PDA

View Full Version : New Bed Installation

PhillipsBrosLawnCare
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Just polling what everyone out there does with this situation: When installing a new landscape bed, after you have the new soil hauled in and placed do you lay down a weed barrier type tarp before the mulch or do you simply go soil, mulch, then a pre-emergent.

Reason I was wondering is because we usually place the barrier down on all new installs. However its a pain and really takes alot of time. We installed one for a new client that got a bid from a nursery to install. The nursery had just listed putting a granular pre-emergent down and no barrier.

What does everyone else do? Thanks.

Jeremy:usflag:

hackitdown
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I never use fabric. I hate the stuff. I think it causes more problems than it solves.

mdlwn1
02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Fabric works...for a little while. Problem is, weed seeds will come in from the wind. Once a weed germinates and roots through the fabric....you really cant pull the weeds out anymore. Mulching alone will prevent most weeds from seeing sunlight and prevent germination. I will say though that it really depends on your ability to steer the customer and his/her level of expectation. Did they ask you too with certainty? Did you spec it in the bid? Sometimes a customer wants that bs on a small job and the quickest way to deal with it is to just do it.

pitrack
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
We don't use fabric. Put down your dirt, pre-emergent, then mulch. Easier to get the weeds out down the road if you do get a few popping through instead of dealing with the stupid fabric.

yardworks, inc.
02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
We only use fabric if we our putting down a decorative rock. With mulch we do not, you or whoever does the maintenance will be glad you didn't.

highclimber604
02-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Yah im not a big fan of the weed fabric. Seems to be hell in the long run if you need to remove the mulch or plant things.

Stevegotcrabgrass
02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Say no to fabric.

mike174
02-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Another vote for no fabric

froglawn
02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
customer may not want to pay additional for fabric anyways...check first if you install

Crash
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Soil, pre-emergent, mulch.

Only use fabric with rock. With mulch, you'll be back top dressing every other year or so...you don't want to mess with that fabric under there.

McGaw
02-12-2010, 12:35 AM
It's also a pain the a** to pull out....

CashMaintenance
03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Fabric:nono::nono: !!!
I have to agree with everyone that the fabric causes more problems then it is worth. Especially once the weeds start growing through it, is is almost impossible to remove it quickly and how many times have we all seen the torn corners of fabric sticking up through the mulch?!?! Not a good look. The pre-em combined with a nice layer of mulch will do the trick, and you are going to refresh the mulch periodically on most of your jobs anyways so spot-spraying any weeds that do come through and then applying the new layer of mulch will be a much easier way to keep the beds looking clean. Just my opinion though i suppose