PDA

View Full Version : Can someone educate me on rock hammers.

DirtMerchant
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Specific application will be breaking oversize into small enough chunks to get into the jaw.

Either Loader, or Excavator applications.

Or any thoughts and ideas. Just need want to learn a little.

Ozz
02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
They wear the crap out of a machine.

You get bounced around a lot in one

You have your teeth shaking after a day on a hoe-ram

Plastic explosives,C-4,C-6,C-8 etc in small quantities does a fatser job :drinkup::laugh:

Don't put them on a machine that's new,and prfefearbly on you don't care for.

DirtMerchant
02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
12,800 hour old ex300 with a brand new isuzu is the likely candidate. Explosives aren't an option.

bobcat_ron
02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
IF your teeth are rattling, you are doing something very wrong, never have I rattled my Dad's mini excavator and hammer, run the engine at half speed and don't put anymore down pressure on the point, like if the tracks are off the ground, that's too much, keep the point straight up and down or parallel with the ground with forward pressure, no prying, and let the hammer do the work, don't pound on the point.
Use the cracks in the rock as a guide as to where the weak points are, they can save major time breaking.

DirtMerchant
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I'd rep you if this board had a reppin system ron.

bobcat_ron
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd rep you if this board had a reppin system ron.

Me no speak street slang. Rep? Reppin?

Engrish prease. :laugh:

Scag48
02-03-2010, 09:44 PM
The only thing I can add to what Ron said is to grease every couple hours in small amounts. I greased the carrier twice per day when I ran a hoe mounted breaker and every 2-3 hours for the breaker itself. Not a massive lube job, just a few pumps every so often.

DirtMerchant
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Me no speak street slang. Rep? Reppin?

Engrish prease. :laugh:

The other forum I post on has a rep system. Where you can plus or negatively rep users for their posts. Once you rep someone you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can rep them again. Your rep is displayed. It was suppose to be used for getting rid of unwanted guests. It just turned into a popular contest.

So, er

Thanks

bobcat_ron
02-03-2010, 11:11 PM
The other forum I post on has a rep system. Where you can plus or negatively rep users for their posts. Once you rep someone you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can rep them again. Your rep is displayed. It was suppose to be used for getting rid of unwanted guests. It just turned into a popular contest.

So, er

Thanks

Oooohhhhh, that's odd.

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Rock breakers are very rough on machines they cause boom cracks, cause problems with the hard piping on the machine. You need to use lexan or shatter proof windows in the machine.

If your putting a rock breaker on a 300 size machine plan on paying atleast 80to 100 grand for the breaker if its new.

DirtMerchant
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Rock breakers are very rough on machines they cause boom cracks, cause problems with the hard piping on the machine. You need to use lexan or shatter proof windows in the machine.

If your putting a rock breaker on a 300 size machine plan on paying atleast 80to 100 grand for the breaker if its new.

For someone who knows everything about everything. I knew all that already.

I know the same as GR!:weightlifter:

Ozz
02-04-2010, 04:24 PM
12,800 hour old ex300 with a brand new isuzu is the likely candidate. Explosives aren't an option.

I was kidding around about C-4...

Ron, that's true, But, I meant on the first day with a breaker and your not used to the right amount of flow,motor speed and pressure etc. after a couple of hrs/days you should have it down.

bobcat_ron
02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Here's an old school tip: get the point really hot, I mean use a torch and dip the point in used engine oil, the heat will soak up the carbon in the oil and it will harden it, but do it too much and the steel gets extemely brittle.

DirtMerchant
02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Like vergluehen aka quenching?

bobcat_ron
02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Like vergluehen aka quenching?

Man you kow some fancy words, you must have a big vocabulary. Mine is limited to words I learned when I was a kid.
But yes, like quenching.

DirtMerchant
02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Man you kow some fancy words, you must have a big vocabulary. Mine is limited to words I learned when I was a kid.
But yes, like quenching.

It was the only question I got wrong on my plant operator final, little bitterness there..haha

Now if only I could find a pit or someone with a screener/crusher to work for.

bobcat_ron
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
It was the only question I got wrong on my plant operator final, little bitterness there..haha

Now if only I could find a pit or someone with a screener/crusher to work for.

Make a phone call to the pits on Sumas Mountain, there are over 20 truck and pony's hauling gravel out of there, got to be some work in those pits, the war between 2 partners was now resolved from what I heard and business as usual.

DirtMerchant
02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Make a phone call to the pits on Sumas Mountain, there are over 20 truck and pony's hauling gravel out of there, got to be some work in those pits, the war between 2 partners was now resolved from what I heard and business as usual.

I applied at Valley sand and gravel yesterday.

Which pits are you referring to?

I know Mainland is up there, but they are 115...

DirtMerchant
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Any suggestions by anyone is appreciated.

Scag48
02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
I thought you had a pretty sweet gig on a road crew?

DirtMerchant
02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
I thought you had a pretty sweet gig on a road crew?

Company got audited and folded up, there is also no mo snow!

Spent the last little while at the local iuoe 115 training site, completing the plant operator course. They've got a jaw, cone, multiple screen decks and we were actually making material for their asphalt lay down course. Class of nine kids was a nice size. So for now I wait for them to find me a job and join the union or I can find my own.

Scag48
02-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Bummer about the snow gig, but what can you do? Never been laid off until last season working for a large outfit, rocked my world. Up until then, if I wanted work, I had it. It's a strange feeling to show up to work one day only to find out it's your last. Things will turn around, you'll be alright, damn near spring anyhow.

I won't toot my horn about the union too much, I think that's a decidsion a guy needs to make for himself. I do believe it's a good deal, at least down here in WA, for a guy to learn a hell of a lot about the business and get paid pretty well to do it. Heavy highway is a riot, I love it and would prefer to stay in this line of work if I gotta work for someone. With that said, I'll go anywhere and do anything to pay the bills, but the dynamics of large projects and challenges we encounter make it very rewarding.

Good thing about working in a pit is that you know where you're going every day. Makes it a little easier to budget for commuting, have a social life and less of a PITA if you're involved with the opposite sex. At the rate I'm going, I'm on track to put 35-40K miles per year on my car. Hopefully my crew takes a job a little closer to home on the next one, I still have another year where we're at right now.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Put in an application at the Public Works from the City of Abbotsford, they always have something open, lots of old farts are now retiring.

DirtMerchant
02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Which pits were you referring to Ron? I really want to get into a pit, or working with some sort of aggregate. Not go work for the city.

bobcat_ron
02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Which pits were you referring to Ron? I really want to get into a pit, or working with some sort of aggregate. Not go work for the city.

Phone Lower Mainland Sand and Gravel, ask if they have an opening in the Cox road station, also phone Highland Quarry.

DirtMerchant
02-05-2010, 05:07 PM
No ones hiring, sent in resumes.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
The gravel mines are slow, LaFarge has laid off 30 guys from a couple of their pits, Lehigh has laid off quite a few people in their pit no gravel sales and Cewe has laid a bunch of people off. BA Blacktop is dead right now I know quite a few of the guys are not working.

DirtMerchant
02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
The gravel mines are slow, LaFarge has laid off 30 guys from a couple of their pits, Lehigh has laid off quite a few people in their pit no gravel sales and Cewe has laid a bunch of people off. BA Blacktop is dead right now I know quite a few of the guys are not working.

Go away GR you've got nothing positive to add. post in another thread.

Gravel Rat
02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Ohwell you can wish for a job all you want I have relatives that work for Lafarge and know people that work for Cewe and Lehigh and BA Blacktop.

With Lafarge they laid off a whole bunch of guys from the Limestone Pit on Texada the Earle Creek Pit is running with far less crew the Cewe pit is running with less crew. There is no gravel sales the only thing keeping Lafarge going right now is the Port Mann bridge project once that is done they have nothing lined up. Lafarge is on a hiring freeze the bean counters back in Quebec said no more new employees.

So if you think I'am being negative talk to the guys that are laid off from the gravel pits and don't know when they are going back to work.

Talking to my brother today and a excavation contractor friend of ours is really hurting he said that he is getting just enough work to keep the bills paid one step away from folding up. Another excavation contractor my brother does work for is pretty much broke his familly is helping with the bills to keep him from loosing everything.

All these guys are hurting severely the work is just not out there. Be in business for 20-30 years and get taken out because of the recession really sucks.

I have contacts in pretty much every industry so I hear all the bad news.

DirtMerchant
02-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I really don't give a **** who know, or what contracts you have, or what the **** you think, or how you feel! :)

Get the **** out my threads and go be dismal elsewhere. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty

Gravel Rat
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Well go smoke a roach then you can wish all you want but there are lots of guys out there with many more years experience than you out of work.

I don't know how old you are but you probably would last long with any of the contractors I have worked for.

Ohwell I could have put in a good word for you through Lafarge but you can go stuff it up you azz :nono:

Good Luck

DirtMerchant
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Well go smoke a roach then you can wish all you want but there are lots of guys out there with many more years experience than you out of work.

I don't know how old you are but you probably would last long with any of the contractors I have worked for.

Ohwell I could have put in a good word for you through Lafarge but you can go stuff it up you azz :nono:

Good Luck

I've never done a drug in my life. I have references, just need to find an opening.

Just stay out of my threads, I'll keep out of yours.
No issues.

Gravel Rat
02-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Check your PMs

I could have gotten you a lead but I'am not now.

bobcat_ron
02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Lots of work here, just got to know where to poke your head in.
There's some big infastructure work here in town, 2 new over pass projects and 2 strip malls somewhere with in walking distance.

DirtMerchant
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I miss working alone.

bobcat_ron
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I miss working alone.

I miss working with my Japanese girl friend.

DirtMerchant
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I miss working with my Japanese girl friend.

I used to work alone, and life with a half Vietnamese girl. I was 19, she was 24.
I made great money, loved my job. Then some investment banker ****** up in New york.

bobcat_ron
02-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I used to work alone, and life with a half Vietnamese girl. I was 19, she was 24.
I made great money, loved my job. Then some investment banker ****** up in New york.

I was talking about my Takeuchi CTL, I don't know WTF you were thinking. :laugh:

One question, did she love you long time, all night long?

wanabe
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=. Then some investment banker ****** up in New york.[/QUOTE]

And now we are all left to pay the price! The low life POS bankers should all be thrown out of this country!

DirtMerchant
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Samsungs larger equipment used to be partially manufactured in Vietnam

My SE450LC-2 was made there.