PDA

View Full Version : pop up lv fixtures

niteliters
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
have a client who wants his lights to pop up when on, go down when off. the little I have seen was junk and it's been so long since I looked at it I couldn't find anything on internet or here. is there a place still selling this kind of stuff. I told him I think it's the wrong thing for several reasons but maybe there's something out there I am unaware of. I think what I saw was run in conjunction with or tied into an irrigation system. can;t remember. if you know of a website, that would be helpful

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
RAB used to make a line of retractable bollards. They were mechanically complex units and prone to failures. They were also wickedly expensive at around $1100 each as I recall. It has been many years since they built these.

A few years ago I was joking around with my Brother In Law, Steve Marysiuk from Rainbird Irrigation, that someone should make a line of rotary sprinkler heads with high intensity laser lights installed. The light would then fill the stream of water when the irrigation system was on! Im sure some killjoy would quash the idea as water and electricity are not a great combination.

Pro-Scapes
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I saw something like this at lightfair back in 08. It was pneumatic. You had to run a small air line with your wires. The small malibu looking transformer had something like an air pump inside. When the trans came on the air pressurised the lines and the things popped up like 12 inch irrigation heads.

The quality didnt seem on par with something you would do tho Chris.

S&MLL
02-05-2010, 12:26 AM
I saw something like this at lightfair back in 08. It was pneumatic. You had to run a small air line with your wires. The small malibu looking transformer had something like an air pump inside. When the trans came on the air pressurised the lines and the things popped up like 12 inch irrigation heads.

The quality didnt seem on par with something you would do tho Chris.

Seems like a service nightmare. Could you imagine installing that? Im guessing it would be a small gauge line like the ones used for pressure gauges in cars?

I can see it working with a cdrom sort of mechanism and a mercury switch.

BrandonV
02-05-2010, 07:57 AM
seems like a terrible idea, but awesome at the same time. Give Joey a call and see how custom they really are, being out in california I'm sure he can go by a lowrider shop or something and get some parts.

Lite4
02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I played around with this a couple of years ago. I used a small 12v motor from a cars antenna extender. The problem I ran into was you either had to go with a solid fixture and bury the housing tube 30" in the ground or make the internal fixture telescopic. The telescopic fixture kept sticking and wouldn't fully extend. I havn't tried the full length config though. The motor was a little weak, but there are more powerful motors out there that could work. The biggest problem though, as James stated, They are mechanically complex and the chance of a problem is too high. Not to mention they would cost a fortune to manufacture. Yada Yada,....pipe dreams I guess.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I played around with this a couple of years ago. I used a small 12v motor from a cars antenna extender. The problem I ran into was you either had to go with a solid fixture and bury the housing tube 30" in the ground or make the internal fixture telescopic. The telescopic fixture kept sticking and wouldn't fully extend. I havn't tried the full length config though. The motor was a little weak, but there are more powerful motors out there that could work. The biggest problem though, as James stated, They are mechanically complex and the chance of a problem is too high. Not to mention they would cost a fortune to manufacture. Yada Yada,....pipe dreams I guess.

Kudos to you Tim for trying this. It does sound like a neat idea, but the concept of burying motors and controls... well we all know what would happen in short order. Then think of how few markets would have the appropriate soil and climatic conditions to make the ongoing function of this feasible. I sure wouldn't work up here, certainly not in the winter.

Lite4
02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Kudos to you Tim for trying this. It does sound like a neat idea, but the concept of burying motors and controls... well we all know what would happen in short order. Then think of how few markets would have the appropriate soil and climatic conditions to make the ongoing function of this feasible. I sure wouldn't work up here, certainly not in the winter.

:laugh: Yeah, I can just imagine it now. The customer calls me and tells me he hears a high pitched squeel in his yard. He says it sounds like some animal has a terrified squirrel in it's mouth. "No that is not an injured squirrel you are hearing sir, that is just the little 12v motor in your lights trying to push the 5" path light top and 30" stem up through 3' of wet heavy snow, just unplug it for now and I will fix it in the spring.".......Yeah, like that's going to happen.

niteliters
02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
thanks everyone, very helpful.

JoeyD
02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I saw a whole bunch of these

in a trash can :)

The Lighting Geek
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
seems to me I saw something like this but it used air to pop-up the light. It sounded problematic and looked cheap.

klkanders
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
I came across one when installing some new path lights. It was stuck. I had to change positioning on my fixtures as the pop-up was in there deep!
As others have said probably was nice at first but winters here would kill it.

irrig8r
02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.google.com/patents?id=HqMkAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Qg8kAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=7jUmAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OwchAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=CZQpAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Leave it to "The Professor" to search patent records! :clapping:

Best darned internet sleuth I know, way to go Gregg.

irrig8r
02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't which if any of these went into commercial production. I seem to remember that the one I saw at a trade show in the early 90s used a Japanese motor... Matsushita maybe.

I use a handful of search engines, and I don't give up after the first or second page of results. I change the order of words in a phrase, try different related words, different misspellings, etc. It just takes practice and persistence.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Well thanks to my distributor, John at TC Lighting, (they guy has a handle on everything!) I have found some retractable bollards. :) Now don't go shooting the messenger! I am not endorsing them or anything... just passing along the information.

http://www.retractalight.com/

Pro-Scapes
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Well thanks to my distributor, John at TC Lighting, (they guy has a handle on everything!) I have found some retractable bollards. :) Now don't go shooting the messenger! I am not endorsing them or anything... just passing along the information.

http://www.retractalight.com/

Yep thats the one I saw at lightfair. :laugh::laugh: Gotta dig the wire nuts in the video.

extlights
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm still not sure about the reliability of them, but Ruud has been making retractables for years now. I think you can get them in either 120 or 12v applications. We haven't used any of their lv stuff, but I do know that their commercial lighting fixtures are second to none.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Dave. I was under the impression that Ruud stopped making these years ago. Not so.

Chris at Niteliters started this thread, Im sure he will be interested!

Here are the details. http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/literature/landscape_products.asp?mscssid=&conid=&dc=9&vt=12&fc=bl

niteliters
03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
thank you all. fortunately, haven't met with this client yet because of the weather so having these tools will be helpful