PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Mulch Jobs

Uncle Josh
02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, I am in the Athens, Georgia area. Are there any of you out there near my area that can offer some honest insight on the most fair yet profitable way to price a mulch job? What I have been doing for the last year or so is charge the customer my cost for the mulch (usually $25-$35 per cubic yard depending) then a $50 deliverry fee no matter how much is involved (not the customer's fault I have a small truck and have to make several trips right?) and a flat $50 per cubic yard to install. Is this fair to the customer? To me? Reason I ask, I have found some other prices across the country in different spots that are flippin outrageous!!! Am I charging enough? Too much? For the wrong things? Any help is appreciated very very much. Especially from you guys near my area. Thanks!

Josh

Glenn Lawn Care
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
i get mulch for $24.99 a yard and charge the customer $30 a yard. delivery charge depends on how far away the customer is and i charge $65 a yard to install. every area is differtent. sometimes the price has to go down a smidge ( but to low ball) to get the job! hope this helps. i hope to get alot of mulch jobs in 2010!!

Uncle Josh
02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey thanks bud for the reply! That does help a lot! I guess I am being fair with my customers then. I see it is all relative. Thanks for the tips and in advance for more!

stevenf
02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I charge by the hour for bags. I can put out about 12-15 bags on a residential with light bed prep in one hour.
For bigger jobs, I charge my hourly rate and figure hour per yard.
I also do a 20% markup on every material job.

Uncle Josh
02-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the info stevenf. Some more really good options to consider.

IRRITECH
02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Why are you picking it up?? The cost is good @ $25-$30/yard, but why not gert it delivered. Typically that will cost you $35 or so depending on how much. One time delivery charge will save you the time and money it takes to go get it. Then charge the $50/ yd to install it. In our area $50/yd installed is a fair price and no matter what these guys tell you, you are not going to get huge money on mulch, prices have dropped significantly over the past few years so stick with the 50 and have it delivered.

Uncle Josh
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I just pick it up myself because the buttholes I buy my mulch from dumped some sod one time and it pissed me off and I don't want them just dumping the mulch wherever the heck is convenient for them. I like having the mulch in my truck and trailer the whole time. It allows me to keep the job site clean and neat and with minimal cleanup. I just don't trust the company I get my mulch from plain and simple. They have even lied to me about prices before as well as availability of mulch. They say they have five yards available and I get there and there's maybe one, maybe. I Just don't trust 'em with it.

Uncle Josh
02-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Another question: for those mulch jobs when I have to remove the old mulch (large pine bark) to go back with a different kind (double ground decorative covering), what is a fair way to price removal of old mulch? Thanks!

froglawn
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
not in your area but $50 is not much for delivery...you may be able to have the co. your buying the mulch from deliver

Uncle Josh
02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah and they would be cheaper but they suck at where they decide to dump the stuff. I like it in my trailer and my truck where I want it when I want it there. It's just really convenient.

alteeter
02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
HOLY CRAP I WISH I LIVED IN GEORGIA......50$ FOR 1 CUBIC YD. FOR INSTALL????????? people around here would ask me to take a breathalizer test if i quoted them that much................How in the h. e. double hockey sticks do you figure that one man, one wheelbarrow, one shovel/pitch-fork and an hours time equals 50.00?????? WOW

JCRalston07
02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't it is outragous for $50 an hour for install. Most of my mulch jobs I just quote a flat rate like $75 per yard installed. This covers the mulch cost and install/delivery. I usually get brown hardwood under $20 a yard. If the customer wants the more expensive mulch i.e. color or triple shredded the rate goes up to $85 or $90.

There is alot more to professional mulch jobs than wheelbarrow and a shovel. Beds have to be edged, pre-emergent put down, clean-up, ect...

SMITHSCAPE
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I charge a mark-up on the price of the mulch plus an hourly rate to deliver and install.

punt66
02-09-2010, 09:37 PM
HOLY CRAP I WISH I LIVED IN GEORGIA......50$ FOR 1 CUBIC YD. FOR INSTALL????????? people around here would ask me to take a breathalizer test if i quoted them that much................How in the h. e. double hockey sticks do you figure that one man, one wheelbarrow, one shovel/pitch-fork and an hours time equals 50.00?????? WOW

75 yd here....

Freedom Lawn Service
02-10-2010, 01:37 AM
If you want to get more per mulch job be a salesmen not a landscaper. If an average house takes 3 yards what do you think the customer is willing to pay to get a finished product they will be happy with? I have installed 3 yards for $150 and I have installed 3 yards for $375. All jobs are different, stop worrying about what is good for the customer and start worrying about what's good for you. If the job is easy, quote it that way. If you have to walk it an 1/8th mile to the back of the house, quote it that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Uncle Josh
02-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Do you offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on all your work??? From the way you are talking bud, you are another one of those guys who got laid off from his original job because he wasn't one of the most efficient employees there so you are putting just enough into your landscaping work just to get by therefore making just enough money to get by, and underpricing everything you touch or even look at, making, in effect, the entire market less profitable for everyone else out there in your line of work, including yourself. Or is it that you are a drunk who is just out to make enough quick cash for some quick drinks? That would explain why all your customers want you to take a breathalizer test. My customers are 90% customers I have gotten by word-of-mouth. What does that tell you bud??? I do fantastic work, exceed my customers' expectations, and am fair with my prices for my area and the local market. Also, when you charge someone a profitable, yet, fair price for a good or service, they feel more like they are "getting something". Like the other gentleman just said, "be a salesman, not a landscaper".