PDA

View Full Version : Fixture Suggestion: Deck Lighting (photo attached)

RLDesign
02-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Hello All,

I have 2 structures that I need to design lighting for - one is rush. The roof top deck in these photos needs a completed design and install by tomorrow. They are closing the walls in on Monday. I need a fixture that is line or low-volt exterior to code. I have a service area below the stairs that could have access for a transformer, but I had figured line volt or led would be better. I was thinking 3 evenly spaced fixtures with downlighting application.

Any advice on the deck first and then the cats walk and tower second. I have a huge time crunch. I will probably add a switch on the stairs with a interval timer so that the deck lights will always turn off. They are going to do a full UPB house and garage.

Thanks,
Tanek
Reynolds Lighting Design

James, if you have time - your advice on LED options is always welcome!

S&MLL
02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Tanek I would go with 4 deck lights on the deck. Your forth being on the post for steps just facing the inward deck.

In pic 2 that light looks like it would be right where the railing would go. Which could cause an ugly light pattern. How about 1"inset leds shooting across the treds of the steps. They could be flush mounted into the sides of the stairwell.

http://www.landscapelighting.com/products/LargeImage.jsp?pid=15424AGZ&prdname=Cotswold - Deck 1-Lt 12V

or similar in led. Kichlers deck leds are hard to come by. But I like them.

As for that tower?? im not to sure. Hard to see in that stage what the final outcome will be? Siding or brick? Any sort of rail? Will the 45* supports be wrapped with anything?

Fold carrys the inset 1" in led. Expensive but much better then the crappy kit they sell at lowes.

RLDesign
02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks. I forgot to specifiy it has to be composite or brass or stainless... as all other materials will be gone in 6 months. I would say brass/plastic/composite. I have been thinking LED, but not sure.

Talk soon.

Tanek

Pro-Scapes
02-04-2010, 05:46 PM
how much clearance do you have in the tower sofit? will it be enclosed or will it remain with open framing on the outside. Lightolier lv2000 might work well in there if it will be an enclosed soffit and you have the room. Perhaps a rope light might work too. I saw one where it was concealed and looked great. They used a 1x2 and finish nailer to create a small lip in which the rope light was directly concealed but the ambience from it shed plenty of light down.

On the underside of flooring for the upper tower level will there be anything or will it be open joists ? If open I would probably use cast niche lights with the reflectors removed and patina the inside of the copper fixture to cut down on the light. 20w scb lamp. Unique Probe OSM might work too but might be too much for this application.

Place a switch near by for privacy reasons should there be a special moment while watching the sunrise.

on the deck rails I would probably use CAST hockey pucks. Im a fan of this particular deck light. Its very stout. Easy to install and has a pleasing output. The bronze will last. Vista Rail lights are also an option.

Mataman
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Focus SL-07-SS/BRS (http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/SL-07_Cut_Sheet.pdf), xenon or LED, stainless steel or brass.
I'm working on a bid for some turtle friendly lights in the ss LED version of this fixture.

This one might be nice too,, more of a flush mount
SL-17 (http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/SL-17_Cut_Sheet.pdf)

This new Cast light looks pretty sweet
http://www.cast-lighting.com/products/fixtures/specialty-lights/175/

if you can't make a decision now, put in some build boxes to buy you some time till you find the right fixture

Pro-Scapes
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Focus SL-07-SS/BRS (http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/SL-07_Cut_Sheet.pdf), xenon or LED, stainless steel or brass.
I'm working on a bid for some turtle friendly lights in the ss LED version of this fixture.

This one might be nice too,, more of a flush mount
SL-17 (http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/SL-17_Cut_Sheet.pdf)

This new Cast light looks pretty sweet
http://www.cast-lighting.com/products/fixtures/specialty-lights/175/

if you can't make a decision now, put in some build boxes to buy you some time till you find the right fixture

Build boxes might be a bad idea because he will be limited to a large fixture. Custom trims and wire it up is the way I would go. Rememeber you need different wire to run inside the structure than you do outside. Check local codes!

RLDesign
02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I am just spec.ing and the electricican is completing, but I want the right product. YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE GREAT!! Thanks again.

Talk to you as soon as I review all this.

Best,

Tanek

Mataman
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Build boxes might be a bad idea because he will be limited to a large fixture. Custom trims and wire it up is the way I would go. Rememeber you need different wire to run inside the structure than you do outside. Check local codes!

I was just thinking on how to buy him some time encase he didn't make a decision or a fixture not being readily available for prior to things being closed up.
I didn't think those gray plastic electrical boxes where that big. Perfect size for any type of small recessed rectangle fixture.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Tanek, no brainer IMO:

NS WM-3535-SS-LOX1430 Located on each post, with a custom milled wire cover up the backside of the post.

Forget about LED lamps or fixtures on such a small job for now... when we have the T5 wedge LED you can upgrade them.

Regards

capelawncare.com
02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Surf City?

S&MLL
02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Surf City?

Most of the shore looks the same. I would be impressed if you knew that was lbi from the pics.

James why any custom milling? Seems like a waste when the wire is getting enclosed with a wall?

Pro-Scapes
02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Why does the wire have to be enclosed in the wall ? I would sofit and joist mount in this scenario to get a softer light. The prewire could definatly be chased in some conduit (you cannot use low voltage cable that we use inside the structure) but I would like James make some custom moldings on the router table and table saw to cover the wires to the fixtures in the sofits (perhaps the site carpenters can aid in a solution here)

S&MLL
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I think he is talking about the deck Billy. Thats why im confused about the milling. When we do deck lights on a normal deck with railing yes mill away. But here where there will be a knee wall why mill the posts? Unless that Knee wall framing is a deck rail, in which case that is a very scarey rail. 16"s between balusters . Billy do you use Romex in the walls? I use a low voltage cable with a sheathing rating for indoors.

BrandonV
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
that's one heck of a deer stand

Lite4
02-05-2010, 08:43 AM
that's one heck of a deer stand

I was going to say it looked like the old 2 story outhouses from a long ago age.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I thought it looks like a Widow's Walk ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widow%27s_walk ) myself... Although in this case im sure it is being built so the owners have a view of the shoreline.

Lite4
02-05-2010, 09:20 AM
It would be a cool place to put a small observatory.

RLDesign
02-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Surf City?

Close - North Beach. You must have spent some time on fly by, grew up, or hung out on a lot of roof top decks???

Talk soon.

Thanks,

Tanek

RLDesign
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok - I am a little lost. I am looking for a fixture that fits code for NJ on wiring a deck/structure. I can power with line or low volt. I know my code restrictions with wire types. I still check all my readings and test accordingly. What transformer do you suggest? What type of wire do you use Brandon? I have used regular Romex, but other than Qwire - what else is there? Also, what fixture do you suggest? I know James said the Postliter (see attached to show I love them), but I am not sure if the NEC or Local code would allow fixture. I would install with inline fuse at each fixture, but I have never known the postliter to be rated for inside structure use?? Help me understand?

The deck layout and fixture spec is the rush right now. I will discuss the tower in a new thread.

Thanks for all your help.

Tanek

capelawncare.com
02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Most of the shore looks the same. I would be impressed if you knew that was lbi from the pics.

James why any custom milling? Seems like a waste when the wire is getting enclosed with a wall?

Not a far stretch, Manahawkin isnt far away. And there is a big blue water tower in Surf City. I could be wrong though.

capelawncare.com
02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Close - North Beach. You must have spent some time on fly by, grew up, or hung out on a lot of roof top decks???

Talk soon.

Thanks,

Tanek

I spent a lot time at the Gateway, in my mispent youth.

Pro-Scapes
02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Romex would work inside if need be.

On the deck I would still just use the cast pucks. The tower looks to be fairly easy to wire with a bit of plannning.