PDA

View Full Version : Diesel upgrade

mdb landscaping
06-02-2002, 04:01 PM
Has anybody out there done any mods on their diesels that have really helped out in towing and power. Ive been looking at a diesel dynamics kit for my chevy 2500HD Duramax that gets you a 4 inch exhaust, computer module, and boost gauge module. Its a gain of 50 hp and a good amount of torque gained. Anybody have any suggestions on a good kit or any experiences theyve had.

Dennis E.
06-02-2002, 06:01 PM
With my PSD I bought the PPIII programmer,real easy install.
If I remember correctly for the ford it's 50hp./108 tq.
I put in the K&N,straight piped it,Amsoil in the tranny.
Pretty decent combo. I don't hotrod (much;) )
Great power for pulling the trailer and has not hurt the mpg at all.
Whats the price you are looking at for your mods?
Please be careful with the aftermarket with the Max. I've heard some stories about a problem with fuel lines. It's been awhile since I read about the problem.
You may want to check out a Diesel site where you can ask some questions or do some searching. I'm not trying to scare you out of mods,just would hate to see you have problems after an install.
Diesel Central.com might have some info.
I don't stop in there very often.
Ford Diesel.com is where I usually socialize. Those guys may not be much help though!:rolleyes:

mdb landscaping
06-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. the kit im looking at is $1,500 for a 4 inch exhaust, new computer module, a pyrometer, and boost gauge with a pillar mount. Im defintaely researching it before i do any mods to find if they will work well with my truck. These new trucks are so complicated and are so sensitive, that one little complication sends off all sort of service engine lights lol.

Dennis E.
06-02-2002, 06:34 PM
A pyro is absolute. I can't remember pre or post turbo though as for the best location. That 4in. exhaust will keep the egt's down.
The boost may give you a heart attack though!;)
What HP does the chip give? If it is not real high you should not set off any lights(SES).
Yeah,do some research on it first. If you had a Ford I could help out a little more.
The price seems in line for your mods if it includes install.
I think my programmer was around $300.
K&N was around $40. I did a flowmaster before I straight piped.
(So I spent an extra $130. there.)
The Amsoil in the tranny really cost me. Man is that stuff expensive! Took around 17qts. to change over(plus a new filter)
If I recall the tranny fluid was almost $200. for the two containers.
(2-1/2 gal.each)

Like I said I did not mean to startle you. Just concerned.

AltaLawnCare
06-02-2002, 06:49 PM
The Boost/EGT gauge Pyro sending unit is post Turbo on my Dodge. Either way will work, it responds quicker pre, but I feel is more accurate post....mst people seem to prefer post. ;)

The fueling box is going to make the most difference, the more fuel you cram into a diesel, the more power it makes.....also the hotter it will run, thus the need for the gauge. You'll need to modify the turbo (wastegate) so it will produce more boost - to cool it back down.

The 4" exhaust will help keep EGTs down,but pobably won't give much more power. A better breathing air filter will also help keep the egts down.

There is a good site out there some where for GM diesels, I don't know the address, find it and you'll probably get alot of info. ;)