PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reviews on New Holland LS185b skidsteer

denver 2
02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Any advice from owner/operators of the NH LS185b skidsteer as to pro's and con's of this machine would be helpful. I have always own Bobcats (773 & S185) but a deal has come up for a bigger machine I find tempting. Thanks.

AtoZ
02-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I purchased a 2007 NH L185 with 90 hours on it in September - mainly for snow removal with a 8' Snow Wolf plow combo Pusher... I can honestly say at first I didn't like it when comparing it to my 2001 NH LS160. The 185's primary uses is snow plowing and a backup second machine...

It has the 3 cylinder Cummins motor, electronic everything - including electronic parking brake, still don't like that one, and two speed. After having a two speed machine I will never buy a single speed machine again...

Visibility is good once you get used to a large frame skid steer - definitely not as good as the LS 160 though. The electronic controls took a little getting used to in the beginning coming from a 100% mechanical linkage machine. Fast response - a little slower response when wanting to stop or change direction. All in all good after you get the hang of it.

Having more power, higher ground clearance and bigger tires have gotten me through some very tough slopes and mucky areas where my buddies Bobcat would only get stuck and bottom out... We put in a 100 ton boulder limestone wall in November '09 and when we were excavating out the hill we hit several small springs, which we subsequently had to do invasive tile work. Ground conditions rapidly deteriorated to the point that we were working in and around 18" to 24" of mud. We had three skid loaders on the job - NH LS160, NH L185 and my buddies/homeowners Bobcat 250. After hitting the springs the Bobcat could no longer travel through or work in the area we were putting the wall in. It got stuck every time... However I though for sure I was going to need a tracked skidloader but both of the New Hollands never got stuck...

After plowing with the 185 about 5 times now - I feel I have a pretty good handle on it... After my initial poor experience of using it for the first time - I have grown to really enjoy operating it. It's hard to beat a New Holland for precision and detail work. I'm glad I purchased the 185 when I did because I got a screamin deal. Doing the little bit of plowing that I've done has paid for the machine for the next 6 months...

Fire away with any questions - I have owned and operated New Holland Skids for the past 10 years. Thinking about getting VTS for the 185 - hmmmmm...
What shall I do............

denver 2
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks AtoZ for your input. I'm not sure if the unit I'm looking is electronic controlled or not. It is a 2005 model with Handles similar looking to a Bobcat's except one handle appears to have a toggle of some sort. I'm looking at photo's from a unit out of state. I will need to test drive a unit here locally and see if I like it before I make an offer.

bobcat_ron
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Their engines are just too small, but they have good loader power, but weak drive torque.

jcbgm
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Denver, PM sent.