PDA

View Full Version : Creating a good seed bed

gilliamlawn
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I was wandering if anyone had any ideas for creating a good seed bed on an existing lawn. When we aerate the seed will mostly germinate where the plugs are pulled. i would like for the seed to make better contact with the soil. Thanks for your help

LawnSolutionsCP
02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I was wandering if anyone had any ideas for creating a good seed bed on an existing lawn. When we aerate the seed will mostly germinate where the plugs are pulled. i would like for the seed to make better contact with the soil. Thanks for your help

Any "good" power seeder will germinate 10x the amount of see than using an aerator. There is no compairison between the 2 machines.

We make some pretty good power seeder.

David Cook
President
Lawns Solutions Commercial Product

Darryl G
02-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah, you get that baby doll hair look. If your holes are close enough it will usually fill in though. I've heard that some people use a drag mat after they aerate and overseed to break up the plugs and distribute the soil a bit but I've never tried that approach.

Stevegotcrabgrass
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
power raking can work and you can broadcast. Slit seeding is better and gets better results for me. I have also had good results spreading 1/2 the seed, aerating, and spreading the other half of my seed. I have seen people use a section of chain link fence dragged behind a mower to break up the clumps......

DiyDave
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, you get that baby doll hair look. If your holes are close enough it will usually fill in though. I've heard that some people use a drag mat after they aerate and overseed to break up the plugs and distribute the soil a bit but I've never tried that approach.

If you are getting the cornrow, or baby doll hair look, you are putting out too much seed. Look at it this way: Your basic walk behind power seeder is 20 inches wide, with 10 blades which, at most till 10 little 1/4" grooves into the lawn. 10 X 1/4" = 2.5" tilled. Ratio of area tilled to area seeded is 2.5/20 = .125. Multiply .125 by the seeding rate for, lets say 5lbs fescue/1000 square feet, and you come up with .625 or 5/8 of a pound seed /1000 sf. If you apply less seed, you won't have the cornrow effect. you should cut that rate even more, if you go over the lawn twice with the power seeder. You could do the math on a core aerator, too, but it takes more thinking, than I want to take on, right now, as my feet are in the Homedics massaging foot bath, defrosting from yet another 5 hour stint of snow plowing.:laugh::laugh::waving:

Darryl G
02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
If you're not supposed to use too much seed, then why do they call it overseeding??? :p

Looks like you're not going to get much rest. More snow on the way for you, but at least it will pay us a visit up north this time too. I got 3 flakes from the last storm. I was about to start on my spring cleanups to try to get some cash in, lol.

gilliamlawn
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks, I will study more on this. i have heard of people using rakes, or drags behind the aerator, The power seeder seems the way I should go. Appreciate the help

froglawn
02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
you could try topdressing as well.

DoetschOutdoor
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Or simply pull more plugs. If the lawn is so bare that you are getting the croprow effect, pull some more plugs in multiple directions and overseed. Turf has a beautiful way of spreading and if you have the ground tore up real good, you should have grass coming up all over the place.