PDA

View Full Version : What would you use

RLI Electric
02-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Just wondering if any of you have a better idea than an in ground mini well light? My client wants to light the address but we have that fluorescent coach to contend with. He was also wondering if there is such a thing as an LED backlight to go behind the numbers. I told him I had never seen such a thing but maybe some of you have some ideas.

slimart01
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Check this out: address sign (www.yourhouseproducts.com/catalog/)

I'm sure there are many others out there.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
SPJ and some others make backlit Number signs. I would not be shining any light onto the existing numbers, it would not look very nice and you will have glare issues. Even an 8 degree narrow spot will spill light all over that wall.

RLI Electric
02-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys, the quandry is that they want to use THOSE stainless steel numbers. He has them attached with velcro now to play around with placement. I was wondering if there was a LED strip that the numbers would attach to and therefore the numbers would just be a dark spot on the lighted strip.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes, you could purchase an LED light box and mount the numbers to the translucent front screen. However:

1- about $95 per sq foot
2- not rated for outdoor use
3- require a 24Vdc power supply
4- no light control, having used these light panels recently, I can tell you the output would be too bright for the application. they are designed to have print media placed in front of them (photos, ads, etc)

I am sure they are special to the client and all, but ultimately they are just SS numbers. Perhaps you could have a fabricator incorporate them into a custom backlit LV sign? (bet that would be cheap, not!)

RLI Electric
02-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Do they make it in solar? Just kidding, can't tell you how often I hear that.:rolleyes:

emby
02-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Maybe this from Hunza... The first link will show you the fixture and the second will show you an application with it.

1.http://www.hunza.co.nz/productResources/downloads/pic_dl.jpg
2.http://www.hunza.co.nz/images/photoGalleryImgs/downlighting_lge.jpg

If you read the specs on this, it can be wired with 120v as well which you might be able to tap off of the other wall light and control it that way.
Just my 2 cents.

Ken

RLI Electric
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Ken, I thought about Hunza first thing, the funny thing is I showed him some for another part of the yard a year ago and to this day he says "Nothing too expensive like Hunza" I really did laugh when I saw you reply with Hunza. I think the fixtures look awesome and machined really well. I was a machinist before I became an electrician so I can see the multiple process' in making a fixture like Hunza, Teka or HK. For what it's worth, they are not overpriced at all.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Bobby, I would demo a fixture above the numbers lamped with an MR16 before you go selling the Hunza DL for that application. I think it will wash the wall for sure but will not do much to highlight the numbers. The angle of attack from the lamp will be too oblique. You need to put light onto the face of the numbers or backlight them to make them stand out. Try the effect by holding a bullet above the numbers with an ESX lamp installed.

RLI Electric
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the tip James

Lite4
02-05-2010, 08:09 AM
The numbers he has are fine, the problem is the wall color. The letters just fade into the wall. Why not build a small shadow box for the numbers. Paint the background black or some dark color so the stainless numbers stand out. Use some LED strip lights on the outside edges of the box that are built into the wood trim. The crosslight the numbers and bam, custom made address box!.........or you could just go with the SPJ ones too.

RLDesign
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
NOW YOUR TALKING TIM. That is what I would do.

Talk soon. Tanek

maxwilbryan
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Why no move the numbers under the existing fixture? And have a fixture that is open on the bottom. Looks like a barn. Needs plant material. Different forum I guess...
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyD
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
working on getting some good pictures of our adress kit. You may like it. Its essentially a Voyager 8 with open seeded glass faceplate with numbers on it. not a glare bomb and works well.

RLI Electric
02-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Tim, I thought I posted a big thanks on that idea earlier, I guess I didn't. No :) not a barn, a contemporary with T111 siding and those fluorescent sconces:confused:. I would like to see plant material too, weird placement of the house though. That corner is roughly 4 feet from the driveway.

Tomwilllight
02-05-2010, 10:18 PM
All clients who pay on time have good taste.

Tom

RLI Electric
02-06-2010, 06:14 AM
This is true, I have to install more TECH in the house$. He is patiently waiting for LED to hit it's breakthrough as far as interior lighting. He is European and it seems as if there is a little more progress over there regarding lighting. At least in his opinion, I really don't have a clue what they do on that side of the ocean. Tom, good to "see" you again.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2010, 09:38 AM
All clients who pay on time have good taste.

Tom

:clapping:

Tomwilllight
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Tom, good to "see" you again.
Thanks for the welcome back... I've been busy with a move from Upstate NY to Portland, OR.

My wife and I are about to completely relight our new home and plan to use as much LED product as possible... inside and out. I'll report here as that project progresses. I expect the process will be interesting... Happily, we found an electrician who is delighted with the process of experimenting with LED with us.

You may want to go to the Department of Energy's CALiPER project on the web and review their findings. Their work does extensive testing on LED product - commercial and residential - not much Landscape Lighting yet. They buy the product they test anonymously off the shelf. This way they are buying what the consumer will buy. A manufacturer can not request review so they have no opportunity to influence the test results by supplying the BEST of a production run.

CALiPER has published the results of Round 9 of their tests and those (& rounds 1 through 8) may be read at the link below. The results include some recessed downlights that may work for your residential client.

<http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/ssl/reports.html>

Just so it's clear, there is no connection between CALiPER and our renovation other than we have access to the same web site.

Tom