PDA

View Full Version : how long does seed last past expiration

ricsin1
02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I came on a bag of Lesco Transition Blend fescue seed for 1/2 price because the expiration date was coming up ( April 2010 ) and they know they wouldnt be able to sell this anymore in the fall........

my question is HOW FAR after the expiration date can I use this seed... I was going to put it down on the 1st day of Spring but my plans were ruined due to a pre-emergent my lawn care company put down (they are against spring overseeding ) ..

If the germination rate of the Lesco Transition Blend is 90% - with an expiration date of April 2010 - HOW FAR after the expiration date can I use this seed... ? can i still use in the fall ( September 2010 ) ??

Smallaxe
02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
If it was not properly stored, it may not be good now. If properly stored it can last for years, depending on the viability/virility, of the original seed.

Maple Wood
02-06-2010, 11:31 AM
If it was stored in a dry place I would not worry too much about the seed. Most of the time the seed % of germination starts to diminish with age. You can do a germ test to see what you have. If say 80% of the seed germinates, then you just bump up your seeding rate a little to compensate.

SangerLawn
02-07-2010, 02:50 AM
I am also against spring seeding especially in the south where it gets hot fast. Most turfs that need seeded are a cool season type of turf. This means it will need the winter months to grow a strong root system. If it doesn’t have time to grow a deep root system, it will come up and look excellent but then as soon as it gets warm it will die…..plus, as soon as you aerate or power seed you will be putting heat directly to the root system. That will kill it even faster.

I say don’t waste your money on the seed. With pre-emergence down and the heat combined with an old bag of seed, I believe this will turn into more of a head ack then its worth….wait till fall and buy a new bag of seed.

froglawn
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
just dont let the seed get damp...keeping seed in dry conditions is very key

Envi-Lawn
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
When seed labels indicate expiration, if not sold, the seed is sent back to a lab for re-testing. The germination rate will likely be lower, and a new tag will be issued to that same bag of seed, with a new expiration date indicating the change. Then it goes back on the shelf .

lawnlandscape
02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
I am accually wounding about this same thing. This is the first year I have had a lot seed left over. I will use it this spring, but I have about $500 of seed in the garage from last year. :dizzy:

It sitting out in the cold cold cold will not hurt it. Its on pallets, so its not sitting in water. Would I be better to move extra seed in the basement in future years, or would that be even a worse spot for it? :nono:

Maple Wood
02-18-2010, 07:07 PM
There is a seed fault in Greenland. They store all the seeds for posterity. Those seeds are stored at a very cold temp -18 C.
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/doomsday-global-seed-vault-opens-its-doors-today

It will be ok at cold temps.

lawnlandscape
02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
There is a seed fault in Greenland. They store all the seeds for posterity. Those seeds are stored at a very cold temp -18 C.
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/doomsday-global-seed-vault-opens-its-doors-today

It will be ok at cold temps.

Very interesting :) thx

RigglePLC
02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Expiration date? What about the seed testing date--what was the germination then? Cold dry conditions are best. High humidity and high temps are worst. Compensate by using a higher seeding rate. You can send it to a seed testing laboratory. Or just plant 100 seeds inside--count the percent emergence.

RigglePLC
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
What about the customer? Are you planning to lie to him about the quality of seed you are sowing? Would he appreciate it if you used old expired or low-quality seed? It would be wise to plant 100 seeds indoors in a flower pot or coffee cup as the customer watches. Then when the seed comes up--at least you can say it germinated 80 percent or 70 percent or whatever. And you can explain how you used twice as much seed to compensate for potential low-emergence--or of seedlings that are weak and spindly.
Do you want to accept the risk of a reseed in fall or damage to your reputation or of non-payment?

lawnlandscape
02-19-2010, 01:13 PM
What about the customer? Are you planning to lie to him about the quality of seed you are sowing? Would he appreciate it if you used old expired or low-quality seed? It would be wise to plant 100 seeds indoors in a flower pot or coffee cup as the customer watches. Then when the seed comes up--at least you can say it germinated 80 percent or 70 percent or whatever. And you can explain how you used twice as much seed to compensate for potential low-emergence--or of seedlings that are weak and spindly.
Do you want to accept the risk of a reseed in fall or damage to your reputation or of non-payment?

I did some more research, as well as actually calling my seed supplier. All the research shows & my supplier agreed, that the % of germination would have dropped 5% at max from where it was at when I got the bag new. Your over reacting juuuuuuust bit .. Even it if would only germinate at about 70% (which it won't) I will still get over 90% with it, why would I need to seed at TWICE the rate? That would be crazy. :hammerhead: