^c$(N idiot. All you ever talk bout is how stuck up fords a$$ you are and how intense the terrain is around you. Guess what bud, we dont give a flyin f***.

I like my cummins, but im not brand loyal. In reality I wouldnt mind having a chevy. I can tow circles around fords and my "throw away engine" has 290k on it. All stock with a chip, intake, and exhaust...Ive put a tranny in it and nothing to the motor.

My buddy has a construction business. He sold all the fords because they were dogs, they couldnt handle the goosenecks live his chevy's. So keep thinkin your all high and mighty with your big 'manly' trucks and talk **** on your mom and dads computer.YES!!!!!! FINALLY someone thinks the same way that i do!!!! Davis45 1....GR 0.

fiveoboy01
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
So you're proud that you think like a tebaccy chewin' redneck too?

TGM
02-15-2010, 11:57 AM
gravel rat is obviously one-sided.

first of all every diesel truck has some sort of problem that needs to be addressed.

second, cummins diesels do start best in the cold due to the grid heater. it's better. period. i'm not saying you can't get a 6.0, 6.6, 7.3, etc. to start in the winter, but reliably a grid heater is the only way to go. not needing oil pressure to pop off the injectors also makes starting easier.

third. dodge parts. is GR serious?? i have 3 dodge dealerships in the area i can get parts within a couple days. wtf?

fourth. allison trannies are better than anything on the market? false! in stock form, yeah, i'd say they're the best along with the changes on the 6.4 ford transmission. but an allison will slip if you put a programmer on a duramax. you need to at least upgrade the valve body and converter at that point anyways. a dodge transmission will hold more than an allison once modified.

fiveoboy01 - yeah, my buddies dad has an fl50 with a 5.9 p pump cummins. same problem... without the grid heater he can't get it to run. on a 12v, the timing will affect how it starts too.

fiveoboy01
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I didn't really read GR's posts. I was just stating that this fanboyism from anyone is stupid whichever direction it goes, they're all trucks and anyone who gets rabidly defensive over his/her chosen brand is an idiot. They all break and have problems.

Your posts seem rather levelheaded. I do agree with you about the grid heaters though. We had a fleet of Sterlings with Cat 3126s in them, one time in the winter one had a grid heater on one that didn't work due to a short circuit... and that thing would not start even though plugged in.... We had to tow it to the shop to thaw it out.

TGM
02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm more bias towards cummins since i've been into diesel performance for almost 12 years. But in all reality you should buy what you like...whatever is comfortable, lasts long, gets good fuel mileage, looks good etc. Some people are sooo brand loyal it's pretty ridiculous. their's is the best because they said so :hammerhead:

westcoh
02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Geez, typical Dodge guys, even the slightest hint that the cummins isn't the single greatest engine of all time and they get in an uproar.

Saying the allison will slip as soon as a programmer is on is false. . .it's generally accepted it'll hold 100hp over stock before you need to do anything to it. For the 99% of people who don't mod the engine an allison is the best transmission out there in a diesel pickup. I've seen hot-shot trucks that have never driven a mile without a trailer behind it last hundreds of thousands of miles on the stock allison with no issues whatsoever.

fiveoboy01
02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
In many years of working for a leasing company we had many, many Allison transmissions in medium and heavy duty trucks and NEVER, EVER had a problem with one. EVER.

They just work.

becpropertymaint.
02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Geez, typical Dodge guys, even the slightest hint that the cummins isn't the single greatest engine of all time and they get in an uproar.

Saying the allison will slip as soon as a programmer is on is false. . .it's generally accepted it'll hold 100hp over stock before you need to do anything to it. For the 99% of people who don't mod the engine an allison is the best transmission out there in a diesel pickup. I've seen hot-shot trucks that have never driven a mile without a trailer behind it last hundreds of thousands of miles on the stock allison with no issues whatsoever.

X2 with what this guy is saying

Junior M
02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
So you're proud that you think like a tebaccy chewin' redneck too?

I resemble that remark!

I didn't really read GR's posts. I was just stating that this fanboyism from anyone is stupid whichever direction it goes, they're all trucks and anyone who gets rabidly defensive over his/her chosen brand is an idiot. They all break and have problems.

Your posts seem rather levelheaded. I do agree with you about the grid heaters though. We had a fleet of Sterlings with Cat 3126s in them, one time in the winter one had a grid heater on one that didn't work due to a short circuit... and that thing would not start even though plugged in.... We had to tow it to the shop to thaw it out.

I love this post.. But I've gotten so tired of GRs crap it gets hard to not get defensive..

TGM
02-15-2010, 05:21 PM
any transmission under stock power will last a long time with proper maintenance.

i didn't say that the allison would immediately slip once power is added. any transmission will slip with too much power. i just get tired of everyone saying "oh, put an allison behind the cummins" like it wont slip. that just isn't true. when you add power & most importantly torque, without increased line pressure, you have greatly reduced the life of the transmission.

so is the allison a good transmission? YES. but is it god? hell no..

westcoh
02-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Ok, and is a 5.9 cummins a good engine? yes. But is it god? hell no.

TGM
02-15-2010, 05:47 PM
i never said it was. :confused: i'll gladly list off the common problems with the 5.9 cummins if you'd like

westcoh
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
And I never said the allison was god either. As much as you're tired of everyone saying the allison is invincible, I can say the exact same thing about people talking about the cummins as if it's the be all and end all of diesel engines.

Lawn Enforcer
02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
any transmission under stock power will last a long time with proper maintenance.

i didn't say that the allison would immediately slip once power is added. any transmission will slip with too much power. i just get tired of everyone saying "oh, put an allison behind the cummins" like it wont slip. that just isn't true. when you add power & most importantly torque, without increased line pressure, you have greatly reduced the life of the transmission.

A big reason an Allison/Cummins combo doesn't work is because it is nearly impossible to get a dealer to work on it. My uncle had a Dodge Ram 2500 Warrior package, but he couldn't get the Dodge dealer or the Chevy dealer to honor the warranty for a simple shifter problem because of the combo. It could work if it was engineered for the Cummins and the dealers would work on either one.

TXNSLighting
02-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Its nice to see people like this here.

TGM
02-16-2010, 12:46 AM
But in all reality you should buy what you like...whatever is comfortable, lasts long, gets good fuel mileage, looks good etc.

TXNS, I'm just saying it like it is whether you guys like it or not. I do like the cummins engines, but i'm not brand loyal by any means. a ford 6.0 is a good motor if you do the right upgrades. a duramax is a great engine too.

It is of my opinion that anyone should buy what they want.. whether it's a ford, gm, dodge, international, etc.

most of my original post was at gravel rat who's post was ridiculous.

Moto52
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

two guys I know with the allison tranny if your cruising down the highway in overdrive and stomp on it to pass someone it almost goes into limp mode everytime.. thats with a 100hp tune i believe. it is definately an over-rated tranny though..

Lawn Enforcer
05-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Well guys, I picked it up a couple days ago. I absolutely love it! So much power, so easy on the fuel. More updated pics to come!

Gravel Rat
05-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Well did you get a good deal on it ?

Vacation
05-07-2010, 05:50 AM
two guys I know with the allison tranny if your cruising down the highway in overdrive and stomp on it to pass someone it almost goes into limp mode everytime.. thats with a 100hp tune i believe. it is definately an over-rated tranny though..

Well first, that's what you heard, how valid could that be? Second, what are the pasts of their trannys? Third, over-rated, ya right, the newer (lmm+) dmax's can practically drive themselves thanks to the alli.
Posted via Mobile Device

Evan528
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM

My 03 Ram with the Cummins does just that as well. It is no race car..... torque yes.

Bibbee Lawn Care
05-11-2010, 03:03 AM
I also own an 89 Dodge With the 5.9 Cummins. It is the best truck I have ever owned and i've owned newer Powerstrokes and a Duramax. Never any problems with mine although I have upgraded my turbo, injectors, and turned it up.

Moto52
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Well first, that's what you heard, how valid could that be? Second, what are the pasts of their trannys? Third, over-rated, ya right, the newer (lmm+) dmax's can practically drive themselves thanks to the alli.
Posted via Mobile Device

Welll hmmmmmmm I know first hand my dad owns a duramax and his does it. you have to put it in tow haul mode if your going to mess around. and another friend of mine with an 08 duramax just blew his tranny with his truck chipped up...so are these trannys bullet proof?? hell no!

Vacation
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Every tranny can be blown with a tuner unless you build it up.
You have to stomp on it to pass someone? Tell me what vehicle besides a Bugatti or Koenigsegg or that alike where you wouldn't have to stomp it to get to a higher speed quickly to get around a vehicle going the same speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moto52
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Every tranny can be blown with a tuner unless you build it up.
You have to stomp on it to pass someone? Tell me what vehicle besides a Bugatti or Koenigsegg or that alike where you wouldn't have to stomp it to get to a higher speed quickly to get around a vehicle going the same speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe where I live me and all my friends are young at heart, I love smoking out cars as I pass them and playing around racing.. my truck has had a chip for the last 5 years and I still have the original tranny.... built ford tough!!

Vacation
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, you're probly running like a 40 horse tune.
I don't have a diesel, I've got the chevy 6.0, if I did have a diesel, I wouldn't smoke anyone out because I have company logos on my truck (dot #'s & city where I'm located are required on comm vehicles over 10,000 in my state) and that would make my company look terribly unprofessional.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moto52
05-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah, you're probly running like a 40 horse tune.
I don't have a diesel, I've got the chevy 6.0, if I did have a diesel, I wouldn't smoke anyone out because I have company logos on my truck (dot #'s & city where I'm located are required on comm vehicles over 10,000 in my state) and that would make my company look terribly unprofessional.
Posted via Mobile Device

for the last 4 years I have been running a 80hp Diablo chip and last year a bought a new chip with 60 tow 80 econ and 140. I don't have my company logo on my truck so I don't really care about looking unprofessional.

westcoh
05-12-2010, 01:42 AM

This statement was so ignorant I just chose to ignore it the first time, but since it's been brought up again. First of all the 2 guys you know, how do you tell it "almost goes into limp mode everytime"?? If the transmission starts slipping it'll be in limp mode, and the computers will sense it slipping and actually put it into limp mode long before the driver actually feels it. Please explain that one to me.

Second, do you really think your just gonna throw an extra 100hp at a transmission and think it's gonna live a long and happy life?? You gotta pay to play.

For what it's worth I run my truck with a 90hp tune and a few other upgrades and my allison doesn't "almost go into limp mode every-time". . .Guess I got a good one :rolleyes:

Bibbee Lawn Care
05-12-2010, 03:23 AM
for the last 4 years I have been running a 80hp Diablo chip and last year a bought a new chip with 60 tow 80 econ and 140. I don't have my company logo on my truck so I don't really care about looking unprofessional.

I have my logos on my trailer and I also love to blow the doors off mustangs and throw coal at the same time.

Moto52
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
This statement was so ignorant I just chose to ignore it the first time, but since it's been brought up again. First of all the 2 guys you know, how do you tell it "almost goes into limp mode everytime"?? If the transmission starts slipping it'll be in limp mode, and the computers will sense it slipping and actually put it into limp mode long before the driver actually feels it. Please explain that one to me.

Second, do you really think your just gonna throw an extra 100hp at a transmission and think it's gonna live a long and happy life?? You gotta pay to play.

For what it's worth I run my truck with a 90hp tune and a few other upgrades and my allison doesn't "almost go into limp mode every-time". . .Guess I got a good one :rolleyes:

I mean almost goes into limp mode every time as in if you stomp on it ten times to pass someone it will go into limp mode about 5 times, if your always driving around in tow haul mode thats probably why yours doesn't do it...

Gravel Rat
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
So you would rather burn up your transmission if it didn't go into limp mode.

GM designed the transmission to be behind a stock hp engine and operated under the weight limit they set for it start exceeding the input torque of the transmission something is going to break.

Moto52
05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
So you would rather burn up your transmission if it didn't go into limp mode.

GM designed the transmission to be behind a stock hp engine and operated under the weight limit they set for it start exceeding the input torque of the transmission something is going to break.

Thats why when you chip your truck you put in gauges so you don't burn up your tranny or your motor/turbo. I know lots of guys with diesel trucks with major hp that are daily drivers. just cause you chip a truck doesn't mean you break everything.... I'm just sick of reading all these GM lovers thinking the duramax and allison is the best thing around....

Gravel Rat
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
The Allison in the GM pickups just carry the Allison name but they don't live up to the Allison reputation or quality. I was told the transmission was built by GM with help from Allison.

Cummins343
05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
The Allison in the GM pickups just carry the Allison name but they don't live up to the Allison reputation or quality. I was told the transmission was built by GM with help from Allison.Who told you that? Wikipedia?

Gravel Rat
05-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Who told you that? Wikipedia?

Mechanics that work on Allison transmissions told me about the ones used in the GM trucks. Designed and only used in GMC/Chevy light duty trucks.

clydebusa
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Thats why when you chip your truck you put in gauges so you don't burn up your tranny or your motor/turbo. I know lots of guys with diesel trucks with major hp that are daily drivers. just cause you chip a truck doesn't mean you break everything.... I'm just sick of reading all these GM lovers thinking the duramax and allison is the best thing around....

To me I could careless if I am driving a Ford or Chevy. I have 2008 ford 250 psd. and a 2009 durmax 250 . And point blank the two trucks are stock and the 2009 durmax will outpull the PSD. I have hooked up the same equipment at 11k pound trailer and pulled the same hill out of Tulsa and the durmax pulled 10mph faster. For the people in the Tulsa area it is going from I 44 to south 75. you enter on a sweeping on ramp at 30mph and go into a pull up the hill.
So to me the proof is in the pudding. I do hope I can afford to buy the 2011 new Ford and add it to the equation. And the final note. ford 13 to 15mpg. Durmax 15 to 17. This is running empty.

Moto52
05-13-2010, 10:25 PM
To me I could careless if I am driving a Ford or Chevy. I have 2008 ford 250 psd. and a 2009 durmax 250 . And point blank the two trucks are stock and the 2009 durmax will outpull the PSD. I have hooked up the same equipment at 11k pound trailer and pulled the same hill out of Tulsa and the durmax pulled 10mph faster. For the people in the Tulsa area it is going from I 44 to south 75. you enter on a sweeping on ramp at 30mph and go into a pull up the hill.
So to me the proof is in the pudding. I do hope I can afford to buy the 2011 new Ford and add it to the equation. And the final note. ford 13 to 15mpg. Durmax 15 to 17. This is running empty.

I didnt say buy a ford cause there faster, i'm just saying that chevy is not the most dependable longest lasting work truck out there.

clydebusa
05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I didnt say buy a ford cause there faster, i'm just saying that chevy is not the most dependable longest lasting work truck out there.

Funny you said the commercial that Ford has spent millions on to make people believe that. I bought the durmax, because of the post on this page and others about the problems the powerstroke has been having. And with the allison tranny I believe the gm has moved ahead of Ford. But we will see what the 2011 fords will do. They sound impressive.

Moto52
05-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Funny you said the commercial that Ford has spent millions on to make people believe that. I bought the durmax, because of the post on this page and others about the problems the powerstroke has been having. And with the allison tranny I believe the gm has moved ahead of Ford. But we will see what the 2011 fords will do. They sound impressive.

My dad and brother and most of my friends even are chevy guys and all drive chevys and just even between my dad and brother is crazy how many major problems they have had with there trucks. ford totally dropped the ball with the 6.0 and even the 6.4 but i'll keep my 2002 7.3 until the new 6.7 is a proven motor.

Moto52
05-13-2010, 11:01 PM

I don't know what commercial your talking about, I live in canada i don't think we get the same commercials as you guys do...

clydebusa
05-13-2010, 11:04 PM
My dad and brother and most of my friends even are chevy guys and all drive chevys and just even between my dad and brother is crazy how many major problems they have had with there trucks. ford totally dropped the ball with the 6.0 and even the 6.4 but i'll keep my 2002 7.3 until the new 6.7 is a proven motor.

Yelp I have a 7.3 94 f450 and it is a tank.

Moto52
05-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I have worked in the construction industy (earth moving) for the past 4 years and the only trucks that last that have 50,000 miles on them that have never seen pavement are fords, wheel bearings, suspension parts, brakes front end, etc etc will outast chevy or dodge. thats why the company i use to work for had a fleet of over a 100 brand new f350's with gas motors.

clydebusa
05-13-2010, 11:33 PM
I will keep that in mind if I just driving around a rock quarry all day.

Gravel Rat
05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
GM trucks fall apart fast the IFS A arm suspension is only designed for highway use.

If you have a tough job to do buy a Ford.

westcoh
05-14-2010, 02:26 AM
I mean almost goes into limp mode every time as in if you stomp on it ten times to pass someone it will go into limp mode about 5 times, if your always driving around in tow haul mode thats probably why yours doesn't do it...

If the transmission has already been limped 5 times, what did you think was gonna happen when you start driving it like a maniac? After you limp it the first time it's only gonna get progressively worse.

I never drive around in tow/haul mode unless I'm actually towing, so there goes that theory?

But I guess you are the expert on Allison transmissions seeing as how you drive a ford, and I'm assuming have never owned a vehicle with one? I also love how you brag about ford being the best, most long-lasting truck yet you own a 2002 because everything fords put out since the 7.3 has been junk.

I've owned chevys and I've owned fords and they all break down at some point.

Moto52
05-14-2010, 08:55 AM
If the transmission has already been limped 5 times, what did you think was gonna happen when you start driving it like a maniac? After you limp it the first time it's only gonna get progressively worse.

I never drive around in tow/haul mode unless I'm actually towing, so there goes that theory?

But I guess you are the expert on Allison transmissions seeing as how you drive a ford, and I'm assuming have never owned a vehicle with one? I also love how you brag about ford being the best, most long-lasting truck yet you own a 2002 because everything fords put out since the 7.3 has been junk.

I've owned chevys and I've owned fords and they all break down at some point.

I didn't make up that theory on putting it in tow haul mode, the main diesel race shop by me told my dad to do that if he was going to be playing around since he was the one that put the chip in his truck.

I'm not bragging about ford being the best i totally agree ford has some junk motors in the truck for diesels. but it's everything else around the truck that will outlast a chevy any day..

Moto52
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I will keep that in mind if I just driving around a rock quarry all day.

well it will outlast it off road so its going to outlast it on road too...

clydebusa
07-06-2010, 07:29 PM
well it will outlast it off road so its going to outlast it on road too...

Man I had to take 30 minutes to find this thread. As mentioned I bought a F250 and a GM250 a couple of years ago. To me they were close in all respects. The Durmax outpulled the powerstroker, but who cares. Well my wife and I go on vacation and after 11 days of setting around fired the ford up. Sounded a little strange. Drove down to the dealer ,,(has 34 thousand on it). The motor has gone, (" We will give you all your money back -2k towards a new truck") Nah after reading all the junk on these powerstrokes, just give me my money! So maybe they need to be offroad so they don't get over 30mph:walking:

ZTR_Diesel
07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Wow - 14 pages of entertainment!

Guess "brand loyalty" is good for something.

Who honestly cares anyway...in the end, it's a truck (read: a tool) and as long as the job gets done, what does it matter what brand name it has on the tailgate?

Lawn Enforcer
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Well since this is my thread, I have now owned the truck for a few months. I love it! Zero issues, 18mpg, and pulls like a champ. Couldn't have asked for a better work truck.