PDA

View Full Version : snow for the olympics

bearmtnmartin
02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Just saw two truck and transfers loaded with snow headed through the Fraser Valley yesterday. I would guess I'll see a few more today and most likely headed for Mount Seymour, where they are building ski runs out of straw. It must be coming from the top of the Coquihala, so that is.....5 hour rounder? Maybe closer to 6 hours. 34 tonne per load times probably $160.00 an hour or thereabouts equals a lot of money to get ahead of the rain and the melting up there. Maybe Gravel Rat can get his 1 ton on that haul.

Shadetree Ltd
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Cypress Mountain. There are 32 truck and transfers running snow right now but they are all starving for work so I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting less than $100/hour. I will never understand the mentality "I am losing a little bit each trip, but I will make up for it in volume" that a lot of the truckers seem to employ.

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I seen a little bit on the news but I didn't see who's hauling the snow. I don't know what snow weighs per ton I would think rolloff trucks with 40 yard bins would be more efficient.

Just think of it this way there is your tax money fleeing your bank account.
It will be the first and the last time you would ever see a dump truck production hauling snow :rolleyes:

DirtMerchant
02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
I seen a little bit on the news but I didn't see who's hauling the snow. I don't know what snow weighs per ton I would think rolloff trucks with 40 yard bins would be more efficient.

Just think of it this way there is your tax money fleeing your bank account.
It will be the first and the last time you would ever see a dump truck production hauling snow :rolleyes:

FYI: A ton of snows weighs about the same as a ton of feathers, or a ton of concrete

The weight of the snow is relative to weather the sun is out, the ambient air temperature, the core temperature of the snow, What kind of snow it was originally.

The average snow may weigh 15 pounds per cubic foot and drifted compacted snow may weigh 20 pounds or more.

I think that's what you were looking for.

As for roll off bins, those guys are employed right now. I think they should of hired some 80 yard demo bin trucks. And overload them, seeing as word on the street is they're losing 10-15% of the load during transit.

bobcat_ron
02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
It's coming from Manning Park as well, 36 truck and transfers are hauling, every Tom, Dick and Gurpreet is hauling, and VANOC says the 2010 Olympics will be the greenest ever!!!!!
Hoy hell, all the diesel being burned!!!

Shadetree Ltd
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
the 2010 Olympics will be the greenest ever!!!!!

Before they started to truck the snow it was, did you see the pictures of Cypress?

YellowDogSVC
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
FYI: A ton of snows weighs about the same as a ton of feathers, or a ton of concrete

The weight of the snow is relative to weather the sun is out, the ambient air temperature, the core temperature of the snow, What kind of snow it was originally.

The average snow may weigh 15 pounds per cubic foot and drifted compacted snow may weigh 20 pounds or more.

As for roll off bins, those guys are employed right now. I think they should of hired some 80 yard demo bin trucks. And overload them, seeing as word on the street is they're losing 10-15% of the load during transit.
==:dizzy::laugh:

bobcat_ron
02-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Before they started to truck the snow it was, did you see the pictures of Cypress?

The only pictures I saw were of the ski hills where the events are being held, bare ass bare.

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 11:32 PM

It is totally unheard of hauling snow and here in the lower corner of B.C. we rarely get snow. Ohwell it is giving the truck drivers some work even thou they probably are barely making any money.

Danny Boy
02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
On the news tonight they said they were planning to haul 150 loads (truck and transfer) to the slopes, and what about that giant helicopter hauling at over 10 000 per hour:canadaflag:

Marcos
02-04-2010, 01:24 AM
On the news tonight they said they were planning to haul 150 loads (truck and transfer) to the slopes, and what about that giant helicopter hauling at over 10 000 per hour:canadaflag:

I hope someone with good math skills is up there is in a strategic locale counting trucks, helicopters & their respective carbon foot prints.
We wouldn't want dear ol' uncle Al to get all bent out of shape, now would we? :rolleyes: :canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
02-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Money is no issue just keep spending the tax money while that money could be used for building new hospitals or creating jobs.

bearmtnmartin
02-04-2010, 03:03 AM
They did create a bunch of jobs. Ask all those truckers if they are happy? Thats the thing about public spending. Even if it is badly done, and it is hard to argue the economics of trucking a meltable coommodity around, someone always benefits. The money never stays under someones mattress. I know I (and my family) and by extension, people and businesses we frequent have sure benefited over the years by my being hired to do poorly thought out, poorly managed money pit jobs. And they always seem to be for some government agency. Or the CPR. Or the prison system. Oh, and once for a movie production. That was a great one.