PDA

View Full Version : I.D. This Mildew !

thfireman
06-03-2002, 01:37 PM
I need to know the I.D. to this mildew. It is medium grey and powdery looking. It is growing on tall fescue in temps of about 85 to 90 degrees. There has not been a lot of rain but it still grows. I am not sure if it is powdery mildew or slim mildew ot maybe mold! Look at the photo and send your opinions. I am new at this I.D. of pests and need help to learn. Thanks

lawnstudent
06-03-2002, 07:22 PM
thfireman,

I don't think it's powdery mildew. Powdery mildew is a early spring/late fall disease that attacks when temps are in 50 - 60's, damp & overcast days. Typically not a problem on tall fescue. Definitely common on KB, but not a serious threat to the life of KB.

My guess is it's a slime mold. They occur on grass surface when weather is warm following heavy rains or watering. Slime molds dry and look like grayish, white, black or yellow powder on grass that is easily rubbed off. Seldom a serious problem.

jim

Greg Amann
06-03-2002, 07:27 PM
Slime mold. No control necessary. It washes off with water. I does spread but is not injurious to the turf.

LawnLad
06-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Is mycellium present with all turf diseases? You can see the mycellium (or atleast what looks like it), which I usually see in the morning dew when I'm looking for dollar spot this time of year. Granted this is not dollar spot... just wondering about the mycellium, where it comes from, what it does and how it relates to the various diseases?

lawnstudent
06-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Most fungus grows in a mass of tangled threads called mycellium. The fruiting bodies of fungus grow from the mycellium.

Turf grass diseases can be caused by viruses, bacteria, fungus, nematodes and parasitic seed plants.

jim

thfireman
06-03-2002, 11:52 PM
Thanks all!! I was hoping it was just slime mold. I will just brush it away to keep the customer from freaking out. Thanks again!