PDA

View Full Version : landscape shows

kountryscape
02-21-2000, 07:38 PM
I'VE BEEN ASKED BY THE ORGANIZERS OF OUR LANDSCAPE & GARDEN SHOW TO DO A BOOTH. I'M TEAMED UP WITH A WELL KNOWN STAMPED CONCRETE COMPANY. I NEED IDEAS I'M ALREADY DOING A CEDAR ARBOR , CEDAR TRELLIS TYPE FENCE AND CEDAR SPLIT RAIL FENCE ON ONE SIDE THE CONCRETE GUY IS PUTTING A GARDEN PATH IN . WHAT I NEED IS IDEAS FOR PLANT MATERIAL I HAVE NON. HOW MANY NURSERIES HAVE ANY THING LAYING AROUND IN MARCH? I'M IN IOWA AND I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE THINKING THIS GUY IS NUTS THOSE SHOWS ARE ALL WORK. BUT LOOKING AT IT THREW MY EYES , I'M THE ONLY ONE WITH OUT A FLEET OF TRUCKS 30 OR MORE, 90% OF THE CONTRACTORS HAVE SEVERAL CREWS AND THE BIG NAME IN TOWN I JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE ONE OF THE ORGANIZERS AS A GREENHOUSE CUSTOMER SHE LIKED ME AND MY SET-UP AND ASKED ME. YOU HAVE TO REALIZE I HAVE A SMALL PICK-UP A 8-N TRACTOR AND TWO WHEELBARROWS AND A SLOUGH OF HAND TOOLS. IM LOOKING TO GET MY NAME OUT THERE FOR MY GREENHOUSE AND LANDSCAPE BUSINESS ALONG WITH BUILDING MY OUTDOOR WOOD PRODUCTS I NEED SOME HELP SOME GOOD IDEAS THAT DONT COST AN ARM AND LEG MAYBE SOME OF YOU CHICAGO BOYS COULD HELP, PAUL? GIVE ME SOME FEED BACK IM TIERD OF CRAWLING AND AM LOOKING TO WALK NOT RUN BUT I COULD RUN IF I HAD TO. THE SHOW IS IN MARCH SECOND WEEKEND. <br>

paul
02-21-2000, 09:37 PM
First plan your display, don't over power it. draw the people toward the center, too many items will cause overload (KISS) the arbor and the trellis should be enough use plants for accent, Andorra juniper, yew and boxwood, for color and contrast, ground cover for the edges. Next try Midwest Groundcover at 847-742-1790 or their web page at www.midwestgroundcovers.com and find out if they can shipp you the plants that you need as all are in pots. <p>----------<br>paul<br>

Lanelle
02-21-2000, 11:21 PM
For color you might try some forced bulbs--hyacinths smell great and florist azaleas. <br>These are usually available from seasonal growers or florist wholesalers. Don't go overboard but don't let it look skimpy. Well organized, defined areas make a better impact. Use a loose mulch to cover the&quot;beds&quot;. If your booth has a solid back, make sure that it looks good from a distance.

paul
02-22-2000, 12:34 PM
Also have pictures LARGE ONES of the work that you do. If you don't have a lot make sure there good ones. get some brochures made up, you don't have time for fancy ones just make them look good. Talk to your supplyiers they will have some also. If you have drawings of plans that you have done, hand color them in,or water color if you have the talent for it. Next get a nice shirt and have it embrioded(sp) with your name and logo, look sharp. Have the local print and sign shop make a blowup of your logo people have to see what you are and what you do. keep the booth clean during the show, have plenty of cards and have a guest book for people to sign along with their address(for future mailings). Don't divide up the booth you having one side the concrete guy with the other incorperate both in your design.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

kountryscape
02-22-2000, 05:55 PM
thanks guys hey paul i already have got embroidered sweat shirts ordered i like the guest book idea. our sales booth is acrossed the aisle from the garden area our names are only suppose to be small signs. and the show supplies a sign with our names on it. midwest ground covers is a good idea. i know where they are and could pick the stuff up its only 2:30 away. hey should i use trees or not im trying to keep cost down so big trees could be out. thanks for the info if you have more tell me as far as flowers i have 15 pots of geraniums ordered<br>

Lanelle
02-25-2000, 04:31 PM
Using trees depends on where you're located in the show and whether you have a nice backdrop planned. One tall tree might help draw people to you. It should be in leaf, bloom, or evergreen, probably. <br>How about an update on your progress.

paul
02-27-2000, 02:19 PM
How is your planning going on this please if you have the time keep us up dated!<p>----------<br>paul<br>

kountryscape
02-27-2000, 09:21 PM
hey guys i've been busy, im making the arbor and i have the trellis done. we 've decided on the old and new theme. kind of the 1900 and the 2000 of gardening. we have all kinds of old tools along with new ones. our theme is old fashion values. im trying to get an old red jacket pump the old hand pump type to pump water into a whiskey barrel i think the old pump and water sound will help with the theme, this pump has never been used it still has the handle wired to the pump. landscape material is up in the air im trying to get local stuff but might make a run for midwest ground covers before the show its hard to do these things without knowing the out come you could do alot but do you want to put the money out or hold on to it after all it involves alot of work its kinda like camping first you plan then you haul everything to the campground then you set it up , then put up with the crowd(dont get me wrong i like crowds) then pack everything up haul it home and then clean and pack everything away if you guys have any thing else to help nothings set in stone till its really done i have a plan but its flexable i do some of my best work under presure and believe me this is pressure thanks to everyone jarrett

kountryscape
02-27-2000, 09:30 PM
i forgot, all the mulch is supplyed by xylem a wholesale mulch company i our area. at least i dont have to find mulch this early its to bad they dont have garden shows in may or june or something as if you can find half this stuff this early jarrett

Lanelle
02-27-2000, 11:06 PM
Your theme sounds good. It should bring a good bit of attention. Sounds like you are making good progress too. If you are looking for more 'antiques', you might approach a local antique dealer that has something that would be just perfect. Ask to borrow the objects in exchange for putting a small sign near the object with a 'supplied by' credit. Free advertising for the dealer. Look at florist suppliers for forced bulbs. I went to our home show this weekend. There were 12 display gardens there. Several had used tulips, hyacinths, crocus and hellebores. Good luck.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

kountryscape
03-03-2000, 06:15 PM
hey guys just updating you on the show. the wood shavings are flying and im runnin around getting everything ready. now i have baby chickens to have at the show i'm building a open top cage for them so kids can see in . we needed something to attract visitors to our booth this should do it. how many people can resist little baby anythings i thought it was a good idea. after all my company name is kountryscape and our theme is old and new so hey what better. see ya later jarrett

steveair
03-05-2000, 07:01 PM
Hey kountry, just got back from the philadelphia flower show today and thought of you when i walked in the door. The first display was along the lines of what you were talking about and was a old country barn seen. They constructed a old barn, complete with old tractor and even a corn bin with corn in it, with all types of plants forced bloom. Alot of azaleas, bradfords, service berries, and cherrys. The part that i noticed most was they had a cage with live sheep and chickens in it!!! <p>I guess someone beat you to the punch...<p>Anyways, it was a big draw and everyone loved the live aspect. Think you will have a winner with your design. To bad your so far away, because the show was great. A little to much on the florist side though, but still great...

paul
03-11-2000, 03:55 PM
Jarrett,<br>How is everything going, waiting to hear that you really got your name out there, if it was this weekend let us know what happened.<br>Best of luck <p>----------<br>paul<br>

Evan528
03-11-2000, 07:32 PM
steve, i also went to the philadelhis flower show. pretty ammazing huh? I couldnt beleave my eyes with the live chickens and the shack that looked to be from the year 1800. there was alot of really graet displays.

steveair
03-12-2000, 03:15 PM
Ya, the show was great. Its amazing what 3 months of planning and 100,000 dollars of corporate sponsor money can build for you.....lol.

kountryscape
03-13-2000, 03:01 PM
HI GUYS WE HAD OUR SHOW THIS LAST WEEKEND IT WAS WAY TO MUCH FUN. OVER 10,000 PEOPLE A DAY FOR THREE DAYS , MY DISPLAY ROCKED EVERY KID OF EVERY AGE LOVED TO SEE THE BABY CHICKENS. MY ARBOR AND TRELLIS WAS ALSO SOMETHING PEOPLE ENJOYED I HEARD IT ALL FROM ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE BUILT A SOMETHING TO WITH STAND A WIND STORM PUT IT THIS WAY THAT ARBOR COULD OF SAVED DORTHY AND HER DOG FROM A TORNADO IT'S BUILT. ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T GET ANY I 'LL TAKE ONE HERES THE MONEY I PROBELY TALKED TO 15 OR 20 SERIOUS CUSTOMERS EVERYDAY AS FAR AS LANDSCAPING CUSTOMERS THEY LIKED THE FACT I WAS A SMALL CONTRACTOR AND I DID THE WORK. IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO DO THIS TYPE OF SHOW DO IT IT CLEANS OUT YOUR POCKETS BUT IN THE LONG RUN IT PAYS OFF LOOKS LIKE THE OLD S-10 MIGHT HAVE TO BE TRADED IN FOR A BIGGER TRUCK . HEY SOME THINGS THAT STUCK OUT AT THE SHOW WERE A PARTY TENT WITH A POND INSIDE WITH NIGHT LIGHTING DISPLAY THE SIDES WERE DOWN TO MAKE IT DARK A GIANT SAND CASTLE MADE BY THREE GUYS CALLED SANDSCAPES. AND YES WE HA

kountryscape
03-13-2000, 03:01 PM
HI GUYS WE HAD OUR SHOW THIS LAST WEEKEND IT WAS WAY TO MUCH FUN. OVER 10,000 PEOPLE A DAY FOR THREE DAYS , MY DISPLAY ROCKED EVERY KID OF EVERY AGE LOVED TO SEE THE BABY CHICKENS. MY ARBOR AND TRELLIS WAS ALSO SOMETHING PEOPLE ENJOYED I HEARD IT ALL FROM ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE BUILT A SOMETHING TO WITH STAND A WIND STORM PUT IT THIS WAY THAT ARBOR COULD OF SAVED DORTHY AND HER DOG FROM A TORNADO IT'S BUILT. ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T GET ANY I 'LL TAKE ONE HERES THE MONEY I PROBELY TALKED TO 15 OR 20 SERIOUS CUSTOMERS EVERYDAY AS FAR AS LANDSCAPING CUSTOMERS THEY LIKED THE FACT I WAS A SMALL CONTRACTOR AND I DID THE WORK. IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO DO THIS TYPE OF SHOW DO IT IT CLEANS OUT YOUR POCKETS BUT IN THE LONG RUN IT PAYS OFF LOOKS LIKE THE OLD S-10 MIGHT HAVE TO BE TRADED IN FOR A BIGGER TRUCK . HEY SOME THINGS THAT STUCK OUT AT THE SHOW WERE A PARTY TENT WITH A POND INSIDE WITH NIGHT LIGHTING DISPLAY THE SIDES WERE DOWN TO MAKE IT DARK A GIANT SAND CASTLE MADE BY THREE GUYS CALLED SANDSCAPES. AND YES WE HAD A RESTORED AND ONE RUSTY JOHN DEERE TRACTOR IN A DISPLAY WITH WATER RUNNING OF THE ROOF OF A BARN OVER TOP THE PATH IN A DOWN SPOUT AND INTO A POND. AFTER ALL THIS IS THE HEAD QUARTERS FOR DEERE INC. SO HEY DIXIE CHOPPERS WOULDN'T BE COOL . ITS BEEN FUN WRITE ME BACK !! HEY I ALSO FOUND OUT MY DISPLAY LOOK GREAT BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE 3 KABILLION BLOOMING PLANTS IN IT I HAD SIX B&B BOXWOOD THREE B&B EMERALD ARBS. 10 MUMS AND A NICE A RAY OF ANTIQUE GARDEN TOOLS AND ALL THE CEDAR FENCE AND GARDEN STRUCTURES BROUGHT IT TOGETHER . MINE LOOKED LIKE SOMEONES YARD NOT SOMETHING ON PBS VICTORY GARDEN WITH ROGER SWAIN IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN SEE YA GOT TO GET CAUGHT UP WITH THE GREENHOUSE JARRETT