PDA

View Full Version : Edging Tips

KNOWHOWELTD
06-02-2002, 02:58 PM
:angel: who has some hints for me on speeding up the process of installing plastic or brick edging, fabric, and finally woodchips or gravel to a flower bed type area...

we have done quite a few of these type of jobs, but we havent perfected the most efficient way...am i missing some tools, or what dont i know.

issues of special concern:
-installing edging around a tree (root interactions)
-installing a patch along the side of a walk or drive
-cypress or died mulch?
-mulch or chips?
-bidding these type of jobs

mdb landscaping
06-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Well, for the mulch installations, i would eliminate the use of the plastic before you put the mulch down. In my opinion its a big waste of time. The weeds will eventually grow through and you will just spend more time ripping it out next year. As far as bidding, I charge by the yard installed. After a number of mulch jobs, you will get the feel of how much mulch you will need. Some people will measure, but i and many others have discussed this before, that over time, you can just eye it up and predict the amount of mulch you will use.

KNOWHOWELTD
06-02-2002, 06:07 PM
so what your saying, is in mulch jobs, dont use plastic or weedender fabric? yeah, i always seem to estimate a bit too much mulch, but we just keep it around here, and use it on assorted small applications, where we can just throw it in the traillor or a barrel and go...

mdb landscaping
06-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Yep, thats what im saying. Around here, hardly any of the LCO's use the fabric because it deteriorates too much. The only time you will want to use plastic, would be in a rock bed installation. We had a thread a few weeks ago about weed fabrics, and the consensus of most people on the site said they didnt use them either cause they were too much of a hassle. a good 3 inch mulch application will reduce the weeds just as well.

KNOWHOWELTD
06-02-2002, 07:05 PM
hmm interesting, i will check out that thread