PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Yaupon frost damaged

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Down south we had about 2 weeks of colder than normal weather. I noticed some of the dwarf yaupons turning brown in spots, some of them completely brown. Should I go ahead and cut out the damaged branches, trim the whole plant back, or wait?

Think Green
02-02-2010, 10:08 AM
New2,
I don't know how much of the Arctic weather you guys will experience down there in Georgia, but I would wait until the threat ceases. All of my Buxus, Japonica's,Illex species have immense cold damage. Some are in spots and some are severely covered.
They look unsightly to the landscape but the customer has to realize the temperature swath reached further down south than before. We usually plummit in temperature's here but not any lower than 20-30 degrees F. We had single digit and below temps for 2 weeks and then this icy/snowy storm. We are still in the 20's-30's right now and the stems are coated with a light layer of ice. Thank goodness the air temps are at 80% humidity or things could be worse.
We went a week ago and purchased all the Grower's Special Fertilizer, Dolomitic Lime and Ironate we could find. When the ground thaws and the temps recover in the 50's sometime in March, we will premix these blends and treat each plant. When the threat of freeze and frost is over, after fertilizing them, we will trim off the dead material before it has a chance to naturally fall off at the regrowth stage. We want to feed the plant before we injure them any more at trimming.
If your temperature's are heating up and new growth is starting, then lightly skim over the plants to remove the dead foliage. Nature will remove it for you with new growth.
Don't get to quick with pruning and sending out growth hormones when it is not time. More harm will happen to the plants. Remember, I am not in a zone where the temps are steady all season. We have 7-8 months of ample time for trimming, then 4 months of cool temps. What is right for us may not be right for you.

Good Luck!!

4b landscape
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
dont go out and trim and prune right yet..... yaupons will turn brown and drop most if not all leaves and then they leaf out!! ive seen it many times when the temps get real cold or when we have a late freeze after the spring flush is on!! they look dead but they will leaf out completly!! (in most cases) dwarf yaupons are tough....i would wait till temps warm up!!