PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Trucks

weed wacker 2
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like all trucks are over priced these days. The dealers think your truck is worthless and theirs are gold. I guess these days its just best to hold on to your truck forever or buy older trucks to work out of.

rcslawncare
02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
exactly, thats how they make the big money. Best to buy used and keep them till the rust away!

greenbaylawns
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
you can't even drive around the lots without the salesmen running you down. I hate that. Just leave me alone till I come to you.

WHIPPLE5.7
02-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Screw car lots. Craigslist is the best deals. The same trucks on Craigslist for $10K are on the car lots for $15K. I try to keep my spending on trucks around $10K because you can get into something decent and likely reliable for an affordable price. The only way I'd spend $50K on a pickup is if I was so rich I was wiping my crack with $100 bills. My 1996 2500 Chevy has served me very well and it was $10K about 6 years ago. I still prefer it over my newer lower miles Dodge Cummins. I know a guy who buys brand new Super Duty Fords every year and his trucks spend more time getting worked on than anything I've ever seen. He pimps them out and trades in at a huge loss. $50K truck, $3K lift, $4K wheels/tires, $2K other stuff for total of around $60K. One year later trades in and gets $30K trade just to do it all over again. I get 6-8 years out of a $10K truck and around $2K in repairs.

360ci
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Don't forget, but buying used, at least in Ontario, you only pay one tax instead of two if you had bought the same vehicle at a dealer.

Newer vehicles I find are mainly for people who lease, knowing that they can hand the keys back after 2-4 years. You might pay slightly more for it, but it's less to deal with down the road as far as repairs go. Still, technology has a price. I prefer the older trucks myself, pre 2004 models when they were built to a purpose, not a price point.

The only way to order a good, everyday work truck is the 1500 series, where you can get a short box, 2wd, ext cab and a V6. Granted, it can't plow or do as much as a 3/4 ton, but if both units are new, I could get a 1/2 ton for just over $24K before tax with current incentives. A 2500 series gas model, about $44K base quad cab. Diesel adds another $10K here in Canada, including the mandatory automatic transmission except for Dodge who still offers a manual so you can save nearly $2K.

Personally, I prefer Dodge vehicles for ease of maintenance and compared to GM or Ford for that matter, properly maintained, they'll all last the same. For a while I thought about giving GM a try, as the suspensions are better (read: more compliant loaded or not) than the competition. I have yet to drive the new Dodge 1500 with the coil rear suspension, but again, I think in the end it'll be more costly to repair. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Solid axle truck, front and rear, is the best work horse you can get, and if you can find a well maintained used unit in decent shape, it'd be the best one to buy. Even buying new, after dealer and manufacturer incentives, the minute you drive it off the lot, you can expect to lose $2-5K in depreciation right off the bat.

stuvecorp
02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I'd agree trucks are way over priced but what are we going to do? Got to have them.

valeofparadiseLLC
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
With our five trucks they are all used and work fine. I have no problem spending for repairs as I have no other overhead in the form of truck payments. If business is slow I can idle a truck and it does not cost me any money and I can put it back in service very easy. I just can't seem to justify spending big bucks on a truck hauling a trailer that is going to get dinged up by workers who just don't care.

MikeKle
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I thought this too when I was truck shopping a couple years ago. You are nearing $45-$50K for a one ton!!! and sometimes more! and 3/4 tons arent much cheaper either? The last time I checked 4x4 option is around $1200.-$1500 , but there is always a HUGE price difference in 2wd and 4wd trucks???? For the price of a new 3/4 or one ton you could easily buy a medium duty truck( other than the fords), that doesnt make much sense? Trucks are way overpriced, its a truck for gods sake,not a luxury car!!

TXNSLighting
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought this too when I was truck shopping a couple years ago. You are nearing $45-$50K for a one ton!!! and sometimes more! and 3/4 tons arent much cheaper either? The last time I checked 4x4 option is around $1200.-$1500 , but there is always a HUGE price difference in 2wd and 4wd trucks???? For the price of a new 3/4 or one ton you could easily buy a medium duty truck( other than the fords), that doesnt make much sense? Trucks are way overpriced, its a truck for gods sake,not a luxury car!!

Nearing 45-50k?? Man theyre all there already and have been for a few years..Dodges new single wheels are 50k now..

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Trucks are way overpriced, its a truck for gods sake,not a luxury car!!

Mine is.:rolleyes:

360ci
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
4x4 option in Canada is on average 3K. I'd love to only pay $1500 for the 4x4 hardware! But, nothing new there, us Canucks always get ripped off. Even on GM trucks, when they were still produced here in Ontario, it'd be the same price to order one through a US dealer, pay taxes, customs brokerage fees, etc, than to buy one locally.

A lot of vehicles I wouldn't mind considering, I can't, only because 2wd isn't an option. The main problem is trim level, a lot of times most vehicles can be had with next to no options, but when a Canadian dealer orders a vehicle, even in base trim, it's still $4-6K more than what you could find a similar truck in the US for.

Jumping up a class to a medium duty, such as F450, 550 or a GM C4500 for instance will be in the $65K+ range in Canada, that's with no box, so add on another $4-15K for that. With taxes included it'd easily tip the scales at $100K.

A fully loaded dually in Ontario can run easily into the $70K range.

As for a truck being a luxury car, I think that answers itself, as comparing a truck with a 'car' as mentioned, makes no sense. A guy won't cross shop a Mercedes, with an F350 dually, lol. If he does, I'm sure he's twice divorced, lives by himself and has mental issues.

MikeKle
02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
My next rig is going to be a freightliner FL-50, big truck, but not too big, and still much cheaper than any one ton or f450 or f550, and plus I will get the awesome freightliner engine or CAT engine? WHy are these so much cheaper than a one ton? Probably because not as big a market for the FL50 as a normal one ton. I have come to the conclusion that around here i dont even need 4wd, with all that snow we just had, not once did I have to engage the front wheels, and I even pulled a few cars out of ditches, A 2wd FL50 with a flat bed or a small dumper will do me fine. Ive even seen a used 2004 with 40K miles on sale for less than $15K. What kind of one ton could I get for that..not much!

WHIPPLE5.7
02-12-2010, 06:38 PM
My next rig is going to be a freightliner FL-50, big truck, but not too big, and still much cheaper than any one ton or f450 or f550, and plus I will get the awesome freightliner engine or CAT engine? WHy are these so much cheaper than a one ton? Probably because not as big a market for the FL50 as a normal one ton. I have come to the conclusion that around here i dont even need 4wd, with all that snow we just had, not once did I have to engage the front wheels, and I even pulled a few cars out of ditches, A 2wd FL50 with a flat bed or a small dumper will do me fine. Ive even seen a used 2004 with 40K miles on sale for less than $15K. What kind of one ton could I get for that..not much!

Good point. Trucks like that were designed to last 1,000,000 miles. For $15K why not?

mike lane lawn care
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
The problem with truck prices is that trucks are becoming more like cars. You can't buy an extended cab truck without adding power everything. trucks now come with every option you would find in a Mercedes or BMW. heated seats, cooled seats(although I do love mine in the summer, keeps em nice and cool) heated, power folding mirrors, heated windshield, power seats, 6 disc Bose sound systems, hydraulic body mounts and magnetic suspension, luxury styled interiors, sunroofs, satellite radio, satellite navigation, some even have WI-FI built into them, and some have computers built into the nav system. this is why prices have gone through the roof.

360ci
02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
this is why prices have gone through the roof.

Exactly. Basic HD trucks are becoming almost non existent. This is mainly due to consumer demand. The people who have the money and don't need a truck, but one, so GM builds to suit that market segment because adding options means more profit for GM. This is one of the many reasons why the economy tanked to begin with. Not to start a flame war or anything but everyone's wants outweigh the needs.

I attribute this factor alone to why a lot of small businesses fail within the first year. Owners spend more than they make and don't realize their fault until its too late. Not only that, but they're so thick that they'll lease a BIG LOADED TRUCK, car, whatever, only to save a couple hundred bucks a month if they had financed. So, after 8 months, Bob loses his business and is still responsible for paying a $1500/mo truck payment. Or, they'll buy a new truck, and be scared to even get it dirty. It's a shame.

deerewashed
02-12-2010, 09:11 PM
ya an xl f-150 ext cab has power windows and its xl...and may i add it has power windows in the back seat of the ext cab

JB1
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
everything is expensive, everybody has got different ideas on this, myself all I buy is new trucks, I know what I'm getting that away. They all are the same color and lettered the same and look good. I like to look good when we roll, yes they are expensive but if your charging what you should be its not a problem.

360ci
02-12-2010, 11:02 PM
everything is expensive, everybody has got different ideas on this, myself all I buy is new trucks, I know what I'm getting that away. They all are the same color and lettered the same and look good. I like to look good when we roll, yes they are expensive but if your charging what you should be its not a problem.

A lot of larger operators buy new to get the fleet discounts available, order the trucks to their specs, and they know the previous maintenance!

MikeKle
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
The power options are great, but I would really prefer the basic truck with roll up windows and manual locks. But to get a truck like this you have to buy used or move up to medium duty, they do not have all that luxury crap on them, I think they still use the vinyl bench seats and rubber flooring too?

If Im not mistaken you can still buy any truck new like this, you just have to order it that way usually, and those are normally exempt from any special deals or promotions they are offering, so in many cases, it may be cheaper to actually get the loaded truck when you factor in the promotions and deals.