PDA

View Full Version : Catchy Statement and Discount

Slcareco
02-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm in the process of developing a postcard size flyer and need some ideas or direction to go with a catchy statement and along with it a fair discount that doesn't give the wrong impression.

What I have so far:

Its time to save money this year on your landscaping without the sacrifice of quality.

Increase the value of your home investment while saving money with us.

Add value to your investment through quality horticulture practices that suit your budget.

Go green for the spring without the major expenses.

Homeowners save an average of 33% each year with us, are you ready to start saving?

As far as offers I want it to relate to the statement somewhat so I haven't thought about that yet.

CRITIQUE!

prox445
02-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Last year was my first year in biz. I put "call for a free service and I will include a quote"
Out of 1000 door hangers I had 200 calls and almost the same amount in regular services. Before I hung the ads I had 2 accounts in the bag. This is what made my biz.
In my limited expirence on this site I have found you will not find much help from people as how to start or expand your biz. I think they are worried you will take clients from them. I look at it as there is enough to go around. No matter who you are and what you do you will never get. Hope this helps and best of luck.

pkra12
02-03-2010, 12:23 AM
poorly written and good luck making money if u really are saving them 33%, let me guess you are probably 15 years old with 19 years experience like half the other idiots in here

echeandia
02-03-2010, 12:25 AM
"call for a free service and I will include a quote"

What does that mean?

FourTrees
02-03-2010, 12:54 AM
"call for a free service and I will include a quote"

Brilliant! Mind if I borrow this?

What does that mean?

It means he found a way to grab attention and get people calling.

Giving away service is not a bad way to gain a customer.

prox445
02-03-2010, 01:41 AM
I can tell I will not make any friends here. I have found that many of you have an attitude problem. Let me fill you in. Your not God's gift to the Landscape world. All you are, is a small fish in a saturated market. As a matter of fact I'm not 15. I have 15 years in the biz world. I don't care what you think, I sold my dividends in a biz that grossed over 3 million 2 years ago. This is because my Dad and I didn't see eye to eye. Well now that I think about it he acts just like you. I do this to service a few of my plowing contracts. I was going stir crazy in the summer. I'm sure you know how it is. You can only take your 36' Skater to FLA so many times. Yea, I only have 3 crews going right now but I don't care. Oh, take a look at the for sale forum. Look at the truck I am selling. That was bought just to plow. I have no room for it as I bought 4 2010 f350's. Keep your eyes open. There will be 2 more posted by the end of the winter. So keep you smart ass coments to yourself. Do you go through 100 skids of bag salt and 100 tons of bulk. Well I do. Right now I have 84 trucks out, 8 liquid trucks, 10 rock trucks, 19sidewalk crews, 12skidsteers, 5 loaders and 15 ATV's. Do your research. I did. I see you have a biz a bit like mine. Oh, I'm sure it's much smaller. Now when you have more than 1-5 year in biz you can contact me, untill then shut your mouth. I'm not trying to say I don't have to do this. I still have a house payment and a family to support and I have payment like everyone else. I could downsize and live of of investments but I like my lifestyle. I don't understand why people on this site will not help the small guy. I think you should wish him the best and support them all the way. As a matter of fact I'm done with the lawn service after this year. I like to have the summer off.

prox445
02-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Four Trees, Thanks.
You can use this all day long. Please let me know how you fair.

prox445
02-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Oh, PKRA12,
Don't hate on the young crowd. They have a bright future ahead of them. Most are open and honest and like to give and get feedback. I'd like to hear your story on how you started and what it took to become a profitable biz. And I forgot got to tell you, I'm 30 years old.

pkra12
02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
hey prox wasnt referring to you but since you asked free services are a bad idea. and it sounds like you walked into free money from daddy and got to go big right out of the gate but anyway...i have no problem with young guys and humble beginnings i have problems with them driving down prices, all over town fliers like that will be passed out and most of the kids wont follow through so we'll end up taking over the yards in july or august and will have already missed landscaping and the heavy growing season and have to talk the customer back up to a reasonable price

sehitchman
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm in the process of developing a postcard size flyer and need some ideas or direction to go with a catchy statement and along with it a fair discount that doesn't give the wrong impression.

What I have so far:

Its time to save money this year on your landscaping without the sacrifice of quality.

Add value to your investment through quality horticulture practices that suit your budget.

Homeowners save an average of 33% each year with us, are you ready to start saving?

As far as offers I want it to relate to the statement somewhat so I haven't thought about that yet.

CRITIQUE!

Wow, I almost did not want to comment, but...
I like the "Go Green for Spring"
then something about savings. "Our customers save as much as 30% with an annual contract" "Call for a free quote"

I'd suggest keep it simple, less wordy, and unless you are promoting "green" horticulture, be careful how you word that. Keep in mind it is a post card, people will look for about two seconds before throwing it in the can. So grab their attention and go.
"Good success to you!"

zima
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
The only thing i give Free is the Estimate(i collect all info of the landscape and lawn services that they need for 10 months include trimming and clean ups divide by 10 and they have the monthly cost of service,now if they refer a new customer sure i find to be easier for me to give free a upgrade on their landscape or flower bed since i can get materials at a contractor price so all i do is improve the property appeal of that customer, and sell my services to the rest. word of mouth is my best advertise technique.

This is what i get in return.

I like the way you did that job to Mr. White
How much it cost me to do something like that
Can you give me an estimate

Good look whit your Bus. We all have to start diferent ways, Make sure you have a Bus.Plan.

ed2hess
02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
If you are going to save them money then simply put your price on the post cards. I see a lot of them in our area. Funny but generally many of
the prices are higher than our prices and they think they are low.

prox445
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, I have never walked into money. I am the reason for the biz growing. It was an $800,000 biz before I bought in. Anyways, I was in a bad mood yesterday and I go rubbed the wrong way. I know my words were strong and direct but I really didn't mean to piss anyone off. I am a very humble person and I never try to show off. Please take this apology!*trucewhiteflag*

Slcareco
02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
anywayyyy... this wasn't my intention when I created this thread I was more hoping for a critique on the statements I created and a direction you have gone or heard that works.

Like should I make a statement about being green, enhancing your investment, saving money yada yada. Im not 15 im 23 with a degree and over 10 years experience so thanks.

pkra12
02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Slcareco my bad i was also not i the best mood and had gotten done reading posts where a landscape owner didnt have a drivers license to get to accounts because he was 15 lol i mean give me a break and another owner who claimed 8 years exp only later to find out he was 19 and started at age 11. just tired of getting under cut by these kind of operations than your 33% comment topped it off lol. no hard feelings just try to stay competitive price wise bc its better for everyone including you. the only time i give away services is at christmas to my GOOD customers, they get a card with a gift certificate equal to the price of one of their cuts. business will come dont give it away

Slcareco
02-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Its all good man lol well the 33% was just a random number I wasnt sure if the statement was a good client catcher or a way to ward them off. Yeah Im looking to make top dollar just through my knowledge and experience ripping people off (other landscapers) would only be ripping myself off in the long run. I like your christmas idea see I thought of the cards idea but not the gift card good touch.

FourTrees
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
I would avoid the increase value of home/ investment

1. Unless you actually install landscape/pool and such you do not increase value. You may improve curb appeal but that is it.

2. Also it sounds as if you are saying that the current looks crappy and they need to improve. Although this may very well be true it is not really the best way to sell yourself.

Just something to think about.

Also are you using electric mowers because if not, what are you offering them to help them be "green".

Not picking just offering some thoughts.

Slcareco
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Well Im a design/install/maintain company. All points are good appreciate the input as far as going green several ways, in my designs incorporating indigenous plants, mulching clippings reducing the use of fertilizer, mowing high shading weeds reducing the use of herbicides, installing plants that invite natural insect killers (dragon flys, birds, etc)

What do you think of "go green this season with us and save! or go green this season without the major expenses or expense

FourTrees
02-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Maybe "Go Green & Save" to wordy takes away from your catchphrase. You can say longer catchy phrases you just want to avoid unnecessary words such as "with us" True you do want them to use your services, but if they are already reading your ad then that can be assumed.

clean_cut
02-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I like the saving money and the 33% idea, but not the going green, unless your're gonna mow with electric (like someone said) or unless your installs are going to improve the environment. I also like the adding value to your investment, maybe try...

"Add value and beauty to your home"

"Add beauty and value to your home while saving money"

You had some good ideas, just need to reword some of it, to make it shorter and easier to read.

glenvironmental
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
hey prox 445. I have a few questions, can you contact me? midwesternlandscape@bex.net

thanks

Slcareco
02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
all good points, going green seems to be out eh? I guess keep that more with my design-install portion of advertising. Im trying to be general with this flyer. Guess I should just talk about saving money and landscaping.....

Slcareco
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Reliable, certified, educated, and guaranteed to save you money
Reliable, certified, degreed, with a priceless guarantee.
Reliable, certified, degreed,
Start this season off right and save!
Start the season off right this year and save!
Reliable
, certified, and degreed with a guarantee to exceed your expectations.

FourTrees
02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Again I think you are making your phrase too long. Unless you state requires a degree to do what you do then no one cares. In fact they may think you are over priced cuzz of that expensive education.

Think Simple. In fact think of a unique deal that not everyone else and their illegal friend are offering. Don't worry about a catchy phrase, and just offer them something to make them call you.

Everyone is promising savings, be different and show them savings. If you really want a catchy marketing slogan spend a few dollars and have some design an ad campaign for you. Just like you are in this industry there are experts out there in the marketing industry.

A rule to marketing is to get client to call you not tell them all your experience, qualifications, and everything else. Simple sells.

Contrary to all that people spout on about here

- Call for a FREE MOWING

Will get more call backs than.

- Quality Service
- Professional
- Yadda Yadda Yadda all the other stuff those guys sat when telling you that giving away service is the worst idea ever.

Try it See How Many Calls you get.
I've done it before and it worked, I still like how Prox said it and am working on my own version of what the said.

Slcareco
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Well I want a simple statement that somes who I am up and next to it will be the offer im willing to give away. Whether its a % off any service with a signed annual agreement, $ off when you mention this flyer or refer a friend, first free mowing with a signed agreement.

How bout this right from geico " Excellent service at an incredible value"

John Deere Mann
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
WE were all here at one time. So why are we doing this to he younger people when we werein there shoes at one time.

FourTrees
02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
How bout this right from geico " Excellent service at an incredible value" But he is there saying it with a cool accent.

Really any of the ones mentioned would work. Maybe:

"Excellent Service! Incredible Value!"

Really just grab one that sounds good and run with it. Come up with that irresistible offer and get your flier out there.

They will remember you for: FREE MOWING w/ service agreement.
Before they remember your flier for: Excellent service at an incredible value

In the long run after they are you customer they will remember you for great service and good prices and that is what they will tell friends and others. BUT it is getting them to call you now that counts and the offer not the saying that will get them on the phone.

Give them a reason to call with something such as:

"Why labor before you enjoy your yard. Let us do the the work so you can just enjoy it."

Slcareco
02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
deff true, I was thinking along the lines of 25% OFF any service with an annual signed agreement. Because if I give a free mowing that can be damaging in the begining, Ill get calls from acre lots or people who love to cut there lawn once a year and im the lucky one to give them the free cut thats 1 foot high lol

Im going with this: Start this landscaping season
off right, with EXCEPTIONAL
service at an INCREDIBLE
VALUE!

tattooedturf
02-07-2010, 12:09 PM
poorly written and good luck making money if u really are saving them 33%, let me guess you are probably 15 years old with 19 years experience like half the other idiots in here

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

John Deere Mann
02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm trying something new this year. I had a card made up. ( business size card)
Its Called a Customer Care Card it says: 15% off 1 lawn service with a new referral 2 cut minimum on the front. On the back it say;s we love referrals with 2 lines to put information on. I'll give these to my customers so if they hear or know someone looking for lawn mowing service. They will give them this card they will save money and ill get a new customer.

KingImprovements
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I am not sure where you got the statistic that you can save homeowners 33% over the competition. But i do know that 89% of Statistics are made up on the spot 43% of the time. haha

Slcareco
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I just made it up. I think Im going with this....

"For the entire season recieve XX% OFF on all landscape maintenance services with an annual agreement"

COMMENTS???????????

Darryl G
02-18-2010, 06:25 PM

What I have so far:

CRITIQUE!

Sell yourself as cheap and you get cheap customers. Sell yourself as good and you get good customers.

lalorslawncare
02-19-2010, 12:52 PM
prox 445 I have to agree with you also giving away one free service has gotten me in the door many times. I am in the same county as yourself. Many times in the spring when I get calls for an estimate I take my equipment with and if there is time I mow the property for free. The potential client then sees what he or she will be getting for the money they spend. Many times these smaller properties the time spent amounts to twenty minutes. would you donate twenty minutes to land a yearly contract. I will every time.

Manscape
02-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd just hope that word doesn't get around that there's a landscaping biz around who gives a free cut....then you'll have everyone who doesn't feel like cutting their lawn one week calling you for an estimate. You cut it, and then they're like "ok thank you, nevermind."

I totally agree with what you are saying though, and I have a referral program where if an existing customer lands me a contract, I give them 1 or 2 free cuts. The money you lose from the free cut is quickly made up +.

HBFOXJr
02-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Save 30% How about explaining that to us. You getting 305 off discount labor, equipment, materials, advertising, insurance??? Let me tell you, once you go cheap your customers will always want cheap. You devalue your self and the industry when you do that and encourage the next new guy to cut 30%. It never works.

Slcareco
02-19-2010, 10:44 PM
whats with everyone and selling themselves cheap and de valuing. All Im doing is giving a discount to clients I advertise to. Gets my foot in the door and makes someone looking for a professional happy with a good price, thats all. I price according to what the industry can take and what im worth, no less no more!

Slcareco
02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Also... the cheap customers are the ones who dont want agreements and to pay tax! I wont do work for these people hence why my deal is only valuable with an annual agreement.

kylecal91
02-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I am having a flyer made up this year for lawn care and my incentive is 1/2 off your 2nd lawn cut what you guys think? Not enough or good? (I also have a referral bonus on the flyer) I don't want to be too cheap so I get cheap customers and other guys look down at me for being so cheap...

Slcareco
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM
I personally think its a "cheap" deal. What about someone who wants there beds done not the lawn what deal do they get?

Darryl G
02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I do adds in local papers, not fliers. The closest I come to offering a "deal" is that I advertise myself as being reasonable...I am...I never claim my prices are, lol. Deals and discounts get you cheap customers. Emphasize your dedication to service and your expertise in your field and you'll get the truly valuable customers.

mike174
02-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Maybe "Go Green & Save" to wordy takes away from your catchphrase. You can say longer catchy phrases you just want to avoid unnecessary words such as "with us" True you do want them to use your services, but if they are already reading your ad then that can be assumed.

I like the way "Go Green & Save" sounds, but to play devils advocate, why not use "going green" as a way to INCREASE your prices & differentiate yourself. Everyone keeps lowering prices to gain business, use "green" (if you can really provide green services) as a niche to getting higher prices. Usually the soccer mom in a Volvo wouldn't mind paying a little more if she knew her kids could play in the yard safely without exposure to herbicides (cutting higher to crowd out weeds - example from earlier). We just need to sell "green" the right way. We need to turn this downward pricing movement around or no one will have any "green" in their pockets.

rduty
02-21-2010, 01:42 AM
wow, thats a good idea...

rduty
02-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Cool deal....

Slcareco
02-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah I plan to stress that more in my design/installs as well as my maintenance practices.

HBFOXJr
02-21-2010, 05:16 PM
There are harsh comments here at times, but in the majority of cases comments are made about price cutters only if their business model is completely all about prices xx% lower all the time for every thing. Chopping prices and always being under every one is a recipe for disaster.

Check out the retail world some time. Compare the cost of a few identical items at WalMart, Target or any other 2 retailers and you will find that no one is 20-50% below on the everyday pricing of item. This excludes sales and loss leaders.

So you can discount a service as a 1 time special, but you can't do it every day as a way of doing business. You must let them know the regular price so they see the value and you must charge that regular price except when you are doing a promotion. Never lie about the regular price like retailers do about the manuafcturers suggested retail price.

Slcareco
02-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Thank you! Someone who sees the brighter picture. Everyone likes to save a little money when they can and what better time to save then the begining of the season.

I plan to have on the agree the reg price then after sub total, tax, and spot that shows there total savings from the promo. So they know what they would be paying after the promotion

HBFOXJr
02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
That's what is important. You have no value to show if there is not a higher everyday price. There is nothing special, no need to buy now with out a higher, every day price.

Darryl G
02-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry but if 20 bucks means that much to a potential customer, you can have them! A customer who makes a decision based on something like 50 percent off a mow or something isn't one I want. Bargains bring out bargain hunters and bargain hunters are just not the kind of customers I want.

Slcareco
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
dude everyone wants to save money even if its a little bit its the way the world works especially with the economy the way it is. Wouldnt you rather the iphone for $100 with a contract as appose to buying just the iphone for $600?

HBFOXJr
02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry but if 20 bucks means that much to a potential customer, you can have them! A customer who makes a decision based on something like 50 percent off a mow or something isn't one I want. Bargains bring out bargain hunters and bargain hunters are just not the kind of customers I want.

It's not necessarily about a cheap customer and $20. It's about capturing a potential customers eye at the right time. Mr DIY wants a service. One company hangs a flier with a menu of services. Another sends an attractive post card with a menu, benefits of buying from them and a $20 offer. Who gets called and who makes the sale.

Not every prospect is merely being cheap. It's about an introductory offer from some one we may not be familiar with at a time we have a need. So we choose to sample.

My fiancee and I like happy hrs with deals. One of our favorite places has 1/2 price drinks, sushi and gourmet pizza, 5-7pm. Does it mean we don't go out for drinks or dinner unless there is a deal? No. We go there for dinner with no deal. We like oysters on the 1/2 shell. A favorite oyster bar has them all the time, menu price, $7.95/doz and they are primo. We don't buy them at places that are $12 or more per doz and we only sometimes go some place where happy hr may have them for $5/doz if it is convenient for us to be in the area.

Don't think your customers make buying decisions different than yourself in all cases.

Slcareco
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Well put man, its a foot in the door in our industry.

Slcareco
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
A cheap customer wont be calling a landscaper in the first place lmao helloooo its a service business, in business to provide service for people who are WILLING to pay someone else to do what they prolly could do themself. (In some cases)

Darryl G
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Ok, well I like the customers to whom "when" and "how" is more important than how much and BTW I wouldn't buy an I Phone and I don't drink, lol. I've never offered any sort of discount or coupon and don't plan on it.

What gets me is these guys who put out all of these flyers and then when a customer calls they get an answering machine and they're lucky if anybody even calls them back. I find that just answering the phone and promptly coming out for an estimate is often all it takes to get a job.

HBFOXJr
02-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Ok, well I like the customers to whom "when" and "how" is more important than how much and BTW I wouldn't buy an I Phone and I don't drink, lol. I've never offered any sort of discount or coupon and don't plan on it.

What gets me is these guys who put out all of these flyers and then when a customer calls they get an answering machine and they're lucky if anybody even calls them back. I find that just answering the phone and promptly coming out for an estimate is often all it takes to get a job.

I've found different areas of your business area as well as the nation, your own seasons and services often influence how people buy. If it's lawn fert, competent and quick works for me. If it's irrigation service competent and answering the phone or calling back quick with the kind of answers the prospect is looking for works. Irrigation installs, it's all about low price. Answering the phone, showing up on time, being the first guy there to set the standards or the last esti they get and trying to seal the deal doesn't work.

Sadly, irrigation is often perceived as a commodity tied to the manufacturer's name such as Hunter or RainBird. Who designs, installs, warranties and services is of little consequence until the wet or dry spots rear their ugly heads or the contractor is backed up way too long for service.

Then I have the problem of people not finding me for an irrigation esti, yet they find me when they aren't happy. Hmmm. Oh well, the money is in the service they way folks in our area buy.

digable
02-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I think we are going to try and get people to sign a yearly contract by offering first cut and last cut free, on a maintained yard (ie. no foot tall grass) with the signing of said contract. I figure by doing first and last, you can get them interested and keep them for the year till they get the last one. We thought about doing first month, last month free, but we don't want to give away too much $. This is an effort to get a paycheck in the winter months when there isn't as much grass to cut. No snow here on the gulf coast.

Darryl G
02-23-2010, 09:43 PM
HBFOX - That makes perfect sense.

dibagle. - Just wanted to suggest that you call it a budget plan if you're so inclined. That's what oil companies and stuff call them. Some people do like having equal monthly payments. I know that most LCOs who do annual contracts have their customers pay in advance too.

rduty
03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Last year was my first year in biz. I put "call for a free service and I will include a quote"
Out of 1000 door hangers I had 200 calls and almost the same amount in regular services. Before I hung the ads I had 2 accounts in the bag. This is what made my biz.
In my limited expirence on this site I have found you will not find much help from people as how to start or expand your biz. I think they are worried you will take clients from them. I look at it as there is enough to go around. No matter who you are and what you do you will never get. Hope this helps and best of luck.

GOOD IDEA!!! Give a little to gain a lot....

ryde307
03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
We dont offer discounts and it is what works for us. I am not saying you shouldnt.
When you do though here are some things I learned. Never give the first free. Offer a free mowing for signing with you or whatever it is but make it the first mowing of the second month or something around that time. Dont make it the first or last. This gets people to stick with you for a bit and it is easily absorbed into you business as its good cashflow time anyways.

As for people freaking out about your 33% off. Who cares You probably dont otherwise like other said you would be broke. But thats not the point you can say that whether you do or not. Its a hook to get people to call. I promise every add campaign you see around has skewed statistics. So even if you don't save them 33% who cares say you do.

Slcareco
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
We dont offer discounts and it is what works for us. I am not saying you shouldnt.
When you do though here are some things I learned. Never give the first free. Offer a free mowing for signing with you or whatever it is but make it the first mowing of the second month or something around that time. Dont make it the first or last. This gets people to stick with you for a bit and it is easily absorbed into you business as its good cashflow time anyways.

As for people freaking out about your 33% off. Who cares You probably dont otherwise like other said you would be broke. But thats not the point you can say that whether you do or not. Its a hook to get people to call. I promise every add campaign you see around has skewed statistics. So even if you don't save them 33% who cares say you do.

Well I sent out 450 postcards offering 10% off every maintenance service I offer with an annual agreement. I sent it out thursday already got my first estimate lined up for monday.

GrassISgreenest
03-14-2010, 04:57 AM
i offer free first cuts as well if they sign a weekly cut agreement. i found that the wealthy customers love this ****. the richer they are.....the cheaper they are. well sometimes. but around here it rings true.