PDA

View Full Version : steps to starting a lawn care business

hbellew0369
02-06-2010, 08:58 PM
i need help in this and need suggestions for equipment to start with. What options should i offer to customers and pricing. Should i be my own accountant and is it possible to create a 100k business. Thanks!

SangerLawn
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
First, welcome to the site…I am from Huntsville Alabama born and raised, moved to Indiana about 10 years ago.

Call your insurance company and let them know what you are planning on doing. They will explain the rates and what you need.

Think up a company name then go to your local court house and have that name searched. They will let you know if it is registered or not. Once you register it they will give you a document showing that it is your business name….think the cost is around $15.00…it’s been along time since I did this.

Get you Tax id number. This is not a must, you can use your social number but…in long term you will need a tax ID number.

Take your tax id number (or socail number) and the document you got from the court house and go get a business bank account in your business name.

Contact an attorney and or get online and get your DBA, LLC, or whatever you want to run your business.

Call your local state police office and ask to speak with a DOT officer to find out if your GWR of your truck and trailer is over the weight regulations. DOT number will probably be needed for you to operate.

Call CheckCare, they handle all bad checks that get written to you. It is a one time fee. I think it cost $50.00 to open an account.

Go get you some customers and make some money.

Yes, 100k is with in reason on expectations however it will not happen for at least 3 years unless you get lucky and land some really good accounts.

John Deere Mann
02-07-2010, 10:20 AM
First, welcome to the site…I am from Huntsville Alabama born and raised, moved to Indiana about 10 years ago.

Call your insurance company and let them know what you are planning on doing. They will explain the rates and what you need.

Think up a company name then go to your local court house and have that name searched. They will let you know if it is registered or not. Once you register it they will give you a document showing that it is your business name….think the cost is around $15.00…it’s been along time since I did this.

Get you Tax id number. This is not a must, you can use your social number but…in long term you will need a tax ID number.

Take your tax id number (or socail number) and the document you got from the court house and go get a business bank account in your business name.

Contact an attorney and or get online and get your DBA, LLC, or whatever you want to run your business.

Call your local state police office and ask to speak with a DOT officer to find out if your GWR of your truck and trailer is over the weight regulations. DOT number will probably be needed for you to operate.

Call CheckCare, they handle all bad checks that get written to you. It is a one time fee. I think it cost $50.00 to open an account.

Go get you some customers and make some money.

Yes, 100k is with in reason on expectations however it will not happen for at least 3 years unless you get lucky and land some really good accounts.

Wow! Couldn't say any better then this!:clapping::):clapping::clapping:

vanncann
02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Advertise, Advertise, Advertise!!!

ProcsLC
02-07-2010, 11:18 AM
The only thing I would add is to make a business plan...

If this is going to be your full time gig then you need to plan for the busy season, what to do when the phone's not ringing.. How to handle a new potential customer... Design a logo and start branding name recognition... Figure out your total cost of being in business so you know if and when you make a profit... etc etc...

If you don't know how to plan a business then you are not going to have any success in running one. Go to the library or get online and learn about putting together a proper business plan, it will be the first important document you ever create for your business.

climber338
02-08-2010, 12:10 AM
just something else to add. If you have a steady job right now i would keep it just in case your company goes up in flames. Equipment is $$$$$$ so if i were you i would start out with small equipment and keep your over head low. If your company does happen to go up in flames then you dont have a huge amount of money to pay off. Going by the rules keeps you safe and SangerLawn said what you need to do.

Grass Shark
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Sanger did you right the book?

tinman
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
100 k is possible,,, anything is possible. I would hire an accountant or take a class on Quickbooks.

froglawn
02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
100k is very possible!

zima
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Stay away from debt,and sometimes no matter how much advice you get always learn from your mistakes and do better next time .

Gold Star Lawns
02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
get some insurance

Jesusdied4U
02-20-2010, 08:04 PM
What would a person starting out expect to pay for insurance. I have one z mower, trailer, and truck.. I only do 4 lawns but i have been thinking of doing more. in turn it i want to cover my assets as well. thank you,

Bob_n_weave
02-20-2010, 09:43 PM
What would a person starting out expect to pay for insurance. I have one z mower, trailer, and truck.. I only do 4 lawns but i have been thinking of doing more. in turn it i want to cover my assets as well. thank you,

$400 - $850 a year range depending on location,deductable,medical coverage,equipment rider in case of theft etc.

Jesusdied4U
02-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Thank you for the quick response..

BearWise Landscapers
02-23-2010, 11:11 AM

get some insurance

Insurance rates will differ from state to state. It is also hard to compare premiums without looking at what coverages they provide.

For small lawn care businesses, I recommend the following coverages:

1. General Liability Insurance (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/topics/liability/) with limits of 1,000,000 per occurence and 2,000,000 for the policy

2. Commercial Auto Insurance (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/topics/auto/) with combined limits of at least 300,000, but 1,000,000 is much better.

3. Equipment Floater Insurance (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/topics/equipment/) with limits high enough to cover the value of your equipment and with appropriate coverage for exposures like theft.

4. Workers Compensation Insurance (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/topics/workerscomp/) if you have any employees.

Here is an article to read more about these recommended coverages for lawn care businesses (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2009/small-landscaper/).

Without employees, the premium for general liability insurance should be 400 to 500 dollars. Equipment floater insurance should be 1% to 4% of the value of your equipment. Commercial auto insurance should be roughly what your personal auto policy costs if the limits are the same.

Let me know if you have any questions.

plc87
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I am also starting up full time this year and just purchased liability insurance for $300 and that's 1,000,000 per occurrence and 2,000,000 aggregate for the year. To cover my equipment which is a new hustler Z, trailer, blower, trimmer etc thats worth about 13,000 it cost me $100 for the year. I got an awesome rate on my truck with the same insurance company my dad goes through, $495 for the YEAR and that's $1,000,000 bodily injury, 1,000,000 property damage and 500 for medical payments. However I had about 5 other places quote me and the next best quoets were about 550 for business including covering equipment and around $1,000 for the truck which also allows you to use yoru truck for personal use as well... hope this helps